JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With something a little harder to kill :devil:

50 inches of love

I figure I may get a few MPG out of it as well seeing as i will not have that ginormous air dam of a light rack up there :laughing:
(just in case you have not figured it out, the Rigid E-series is replacing my 5 35w HID bar in the same location)

You will see a full review and main page writeup that will not only include comparing my old HID's to Rigid's LED's but also on correctly wiring it and other common electrical items.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Can't wait to see the outcome of this. I am thinking about getting one of the 50 inch bars to go along with my D2's and 20 inch bar

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Welcome home Doc.

I personally think you should keep them both. If the sun starts to go dim you could recharge it.:beer:

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome home Doc.

I personally think you should keep them both. If the sun starts to go dim you could recharge it.:beer:
Thanks, I get to be "home" for a month or so and then I leave for SoCal for a year.

I have been getting shit for that light bar since I installed it :laughing: Funny how no one bitches when something needs to be lit up :thefinger:

I am going to see if the Rigid bar makes my HIDs look like a joke. Its already a hell of a lot easier to install and wire :laughing: I will have to get a new much smaller actuator eventually to make it aim-able like my HIDs are.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I am going to see if the Rigid bar makes my HIDs look like a joke. .
My bet would be like night and day.

Dang I wish I had one of those.

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My bet would be like night and day.

Dang I wish I had one of those.
I will be doing a throw and distance measurement using both actual light thrown and usable light (like being able to read/ID something at a distance)

I know it will already kick its ass in power draw and durability.

Start small, you don't have to dive in the deep end of the pool like I did :laughing: they sell smaller bars and pods like the Dually's. I may pick up a set of them to replace my driving lights.

·
Registered
969 Posts
subscribed!
Doc that is going to be incredible.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Nice Doc... I know you'll enjoy it.

·
Registered
11,064 Posts
Nice to have you back. That light bar looks good. I was a little slow to warm up to them. The whole square and rectangular thing just looked odd. But now that they have been out a while not so much. The power draw difference I would imagine is drastically lower.

Looking forward to the write-up:beer:
Welcome home Doc.

Nice, I really did laugh out loud.

·
Registered
52 Posts
try to sell the whole rack as one unit first and if no go then the rack and lights separate.
I am sure there is a jeeper or a small airstrip that could use it :laughing:
Let me know if you do decide to sell your old light bar set up, i am in the process of collecting materials to make my own, and if you no longer need/want yours i'd be happy to take it off your hands.

-jackson

side note: i'm kinda jealous, not gonna lie

·
Registered
229 Posts
I will be doing a throw and distance measurement using both actual light thrown and usable light (like being able to read/ID something at a distance)
For practical purposes related to human vision, target acquisition, & object identification, place a ROYGBIV card at about 25 feet and compare the two arrays for SPD/CRI/CCT. These are the sorts of things that usually get ignored but make a lot of difference to the operator, especially when things are happening fast and with consequences.
I'd expect the LEDs to perform better across the board in this sort of test.

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
I say, leave it like this and hook it up.

I'm sure I'll be able to tell when you have the lights on down here in Orlando.

:laughing:

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Are you hunting vampires with that thing? Haha.
nope, just 2 legged omnivorous :D

For practical purposes related to human vision, target acquisition, & object identification, place a ROYGBIV card at about 25 feet and compare the two arrays for SPD/CRI/CCT. These are the sorts of things that usually get ignored but make a lot of difference to the operator, especially when things are happening fast and with consequences.
I'd expect the LEDs to perform better across the board in this sort of test.
I plan on measuring out and placing a readable 6" letter at like 25, 50, 100, 200, 300 and so on till I can no longer read it.
As for the color chart it is kinda subjective. I will set the camera to daylight balance but the human eye has a tendency to see color off a little when the rods in your eyes are used.
It also depends on the temp color you choose for LED or HID

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
try to sell the whole rack as one unit first and if no go then the rack and lights separate.
I am sure there is a jeeper or a small airstrip that could use it :laughing:
Hmmm... I might need some more lights on my jeep. :innocent:

·
Registered
229 Posts
I plan on measuring out and placing a readable 6" letter at like 25, 50, 100, 200, 300 and so on till I can no longer read it.
As for the color chart it is kinda subjective. I will set the camera to daylight balance but the human eye has a tendency to see color off a little when the rods in your eyes are used.
It also depends on the temp color you choose for LED or HID
Yeah, that's what I mean.
When I did my testing, I had to choose a constant for white balance and try to level the playing field.
I finally chose settings that would eliminate the first LUX or two of background light --- moon/star light, ambient from city splooge-lighting, etc.
The result of that is that you can see the artifacts from the lamps more clearly and the beamshots aren't as impressive.
But I used a light meter at 25 yard intervals at the same height on either side of the road. It's easy to fool the human eye but you can't fool a meter...

I really like my LED headlights, driving lights, and floods, btw. The light just agrees with me much more than the HIDs. In fact, my HIDs are sitting on my work bench and I'm not sure what to do with them.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Sub'd. Love to see the results once you get this thing connected and tested. Debating on whether or not to add a light bar up top and if this LED bar works out right, it just might help make that decision a little easier.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts