JKOwners Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
So my parking brake kit came in. I have to recommend the company "Control Cables" as they do awesome cables. I used them for the e-brake on my 14 bolt and now for this. They are quick turn around and they do really nice stuff.

I basically used a lever, and then a splitter for the e-brake.

This is the top view of the actual brake mechanism.

I then threaded a hole into the frame so that I could use a retainer to hold the cable against the frame.

This is the splitter going to each cable which I just welded to the frame.

This is the handle mounted to the spare tire carrier, behind it, and connected.

I decided to run it through the frame so the cable wasn't handing down.

I also made the mounting plate for the nose jack. I really like the jack, but the plate was silly big, so I cut it down.

I then welded a piece of 3/8 to the receiver and bolted it on. It hangs down a little but there is no way around that. I really wanted to use this jack, but given the height of the frame with the 40's I had no choice but to mount like this. I mounted it with the hinge farther from the hitch so that I could actually lift it higher given the angle.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
So I got started on doing the skin this weekend, and made pretty good progress. I just tacked it in place and will then weld it over a couple of days.

·
Comfortably Numb
12,289 Posts
Damn nice Keith. I like the assembly and thought behind it. I would weld in some gussets at the struts /trailer tongue/ bed junction just for extra torsional support.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Damn nice Keith. I like the assembly and thought behind it. I would weld in some gussets at the struts /trailer tongue/ bed junction just for extra torsional support.
Good idea.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Got the fenders and sides completely welded in. I also added the plate for the front V and the side steps. I wanted something a little different so I used some 11ga, 1" holes plate. It turned out pretty cool. The floor is in and partially welded.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Holy crap.............the thing is basically done.

Here it is on its maiden voyage to get registered.

And here it is with the lid on. I still have to get it painted and Rhino-lined, and there are a few other small things with the latches, but it is basically done.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
That came out fantastic.

When do you go into production?:thefinger:

Any idea on final weight?
Ha ha (and when hell freezes over). This thing ended up being a lot more work than I expected.

As for weight, I don't know but will end up weighing it at some point. Just the wheels are probably close to 500lbs. The Timbren axles, hubs and electric brakes are really heavy as well. I am guessing somewhere around 1500, but who knows, it is probably closer to 2000. It is pretty big. The outside dimension of the tub is 84 by 63.

I towed it up some hills by my house and the Jeep did fine, and stayed cool enough. I guess I will find out Wednesday when I head to EJS. There are some big hills on my drive there.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts