JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone around the northeast area want to help install the Offroad Evo rocker skins I've had sitting around since Christmas? A guy from work was going to help but he keeps backing out. I have no experience drilling precision holes or using rivnuts, or have a rivnut tool. Anyone? I'll drive to you. I'm located in Watkins Glen, NY.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Anyone around the northeast area want to help install the Offroad Evo rocker skins I've had sitting around since Christmas? A guy from work was going to help but he keeps backing out. I have no experience drilling precision holes or using rivnuts, or have a rivnut tool. Anyone? I'll drive to you. I'm located in Watkins Glen, NY.
Hope you find someone close to help

Sent via Telegraph.

·
Heat'n and a beat'n...
3,953 Posts
You need to install them with 4 bolts first, one on each corner. Once you have them installed with 4 bolts, then mark the rest of the holes with a new sharpie. Take the armor off, then use a center punch to lightly punch in the middle of each hole mark. I just eye balled the center when i installed mine. Once you lightly punch the center of each hole, start with a 1/8 bit and work youre way up 1/8 at a time until you get the hole to the right size. Thats what i did.

You can also install them with 4 bolts, leave them on and drill the holes using the armor as a guide. That will take the powder coat off of the inside of the holes, but i bet the holes will be in the right place. Actually, i think the holes for the nutcerts will be a little bigger than the holes in the armor, but doing it as i described will be a good start.

I hope this helped.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I get the general idea, I just don't want to try it by myself, or learn how to do it alone on my Jeep. Plus I have no nursert tool.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
470 Posts
Nutserts are a pain in the ass even with the nutsert tool..... mark the holes, drill them and tack the nutserts. Yes it looks cleaner drilling holes then using a step down bit to make it nice and round but since you are covering it anyways why go through all the work..... even when using the nutsert tool they can still spin on you when tightening.

Just my $.02 on how we installed our sets....

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nutserts are a pain in the ass even with the nutsert tool..... mark the holes, drill them and tack the nutserts. Yes it looks cleaner drilling holes then using a step down bit to make it nice and round but since you are covering it anyways why go through all the work..... even when using the nutsert tool they can still spin on you when tightening.

Just my $.02 on how we installed our sets....

That's exactly how I would like to do them. Nutserts bring the suck without a $700 special tool. We have one of those $1000 tools at work, but I cant take it home. Gioll mentioned the same method. What sucks is I have no access to a welder.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I feel your pain I have a set of Psc armor that I am going to pay more to have them installed than the armor cost.

·
Heat'n and a beat'n...
3,953 Posts
For sure, get the nut cert tool and if you can get a set of these......

....you will be glad you did. If you get the cutters, after you mark the holes, eyeball the center of them and drill a 1/16 or 1/8 hole in the center of the mark, then use the cutter. You dont have to drill each hole 4 or 5 times if you have these bits / cutters.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
When we did mine, me and Terrahawk broke 2 nutsert tools from Harbor Freight, and seriously bent the 3rd one LOL. We ended up just doing it with the nut/bolt and ratchet... It took us about 5 hours to do one friggin side! :bawling: But that included running back & forth to Harbor Freight.

We gave up after that one side. The next weekend I went out to Redneckhouston's place- he has one of those good nutsert tools. Took us less than an hour to do the other side.

So yeah, a good nutsert tool (if you can afford it) definitely cuts down the install time

·
Registered
470 Posts
That's exactly how I would like to do them. Nutserts bring the suck without a $700 special tool. We have one of those $1000 tools at work, but I cant take it home. Gioll mentioned the same method. What sucks is I have no access to a welder.
Gioll is doing some side work installs...... he might be willing to instal these for a few $$$.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gioll is doing some side work installs...... he might be willing to instal these for a few $$$.
Hmm. NYC isn't to bad a drive for a sat or sun, plus I've always wanted to go to NYC at least once in my life. I'll shoot him a PM.

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
The key with nutserts is patience, drilling yours on center, proper tool adjustment and doing about one at a time to keep them all properly lined up. Even with the pneumatic nutsert tool that I have, it could be a tedious job if rushed and details aren't payed attention to. My rear skins took a lot of time but they fit perfect and I had no issues with nutserts.

Plus, use a broach bit to make a perfect hole and the exact size hole required. It will save you possible headaches. I know mine are not coming loose after time etc.

That is next for my body armor.

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
For sure, get the nut cert tool and if you can get a set of these......

....you will be glad you did. If you get the cutters, after you mark the holes, eyeball the center of them and drill a 1/16 or 1/8 hole in the center of the mark, then use the cutter. You dont have to drill each hole 4 or 5 times if you have these bits / cutters.
YES! get at least the size required. That's what I did. You won't regret it.

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
I get the general idea, I just don't want to try it by myself, or learn how to do it alone on my Jeep. Plus I have no nursert tool.

don't forget a few clamps. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

tip: get similar thickness metal and practice on adjusting the tool and making the holes. Tape everything up first with green masking tape.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts