JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to ORE for their quick and hassle free experience. My JK gussets arrived today, and I am impressed. The quality/ fit/ engineering of this product looks fantastic. I cannot wait to get them installed on my Jeep. Thanks ORE. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Thanks to ORE for their quick and hassle free experience. My JK gussets arrived today, and I am impressed. The quality/ fit/ engineering of this product looks fantastic. I cannot wait to get them installed on my Jeep. Thanks ORE. :)

Stu, I had my procedure done today and as long as you do the lifting I will be able to weld them up in two weeks. Only catch is I need you to do the lifting on mine. :D

·
Premium Member
15,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If i have to come tie you down to make sure you abide by doctors orders, you know I will.....
x2- Joe. I dont want you to take this situation lightly. We have plenty of time, and your recovery will be paramount to your longterm health. You are in Jeanne and my prayers, as is the rest of your tribe. Please take it easy man, and if Kerry or I have to come and add an addition to the house, then we will. It will NOT be pretty or to code, but you've got people willing to help anyway possible.

"I pitty da fool who don't get their bed rest!" :mr-t:

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
x2- Joe. I dont want you to take this situation lightly. We have plenty of time, and your recovery will be paramount to your longterm health. You are in Jeanne and my prayers, as is the rest of your tribe. Please take it easy man, and if Kerry or I have to come and add an addition to the house, then we will. It will NOT be pretty or to code, but you've got people willing to help anyway possible.

"I pitty da fool who don't get their bed rest!" :mr-t:
Im not suppose to be in bed and in two weeks i should be able to do light duty chores

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
I have set here too, just waiting for the time to get around to welding them on.

I'll be interested to see how they fit, as when I offered the upper ones up the springs stopped them going into place. I may be able to get them by lowering the axle, otherwise I'll take the springs out. Be interesting to see how close they are to the springs once in the correct position.

·
Premium Member
15,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll be interested to see how they fit, as when I offered the upper ones up the springs stopped them going into place. I may be able to get them by lowering the axle, otherwise I'll take the springs out. Be interesting to see how close they are to the springs once in the correct position.
In the attached picture- I am hoping that my plan will work, and that the overall strength of the gussets will not be compromised (too much).

On the left is one of the lower gussets. Because I have a RE kit with relocated disconnect mounts, the mount is in the way a little bit. I plan to trim out the portion indicated with sharpie marked lines so that the gusset will fit.

On the right is one of the upper gussets. Like Phil was (I think ) referring to...It appears that the spring may end up being pushed too far inward and upward (causing the springs to make contact with the frame rail). My plan with the upper gussets is to cut out a small portion of the gusset (also indicated with sharpie marker)... so that the bottom coil of the spring will fit into the cut out area, and subsequently allow the spring to sit in place without being pushed up/ in.

Any input/ thoughts on this would be appreciated. Again- I am hoping that doing these small cutouts, will not compromise the integrity of the design/ strength.

Attachments

·
Registered
439 Posts
What all goes in to having these welded on? What all do you have to remove?

·
Premium Member
15,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Remove front wheels.
Remove both upper and lower ball joints/ both sides.
Put gussets in place.
Mark where they are to be welded.
Remove.
Clean surfaces with wire wheel or sand disk.
Put upper gussets in place. Tap w rubber mallet if ness.
Tack drive side/ pass side.
Weld in 1" increments/ alternating drive to pass/ Cool weld surfaces.

Place lower gussets in place.
Tack.
Repeat welding process.
Clean off slag and burn off with cleaner.
Paint.( rattle can, Por 15, whatever kind avail.)

That's it aside from the modifications (shown in the above post) that I need to make for my particular application.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Are You Guys sure that the coils are going to hit the gussets?

I ordered a set a couple of weeks ago and welded them on when I put My lift in. The bottom air bag mount is wider than the coil mount on the axle and everything fit fine on My JK.
Maybe ORE redesigned the gussets and I got the newer ones, but I doubt that they would design a gusset that wouldnt fit the stock set up that its supposed to go on.

Heres a pic of My gussets welded on. The bottom of the gusset rests on the axle tube. I dont see how the coil would hit??

·
Premium Member
15,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I will look again tomorrow, and snap a couple pics, but at least so far- they look like they will not clear. Maybe I am not putting the gussets as far to the outside as they need to be. I at least know I will need to cut out the lower gusset to make room for the RE relocated disconnect mounts.

It took me a long time to post this response cause I am too busy DROOLING over Riverkid's sweet coil over set-up. :thefinger:

Matt/ riverkid- Those rigs both look like they have some nice suspension components. :beer:

·
Premium Member
15,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If "sporty" means "BAD TO THE FRIGGIN BONE" then you are correct. :D

That last pic really shows the set-up well. That is some serious extension there! Very nice.

:beer:

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.