JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a set of 5 OEM 17" Aluminum Wheel from a guy who took them off his 4 door Wrangler Sport. He removed the TPMS Sensors and installed them in his new aftermarket wheels.

I want to remove the 5 16" OEM steel wheels and replace them with the OEM Aluminum wheels. Can I remove the TPMS Sensors from my OEM 16" steel wheels and install them in the OEM 17" aluminum wheels? The guy at the tire shop I'm going to wasn't sure. Thanks...

Paul

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
yes if yours have rubber stems, you will buy new sensor stems. 2-5 bucks each. If they are aluminum bolt in the can just be transfered as is. BUT they like to snap sometimes.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, I have the rubber valve stems, and the 17" wheels came off a 2012 Wrangler. $2-$5 is not bad for new stems, and the peace of mind to know they will seal properly! Is there any requirement to relearn the sensor positions once they are installed back on the Jeep? I.e. should I instruct the tire shop to ensure if a TPMS came out of the front driver's side wheel, it need to be mounted in the same position after the swap? Thanks...

·
Registered
803 Posts
Position of tires with TPMS can be changed without issue

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback! I did the swap and the TPMS Light was on the dash. Manual said to drive for 20 minutes and it would reset. It didn't... The Tire guy did one tire at a time, so the sensors went back to the same position they were on the old tires. Come to find out, he hadn't put enough air in the spare! Aired it up and the light went out within 100 feet!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well there you go. What tires you go with? Or stockers too?
The wheels still had the stock Wrangler SA's, the guy I got them from had only put 2600 miles on 2012 JKU before installing a lift and new tires and wheels. These will last me till I need replacements. Just the stock "S" Package tire and wheel combo improved the looks 100%, and for $400, I don't think I'll regret it!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts