JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking at buying a new(used) daily. Looking at 07-10 Grand Cherokee's.
Here's the question, Probably know the answer but have to ask.... Would it be possible to safely tow my 2 door JK behind it on occasion? Couple trips a year type thing?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dCHxBE4Rw45pBsNfA

·
Registered
275 Posts
Yeah you could get away with it if you buy one with a V8 in it, but I probably wouldn't do it. 6500lbs towing capacity for the v8 model.

I've towed my 4-door with a half-ton truck (Tundra), and it pulls pretty good, but it has a 10,400lbs towing capacity.

·
Registered
397 Posts
With a 6500 lbs towing rating.... not legally. If your JK is typical with armor and all.... your around 5,000 lbs and your trailer is likely 2,000 to 2,800 lbs.

My 25' car hauler is 2,800 lbs and my JK is easily 5,000. My 2017 Ram 5.7L with the Max Tow package has engine, gearing 3.92 ratio, cooling and brake system rated for 9,640 lbs.

By the time I add in recovery gear, misc junk, tools, food and cooler im sure that it's over 8,000 lbs easily.

6,500 lbs just isn't enough unless you have some sort of really light, really dangerous, junk trailer that is built to haul plastic big wheels and your JK isn't really built up much at all.

Then toss the light weight jeep and toy level trailer behind an insufficient Jeep GC and hope that you don't kill someone. Or at least hope that you don't kill many.

Sounds like a really bad idea to me.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
It would not be a pleasant experience. I also have a Tundra that does fine, I would prefer a dielsel 3/4 ton if we towed it more than once or twice a year. Maybe a 3/4 ton suburban or ford excursion if you have to have an SUV.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With a 6500 lbs towing rating.... not legally. If your JK is typical with armor and all.... your around 5,000 lbs and your trailer is likely 2,000 to 2,800 lbs.

My 25' car hauler is 2,800 lbs and my JK is easily 5,000. My 2017 Ram 5.7L with the Max Tow package has engine, gearing 3.92 ratio, cooling and brake system rated for 9,640 lbs.

By the time I add in recovery gear, misc junk, tools, food and cooler im sure that it's over 8,000 lbs easily.

6,500 lbs just isn't enough unless you have some sort of really light, really dangerous, junk trailer that is built to haul plastic big wheels and your JK isn't really built up much at all.

Then toss the light weight jeep and toy level trailer behind an insufficient Jeep GC and hope that you don't kill someone. Or at least hope that you don't kill many.

My Light JK weighs just over 2000kg(4500lbs), aluminum car haulers are around 1500lbs(I believe??) towing capacity on a GC with a hemi is 7200lbs

that's why I thought it would be ok??

I guess best bet is to look for a Ram 1500 or equivalent half ton pick up. Sure a 3/4 ton diesel would be great, but for a couple times a year its not worth the extra costs involved in the purchase.

·
Registered
397 Posts
My Light JK weighs just over 2000kg(4500lbs), aluminum car haulers are around 1500lbs(I believe??) towing capacity on a GC with a hemi is 7200lbs

that's why I thought it would be ok??

I guess best bet is to look for a Ram 1500 or equivalent half ton pick up. Sure a 3/4 ton diesel would be great, but for a couple times a year its not worth the extra costs involved in the purchase.
Have you priced an aluminum car hauler? My aluminum 2,000 gross, single axle, 12x7 dirt bike trailer was over $3,400. A car hauler would likely be around double that. That's spending an awful lot of money to avoid a real tow vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
6,175 Posts
i cannot hardly tell there is anything back there when on freeway. HEMI torque will get it done unless your JK weighs 7000lbs or somethin.

Aluminum tailers are insanely expensive. For the dozen or so annual rides I go upon, maybe 9 are tow trips so the U-Haul suffices for my needs ( plus I have no place to park a trailer at present) for the time being .

:jeep2:

·
Registered
527 Posts

I have to disagree, but typically trailers are about 100 lbs a foot. My 16 foot with a metal deck weighs right at 1600 lbs.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I have to disagree, but typically trailers are about 100 lbs a foot. My 16 foot with a metal deck weighs right at 1600 lbs.
Okay.

·
Registered
10 Posts
For the price of an aluminum trailer you could find a late 90’s or early 2000 truck that would comfortably tow what you want to tow. You could probably get away using a grand Cherokee but you’ll be pretty close to the max and it’s probably not worth the additional wear and tear on the jeep in my opinion.

·
Registered
397 Posts
That's a 25' 10K gross trailer that is 2,800 lbs empty, JKU and a truck with the Max Tow package that is 9,460 rated towing with weight distribution hitch. Call it around 8,000 lbs trailer and Jeep.

·
Registered
364 Posts
For just a couple times a year, a 1/2 ton works. I have an old 01 chevy 5.3 that drags my JKU around. Get a decent trailer. I don’t know your financial situation, it may be a 15+ year old truck budget it may be a new truck budget. But get something with 9k+ in tow capacity and you will not regret it. Another thing is to get a weight distribution hitch. I won’t tow anything more than a lawn tractor on my trailer without the WD bars hooked up. Here is a picture of my setup. It works for my budget, but I would like a newer truck in the next couple years. Likely a diesel.

·
Registered
124 Posts
If I was going to do it with a Grand Cherocar, I'd build a custom trailer for that JK and only that JK. You can build a bare bones car hauler type setup the exactly fits the wheelbase of your JK and nothing else and get the weight down quite a bit while still using conventional materials. But I'm too cheap to buy an aluminum trailer.

Personally I'd just buy a "newer" 1/2 ton Chebby and use that. More than enough towing capacity, and it would probably wheel better than the WK would anyways and have considerably less soccer mom factor. It's exactly what I did actually, since I tow my trailer around with a vehicle on it only a handful of times per year.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts