JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy folks,
I've been reading about car thieves using the OBD port to reprogram vehicles to accept another key to do their dirty deed. Are there any companies in the US making an locking cover for the port ? Found a company called 'Frakking Creations' that makes one version but their in Europe I believe.
Anyone have an alternative. Or creative home grown idea that could be used ? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Cheers.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Well, you could buy male and female 16 pin connectors (or x amount of y pin connectors such that x times y is > 16), cut the OBD wires, then solder the connectors in between. This way you could plug in the obd for your own use, and take it off the car so thieves would have no access to OBD port.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, you could buy male and female 16 pin connectors (or x amount of y pin connectors such that x times y is > 16), cut the OBD wires, then solder the connectors in between. This way you could plug in the obd for your own use, and take it off the car so thieves would have no access to OBD port.
Thanks for the input...but I'm hoping for something that doesn't involve cutting wires cause of warranty concerns. More like some kind of cover for it that is lockable...

·
Registered
154 Posts
The obd2 plug comes out of the bracket easily. then you can zip tie it up and out of the way. A thief is not going to invest a bunch of time to steal your Jeep. If you wanted you can buy a dummy plug to go into the bracket.
I think a switch into the starter relay is the best solution though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.