JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, this is the 3rd O2 replaced and I checked the wiring to make sure that wasn't it. Then, guy at parts store says "it's a Jeep thing"...they have an issue with it.

Is this true ?

8 months to a year is all I get....SUCKS.

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
So, this is the 3rd O2 replaced and I checked the wiring to make sure that wasn't it. Then, guy at parts store says "it's a Jeep thing"...they have an issue with it.

Is this true ?

What did u replace with? OEM on the sensors is your best bet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I wouldn't say it's common. I chased O2 codes for years, only to find the ECU had an issue. Replaced it, and the issue is gone.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1st time replaced was at dealer under warranty, last 2 were local parts store (bosch and can't remember other brand)

But of course one went up at 82K miles, just over the emissions warranty :(

When I put my scanner on it, you can just see the needle sweep low to high to low to high...not just pegged or no reading where the others are fairly steady. I checked the wires best I could. Just thought maybe missing something.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
My issues were very similar. I ran a tablet with the torque app on display for years trying to figure out why I kept getting the code. I finally swapped the ECU with a re-man from here: Flagship One Inc | Pre-Programmed Engine Control Modules | PCM | ECM | ECU

it's been months without a reoccurrence of the code (which would usually come back after a couple of drive cycles)

If you've exhausted your other options, maybe try swapping the ECU.

·
Registered
139 Posts
what code are you getting? The header says right 2nd, does that mean its a downstream o2, after cat. If it is and you are getting a fairly fast high to low switch then your cat is done. Compare upstream to downstream, up should switch fairly fast and down should be significantly slower. Compare to the other bank. If they both switch at the same speed then your cat is done.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Can't remember the code off top of head, but it was the right after cat sensor.

With my scanner, I could see the needle moving rapidly low to high to low to high, just waving like a blade of grass in the wind....until after the new O2 sensor, then is steady like the rest (very little movement.)

·
Registered
139 Posts
That tends to indicate a bad cat. Check the connections on your sensors to see if you can swap the after cat ones from side to side . clear the pcm and see what happens.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
IF the CAT was bad, wouldn't a new sensor still show bad and not be 8 months later ?

Just asking

·
Registered
139 Posts
Usually when you replace a downstream O2 it will take a few drive cycles to run the monitor and pass or fail. If someone is doing only short trips this may take longer.
Going through repeat O2 failure is why I suggested swapping them side to side. See if the code follows the sensor. If not I would suspect a Cat but as suggested PCM?
Downstream O2's never cycle fast unless the cat is done. That's the whole point of monitoring downstream exhaust is to see if the cat is working properly.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Can't remember the code off top of head, but it was the right after cat sensor.

With my scanner, I could see the needle moving rapidly low to high to low to high, just waving like a blade of grass in the wind....until after the new O2 sensor, then is steady like the rest (very little movement.)
That's how it's supposed to look... Upstream moves up and down (.1 to .7 volts) due to the injectors oscillating slightly lean and rich. Downstream runs mostly steady near the higher end of the scale.

If a downstream sensor oscillates similar to the upstream, the cat is worn out and the lean/rich oscillations are passing through without catalytic action, and there will (eventually) be a code for it. Comparing bank 1 and 2 is a good idea, they should look similar.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, other 3 had some movement but not the one that was like a steeler fan with that yellow towel...lol

·
Registered
3 Posts

Is this true ?

Go to jeep and get them exact fit is the best way to go

1 - 15 of 15 Posts