·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Specs:
- 2007 JKU Wrangler, 39” tires, 5:13 gears, automatic
- Problem: 4WL is not low enough
- Possible Solution: NV241OR???
I would like a lower gear experience in 4WL and am wondering if a Rub transfer case is the solution, or should I get an Atlas-2 T-case with gearing that works for my set up. Additionally, in 2WH there is a bit of overdrive “hunting” that occurs in hilly areas, though I don’t mind turning off OD and driving slower.
For those of you familiar with the area, I typically wheel at Rausch Creek and Big Dogs – blacks.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
979 Posts
A RubiCrawler (Google it) would be a definite improvement over what you currently have. A Rubicon case would also be a worthwhile investment. Contact MoTech. They pull Rubicon cases out of Jeeps all the time in order to swap in a regular case for their LS swaps. The 3.8's have crappy compression braking, but the low gears do help quite a bit. For the OD issue; Do you have an aftermarket tuner that allows you to change the shift points in the transmission to accommodate the tires and gears?

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
If I had an automatic, I would definitely give a RubiCrawler a good look. I love my 4spd Atlas and the Rubi Crawler would be very nice, too. If you can swing it, the Rubicon 4:1 case with a RubiCrawler would be very, very close to the same ratios I'm running. I have 2.72 and 4.3 to make 11.7 when combined. If you got the Rubi case with the RubiCrawler you'd have 2.72 and 4 to make 10.88. Many will tell you that you don't need the LowLow of 11.7 or 10.88, but I've used it more than I thought I would.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I need to learn more about the Rubi Crawler, so will check into them. I like the thought of both – Rubi Crawler and an NV241OR, but that combined price might be getting close to an Atlas-4. I’ll check with MoTech to see what they sell for.

Regarding shift points - I have a chip and like how it shifts now, with the exception of overdrive. I take another look at fixing the issue that way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts