JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not a huge off roader. Lots of dirt roads. I live in MI so snow is a factor. Occasionally go OR and I hunt.

So, given that, if I want my new wheels and tires for my JK sport, where do I start?

Currently I have an Xterra with Yoko Geolander A/T-Ss. They're a decent tire for occasional OR (just wouldn't trust the sidewalks with any hard stuff) and terrific in bad weather. Plus, I have 60 k on them and they still look new. I could go the same route, but I wonder if there is something better.

In addition to a tire suggestion, I'm wondering if anyone knows what size tires/wheels are max for a stock JKU Sport. I'm probably not gonna lift it since it's not gonna see a ton of OR time.

Thanks,

TA

·
Registered
969 Posts
Do a search on here, you'll find hundreds of discussions on your questions
Short answer Goodyear Duratracs and about a 33" tire.

·
Registered
596 Posts
You can go as large as 33" w/o a lift kit. Up to 35" tires, no lift, with trimming of the fenders. The minimum wheel size you want is 15" (may require some grinding of the brake calipers, though). The Rubicon has 17" wheels & 32" tires, the Sahara has 18" wheels. Max wheel size really depends on the brand/size tire you buy. The most popular (IMHO) wheels sizes are 15" & 17" wheels. Larger wheels give you better on-road handling, but smaller wheels give you a more cushy ride off-road and more sidewall grippage.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Acey, great info, thanks. Looks like I'm in the hunt for 17" wheels and 33" tires.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Not a huge off roader. Lots of dirt roads. I live in MI so snow is a factor. Occasionally go OR and I hunt.

So, given that, if I want my new wheels and tires for my JK sport, where do I start?

Currently I have an Xterra with Yoko Geolander A/T-Ss. They're a decent tire for occasional OR (just wouldn't trust the sidewalks with any hard stuff) and terrific in bad weather. Plus, I have 60 k on them and they still look new. I could go the same route, but I wonder if there is something better.

In addition to a tire suggestion, I'm wondering if anyone knows what size tires/wheels are max for a stock JKU Sport. I'm probably not gonna lift it since it's not gonna see a ton of OR time.

Thanks,

TA
This forum is full of Duratrac lovers. We live in Michigan do yourself a favor and go to any Belle tire store and ask about duratrac tires and see what they say. I just posted a question Why Duratrac I got a lot of answers, then I went to jeepers and asked how many miles they we getting and if they had any problem with them. Some of the problems are keeping them balanced. They also have a weak side wall. They are light and look good when they are new. I talked with 2 guys that got them 25000 miles ago and there tires are shot, I'm not ready to fork over the asking price for tires that wear out this fast. I have always had great luck with BFG tires and I'm sticking with them now.JMO and Belle tires.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts