JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a 2.5" lift. Nothing fancy like a Rock Krawler, but thinking a Rubicon Express, since they fit my budget. Anyway, I see so much about having to use aftermarket wheels with greater than 4.5" backspacing...this is what's confusing me. I'm not planning on buying new wheels at this point. So does this mean I can't use my factory wheels with a lift? Why does a lift change backspacing requirements? Also, will I need an exhaust spacer for my 2013 2 Door? It seems some kits require it and some don't. Any and all help is appreciated!

·
Registered
619 Posts
FWIR the 4.5 backspace is usually because the longer sway bar links will eat into the wheels. You can use 1 1/2" hub centric wheel spacers to get to about 4 3/4 backspace and thats usually enough to clear.

·
Premium Member
5,705 Posts
Are you changing tires ? The backspace is needed to move a wider tire out and what's said above.
You can run the rear links inboard or use something like Synergy's rear swaybar drop brackets.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I'm reconsidering the lift now, after reading a very informative article on *another JK Forum* regarding the functionality of many of the "budget" lift kits and their impact on overall performance. Currently I have a very stock Sport that came with the lowest number springs I believe were available from the factory and replaced them with shocks and springs from a Rubicon. That netted me about 1.5" give or take a little, since I didn't measure prior to install, but the end result was very noticeable! I might just go with some pucks to gain the extra inch and maybe some cushier shocks, since in all reality, my Jeep is a total pavement queen.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts