JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2016 JK 2 door Sport S
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning I was lurking under my new to me, stock looking '16 JK. I was surprised to find what appears to be little to no suspension travel in the rear suspension. The yellow bump stop attached to the frame above the axle is almost touching a black rubber bump stop attached to the top of the axle. The rubber pad attached to the axle says Terraflex on it. Shiny black paint on the shocks and all four springs suggests they were recently installed before I purchased it. All the control arms appear to be OEM and original.
I am now beginning to think my Jeep had some sort of lift which was removed before I purchased it.
I thought I was purchasing a stock Jeep but now I am beginning to doubt that.
What is OEM in terms of these bump stops and what should I remove to bring this to stock? Is the shock and spring OEM?
The other photo shows a black rubber hose dangling from the frame area, what is the hose for and should it be connected to anything?
White Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Hood
Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Hood Wheel Bicycle tire

·
Registered
2016 JK 2 door Sport S
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I might have answered the second question myself, it looks like it goes to the naked vent on top of the axle. I do plan to change the gear lube.

·
Mall Crawler Extraordinaire
103 Posts
It appears you have factory springs based on the barcode tag attached to it. The shocks I'd assume are "oem spec"... the part of your pictures I'd be concerned about is the upper shock bolts. They appear crossthreaded and not fully tightened. I'd say your jeep was lifted at some point and returned to stock. If the shocks are factory length AND the tires are under 32" you should be safe to remove the teraflex bump stops and gain some travel back. The yellow foam part is oem. All of this is based off the pics and there are so many different dynamics at play when it comes to when to add bump stop ( fender type, tire size, wheel back spacing, shock length etc.) that the advice given may be wrong for your particular setup. Congrats on the new to you jeep.

·
Registered
2016 JK 2 door Sport S
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks 3Vol for pointing out the shock bolts, previous owner slapped the suspension back together and now I have the fun of figuring out what's wrong. I should just get my money back.

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
Just remove the teraflex lower bump pads and verifiy the shocks are factory length. Any photos of the front? You might want to loosen up all the control arm and track bar bolts, bounce the suspnesion a couple times and re-tourqe the bolts to have them properly seated.

The way it sits now the yellow foam bump will compress about 2" giving you 2" up and 4"+ down travel, a factory suspension will have a little over 4" of up travel.

·
Registered
2016 JK 2 door Sport S
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just removed the Terraflex bump pads and tightened both upper shock mounts. Thankfully they were not cross threaded, someone forgot to tighten them.
The front springs are stock and with the exception of the sway bar end link bolts, none of the suspension control arm bolts and nuts had witness marks.
The tires and wheels are stock 32" in height.
It would appear the lift the jeep had was the spring and shock variety and not much else was altered.
I know nothing about lifts, can a basic lift be accomplished with only springs and shocks?
This thread is a warning to those shopping for a Wrangler, look underneath first and walk away if things don't look right. I think mine will be ok but the non-disclosure of previous mods has me a bit ticked. It's on me though, buyer beware.

·
Super Moderator
1,799 Posts
@upflying welcome to JKO. Glad to have you here and glad to see @3VOL is still kicking.
The lift is accomplished with the coils. Everything else follows. The most basic lift can be accomplished by simply throwing a spacer on top of the coils to increase lift. For small increments, this is actually a great way to go.
In case you want a little light reading on how JK suspension components work, check out this great thread: My thoughts on lifts.

·
Registered
2016 JK 2 door Sport S
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dirtman wanted front suspension photos. I think things look OK here but it looks like the bolt on the track arm (terminology might be wrong) was removed at some point..but not recently. I am looking forward to a smoother ride, those yellow bump stops on the rear were wearing a shiny surface on the top of the Terraflex bumps. I dismissed the rough ride as something characteristic of a Wrangler. Grr, I feel like such a dummy... I have no intention of lifting it, I'm old and getting in a lifted vehicle is difficult.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Tread Bumper
Tire Automotive tire Hood Tread Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Bumper
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Tread Bumper

·
Registered
389 Posts
Looks like you have an adjustable track bar, which is not stock. Also looks like the track bar is in its shortest setting. Not a big deal as long as it is short enough to ensure the axle is centered on the frame.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts