JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I did the the Mod for the crazy Hood Lift at 65-70 mph...scary. It doesn't move at all at 75, just got done testing for about 25 miles between 65-75mph higway. What a difference now, coming back from Camp Jeep last year my Son was actually worried the hood was going to leave the Jeep. Soild now.
Easy cheap Mod, > 36" long, 1/2" (osd) black rubber hose bought at A&A Auto, black silicone & taped it over night. Piece of cake. Also removed the the spring beside the latch on hood. The air doesn't push that flimsy thin piece of rubber molding down now.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Hey nam! Is this an 07 thing? I've never experienced it on my 08, yet.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey nam! Is this an 07 thing? I've never experienced it on my 08, yet.
Ya no,..it might be, they might of replaced that very thin flimsy rubber molding with a heavier piece that won't collapse and let the 70 mph wind come under your hood. Just check it out & you'll no. Let me no if they changed it. I no this 1/2" hose blocks all frontal air & that's the ticket.

·
Registered
51 Posts
First time the hood jumped on me I thought I was seeing things. I'll be doing this today!!! Spooky......

·
Registered
449 Posts
Does it still close all the way like before or is it sticking up any?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Loose Hood

I have a 08 and my hood jumps up/down when on the highway as semis pass going the other way. I am going to try your suggest Monday when the hardware store opens.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I thought I was seeing things, but yeah, my 08's hood jumps aropund quite a bit. Thanks for the great idea on the easy fix!

·
Registered
51 Posts
The fix went together well. The only thing I did different was roughing up the rubber with sand paper for a better stick. Rubbed off the goodyear writing so it blends better.:bounce:

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
there are several remedies. the rubber tube. removing the spring. replacing the rubber latch with a solid latch. adding a piece of square tubing under the upper core suppport as another lock...

some work better on different rigs.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another long windy drive yesterday taking my Granddaughter home,..very pleased with this, no up & down hood movement at all. Really don't have to watch it anymore.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm dropping the hammer on the fix this morning. Not worried....So far this is the best and cheepest fix. The new latches look cool but just too much work and money that I can spend else were. I think the square tubing didn't work out well in the end on that thread. This is the best way to go. Plus...remove the spring as well when you do this....

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think it might have been something early in 07's production.

Our black one that we got in September 06 was bad, real bad. The red one we got in September 07, I haven't noticed the hood lift issue on really.
Our black one that we got in September 06 was bad, real bad. The red one we got in September 07, I haven't noticed the hood lift issue on really.[/QUOTE]

The quick way to find out is look at the rubber molding on both & see if the newer one has a much stonger texture of rubber,.... or they went to a complete round piece instead of a flimsy thin 1/2 moon piece that the air will lay right down..

·
Registered
51 Posts
85 and not a twitch....Thank you for the info posted on this thead!!!! Wes:smokin:

·
14ers
479 Posts
5k on the 2008 and I've been watching the hood thing with no lifting... ;)

·
Registered
420 Posts
Our black one that we got in September 06 was bad, real bad. The red one we got in September 07, I haven't noticed the hood lift issue on really.
The quick way to find out is look at the rubber molding on both & see if the newer one has a much stonger texture of rubber,.... or they went to a complete round piece instead of a flimsy thin 1/2 moon piece that the air will lay right down..[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I heard a rumor that they upgraded the rubber piece on the 08s. I would be curious if that's true.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I don't think its so much the year of the vehicle. I have an '07 and it only does it occasionally. Its not much and it is easy to mistake for road vibrations most of the time.

I have noticed that it only occurs when the wind comes from the side or from an angle.

Part of it is the rubber piece that comes stock, but I firmly believe that it is also inherent in the design of the hood period. I've talked to people with CJs, TJs and YJs, all have experienced this at one time or another.

Remember that the hood wraps down the side rather than dropping down between the fenders as on most vehicles, so air can easily get underneath it and lift it up.

I made a suggestion on another forum, that I personally haven't had the opportunity to try yet, though someone else tried it and said it worked great.

The solution? Run some weather striping along the sides to help keep the air from coming in under the sides of the hood. Once I get the bills caught up and can start doing more work on my Yeep, I'll do this myself.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts