JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With summer on its way I have really been itching to get the doors and top off this new Jeep. My daughter is a well behaved 5 year old that only sits in a booster seat in the Jeep, we have one of the 'full sized' typical car seats in my wifes Patriot. She obviously much prefers the booster. She is real excited to go on some Jeep adventures as she calls them and I want her to experience it. My concern is her in the Jeep with no doors. She is not one who would ever unbuckle her seatbelt or anything like that. I worry more about a wreck or a side impact or something like that. So i really feel some safari/tube doors would ease my mind just a bit. would you guys also suggest swapping the full car seat for the booster with doors off? I can attach the full booster to the Jeep itself obviously the booster I cannot.
I plan on running doorless pretty often.
Ive been researching tube/safari doors and think i have settled on the Highrock 4x4 ones, only because you can convert them to full half doors as well.
http://www.quadratec.com/showcases/bestop_jeep_tops/highrock_4x4/element_Doors/4door_jk.php

Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Well even my 24 yr old nephew didn't like riding in the back with no doors. I'm sure gonna get some tube doors for my girl who is gonna be five.

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
You'd probably be better off with a tall back booster that straps to the 3 car-seat attach points. Put it in the center and she could use the shoulder belt as normal. I have 3 boys and a set of trail doors. The doors aren't a safety device but a better piece of mind for them and me. My 4 yo sits in the middle in a full booster but still uses the 5 point harness for now.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Middle section is a good idea. Ill probably get the full seat and put in there.

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
I'll post a pic of my setup if you'd like. The 3 point attach system is great because the seat stays even when not in use.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I used to leave the back doors on with the kids. Now I have tube doors for the back and that's how we do it in the summer. I do not get on the highway with my kids and just tube doors though. Just for safety sake. I'd rather ere on the side of caution on the highway. Too many crazy people out there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
This is the only picture I could find of us wheeling with the front doors off - it was taken a few years ago (notice the JKF sticker that has since been removed). If we wheel with the front doors and top off, my daughter still feels like she's part of the outdoors. I just don't like driving with her door off due to branches, rocks, etc bouncing off my tires and possibly hitting her. In the city, I think it's just a safety thing in case of an accident, or if she drops something and it falls out of the Jeep. She still enjoys the Jeep with the windows down and top off, but I feel like she's safer with the doors on.

She was 3 when the picture was taken and was in a full carseat. She turns 5 this May. She now only uses a booster seat.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Wow, even to think about putting young kids in a Jeep with no doors makes me crazy.
Well behaved or not, 5-year olds are impulsive and it only takes a second to open the belt and fall out.
Serious, re-think it. You'd never forgive yourself if something happened.

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Wow, even to think about putting young kids in a Jeep with no doors makes me crazy.
Well behaved or not, 5-year olds are impulsive and it only takes a second to open the belt and fall out.
Serious, re-think it. You'd never forgive yourself if something happened.
That's why the OP is here for ideas and advice. The doors are not made to keep people in the vehicle. The WARNING is on the inside of the top. Plus the shitty ass roll cage will buckle in an accident too. A child that can or will unbuckle while driving is unsafe in any vehicle. It's tge same risk as kids on motorcycles or sports or hunting. It's to the parents discretion to handle it as they choose.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
sticker on the hardtop....

just sayin...

I have 3 kids, 8, 12 and 15 and occasionally go doors off with the 3 of them back there with the little guy in the middle if we are just riding around near home and on slower roads....rules are no un-buckling at all, ever and keep arms/legs inside.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Yep what they said. Kids are a risk , driving is a risk. Be smart teach your children well. But most of all watch them like a hawk cause they will mess up.

One day at the breakfest diner over coffee I asked the policeman next to me.

"If my child has to be in a car seat or seatbelt until 18 (NH has no seatbelt law) how old do they have to be to ride on a motorcycle?"

Don't you know I stumped him, 30+ years and he never thought about that!

The law for bikes is of course your passenger sits in the back and has to reach the footpegs and be able to hold on.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i know my daughter pretty well. She is highly reluctant to even pick up a folded pocket knife even when asked to do so. The only time she ever touches the buckle is when she thinks she is at our destination. I think highway is out of the question for sure and some trails even, but I think safari/tube doors around town a little bit would be fine. Ill see about the attachment of the full seat in the Jeep and see how I feel about it all then. I think Safari/half/tube doors, center mounted full car seat and some extreme caution used in my small town roads will be okay.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's why the OP is here for ideas and advice. The doors are not made to keep people in the vehicle. The WARNING is on the inside of the top. Plus the shitty ass roll cage will buckle in an accident too. A child that can or will unbuckle while driving is unsafe in any vehicle. It's tge same risk as kids on motorcycles or sports or hunting. It's to the parents discretion to handle it as they choose.
:beer:
Heck the owners manual said the doors are just there for element protection! :D

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
^^^ Agreed ^^^

If you want to keep then safe, replace the factory cage with a fully-welded cage (yes I have a resource/referral for the same), with a crossbar behind the seat, and five-point safety harnesses, and you'll be able to drive upside down without them falling out, and they'll be MUCH safer than factory seatbelts, the factory cage, and factory doors (element protection).

PM me for more information on a "family-safe" cage, that doesn't compromise leg room.

RC

·
Registered
199 Posts
My take on it is this: It's not about protection from an accident to me. It's about how easy it would be to fall out with the doors missing. Even the best behaved kids in the world are still KIDS. And as such, from time to time they make mistakes and hasty decisions.

My 4 year old is the best boy in the world. But what if he drops a french fry and decides in a quick moment of 4-year old wisdom to unbuckle and grab it? With no door there, he could fall out before I even realized he was unbuckled.

It's just not a risk I'm willing to take. Sure, accidents can and do happen in ANY vehicle.. but with the doors off of a Jeep you're just making it that much easier.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I've only done doors off with the kids in the middle, one at a time. Now that my boy is out of the 3point and in a booster, I probably won't do that. My daughter is 9 and I will with her.

like others.. More of a falling out thing than anything else.

boy in the middle: (you can see his white hair in there if you look hard)

Both Kids, rears on:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts