JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have the Jeep backbone (trunk). Last year I installed LED strips inside the trunk for obvious reasons. This year when trying to re-connect the lights I crossed the wires and blew my dome lights out. Is there a fuse that needs replacing? Or something else to try? I pulled the battery cable, maybe not long enough. Please forgive my ignorance on the subject. They used to call me sparky...

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,099 Posts
Try M20 fuse, if it keeps blowing you have a short somewhere in the system

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Comfortably Numb
12,289 Posts
One of the on/offs for the dome light it to simply push in on the dome itself. this can and has been done in the past. You may have fixed the problem but accidentally pushed in the dome.Other than that, Gunny's right.

·
Super Moderator
6,179 Posts
i switched to some non-CAN circuit savvy LEDs from SUPERBRIGHTLED last year or so ...in Amber like a mall crawlin tool - but when I use them , eventually the rear cargo area dome one either gets too hot and shorts or enough trail rocking causes them to break a solder that some fine, tiny Chinese fingers worked hard to make ; the little circuit board fries. If I use the LED festoon or dome LED that is heatsinked and CAN ready, only available in bright white, of course , i never have issues . Thus I ordered a bunch of the ambers and re-enforce the end caps that are also the contact points , with extra soldering and they last longer it seems. I guess I mention all of this because I got tired of replacing te amber LED dome lights so I made them stronger . I never have blown a fuse from the LED usage since they are such a low draw ? Maybe look into these

·
Super Moderator
6,179 Posts
Never freaking m9ind that last post; I did not see that it was the Jeep Backbone and an LED strip. My bad; sorry. My post is not applicable at all to your scenario. :|

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's what the fuse is there for. Check it first.

Finally got around to changing that fuse and nothing happened. Old fuse looked good. What would you check next? Do you think I could have blown a relay?

·
22,099 Posts
Have you looked at the bulb itself?

I don't think that there is a relay powering the dome light. Do the dash lights work?

·
The Wheelin Man's Friend
8,651 Posts
This is somewhat unrelated, but will you pull the bulb out of a tail light and see if you're getting a very dim blink every 45 seconds or so?

I have wondered if my lack of a dome light has somethign to do with the tail light, but have no way to test it because I threw the sound bar away many moons ago. lol

My LEDs flash really bright and a stock tail will just BARELY glow even when the Jeep is off.

Thanks either way if you don't mind doing it while the light is out.

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have you looked at the bulb itself?

I don't think that there is a relay powering the dome light. Do the dash lights work?
Just the lights for the speedo. None of the heat control lights are on. They all worked before I crossed those wires so I thought it would have been the fuse for sure.

·
22,099 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
22,099 Posts
That might be your last option. It sucks that this shit runs through the dash.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts