JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got my first oil change and tire rotation at 5,000 miles so I swung by the dealer yesterday to make an appointment. He said I can fit you in right now sir. I looked up at the board and noticed $34.95 for an oil change and $19.99 for a tire rotation, both a little high in my opinion. I asked if they could knock a little coin off and he said what did I think was a fair price for both. I said I could live with $25 for an oil change and $10 for the rotation. Service guy said you got it. And we appreciate you choosing us for your Jeep purchase and we will be glad to honor that price on all future oil changes and rotations. I hear tons of complaints about bad service so I thought I would mention that I was treated great yesterday. I just feel better getting my oil changed at the dealer then letting some 20 year old kid that doesn't give a crap working at one of the oil change places. I have to say so far I love my 2010 Jeep Wrangler. Love it more each time I hop behind the wheel.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I bought an 09 and I got free oil changes for a year. Should it be 5k miles because they gave me every 3k miles. I went in because of a ETC sys problem and it was just about to be 3k so they changed my oil while it was there.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought an 09 and I got free oil changes for a year. Should it be 5k miles because they gave me every 3k miles. I went in because of a ETC sys problem and it was just about to be 3k so they changed my oil while it was there.
My oil change reminder light had yet to come on and the owners manual said 6,000 miles. Changing it at 3K is a little soon in my opinion based on what the owners manual states.

·
Registered
180 Posts
My change oil light came on a little after I changed the oil and it didnt go away after they did it. Some people say 3k, 5k, and 6k but does it really hurt it to change the oil sooner. If anything i would think it helps.

·
Registered
395 Posts
My change oil light came on a little after I changed the oil and it didnt go away after they did it.
There is a procedure you have to do to shut the indicator off. It's in the manual, but I think it's key on (but engine off), and press the gas pedal to the floor three times within 5 seconds.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I've been getting these coupons from my dealer for oil + filter and tire rotation for $17.95. :bounce:

I don't know how they make any money off it but I sure ain't complainin'... Perfect way to help people in this economy...and get them into the dealership at the same time... They have serviced my Jeep three times at this rate. :beer:

·
Registered
180 Posts
I guess the dealership i bought it from was desperate for sales because they gave me a 1 year free oil change option.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Wow, those are decent prices for oil changes.

You do realize you're getting the last guy's oil, right? :D

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I've been getting these coupons from my dealer for oil + filter and tire rotation for $17.95. :bounce:

I don't know how they make any money off it but I sure ain't complainin'... Perfect way to help people in this economy...and get them into the dealership at the same time... They have serviced my Jeep three times at this rate. :beer:
i would assume it is because as long as they get some ppl coming in there, they can find shit wrong on some of them and then rape you on those repairs. just my guess

·
Registered
805 Posts
Wow, those are decent prices for oil changes.

You do realize you're getting the last guy's oil, right? :D
haha, I know...I had my doubts too!

I checked and they are using Texaco; checked the dipstick: the oil was clean. Also checked that the tires had been rotated and yes: the dusty fronts were in back and the dirt-covered spare was now on the ground, etc. :D

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Dealers and auto repair places can do the oil changes cheaper like that because they buy heir oil by the 55 gllon drum as opposed to by the quart, and its also a bottom shelf dino oil as opposed to top shelf synthetic. Its a similar story about the filters, you buy m by the case or the pallet and it will be cheaper than buying the individually. As far as the quality of the uy that does the job, hopefully you dont think its the ASE master mechanic working on the car, its that same 18-19 y/o kid that works at jiffy lube. An oil change isnt rocket science so any kid will do.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Is everyone on this forum a renaissance man? You guys always have something negative to say about everything even cup holders. Just cuz you guys can build your own jeep doesn't mean everyone wants to, or even has the time, to do their own work. Time is money. If you have money, don't do it yourself. If you dont, then by all means.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Got my first oil change and tire rotation at 5,000 miles so I swung by the dealer yesterday to make an appointment. He said I can fit you in right now sir. I looked up at the board and noticed $34.95 for an oil change and $19.99 for a tire rotation, both a little high in my opinion. I asked if they could knock a little coin off and he said what did I think was a fair price for both. I said I could live with $25 for an oil change and $10 for the rotation. Service guy said you got it. And we appreciate you choosing us for your Jeep purchase and we will be glad to honor that price on all future oil changes and rotations. I hear tons of complaints about bad service so I thought I would mention that I was treated great yesterday. I just feel better getting my oil changed at the dealer then letting some 20 year old kid that doesn't give a crap working at one of the oil change places. I have to say so far I love my 2010 Jeep Wrangler. Love it more each time I hop behind the wheel.
Would you mind saying what dealer? That might help out other WNYers like us. 2* here this morning right over the hill from you in North Boston.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Is everyone on this forum a renaissance man? You guys always have something negative to say about everything even cup holders. Just cuz you guys can build your own jeep doesn't mean everyone wants to, or even has the time, to do their own work. Time is money. If you have money, don't do it yourself. If you dont, then by all means.
Most of us are not astronauts, fighter pilots, or neurosurgeons. I think it’s about quality vs. quantity. Synthetic or premium vs. dealership low grade, will get you by, oil. You are right, time is money. That is why some of us don't mind spending a little time and extra money to do it right and prolong engine life. I like my Jeep and until DC can make a Jeep that you can add larger tires to without bending or breaking the axle, I'm keeping mine.

BTW, cup holders suck!

·
Registered
289 Posts
I disagree. My time IS valuable and that's why I do it myself. I don't have time to take it to the dealer and wait. I refuse to take it to a "quick lube" type of place. I do it myself at my convenience. It takes no more than 15-20 minutes.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
this guy again:shaking: did you know big tires can bend your axles:thefinger:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts