JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it looks like the wife may relent soon and actually let me get some BFG MTs (32s) for my Unlimited X. As someone new to wheeling (always owned 4X4s just so I could get to work) what would you guys suggest as the next mod? I'm leaning toward a rear locker (OX maybe?) or manual swaybar disconnects. Any input would be appreciated, and if these are dumb ideas, please feel free to set me straight. :)

A

·
0 Posts
You might want to get a little more armor before a locker and then hit some local trails up to see how you like it. Maybe pick up someone’s take off Rubicon rocks rails to start with.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You might want to get a little more armor before a locker and then hit some local trails up to see how you like it. Maybe pick up someone’s take off Rubicon rocks rails to start with.
I'm pretty sure I'll like it. The Army used to test tanks on the road I live on (kidding). That and I used to race motocross and enduro before my back went to hell.

As to the armor, I am looking for some Rubi rock rails but everyone who is taking them off to upgrade seems to be on the west coast and the cost to get them here is prohibitive. A friend of mine with a new Rubi is talking about upgrading his lockers to OXs and he says that if he does he will give me the e-lockers. Anybody know if these will work with my axles?

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Same with the tires, you can get someones Rubicon wheels AND tires for probably less then the new tires alone.
Already have the takeoff wheels (got all five for $150). Looks like I can get the new BFGs delivered for $450. Just like takeoff rock rails though, it seems like all the good deals are on the west coast and getting them here is the hard part.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
A friend of mine with a new Rubi is talking about upgrading his lockers to OXs and he says that if he does he will give me the e-lockers. Anybody know if these will work with my axles?
Not on the front for sure, and I'm pretty certain the different spline count on the rear may cause some issues.

I'd do the quick disconnects next, it's cheap and you need the flex.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
how about an Aussie locker for the front? $230 (plus shipping) and its pretty easy to install

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Phil is on with the flex that the quick disco's will give. Keeping the wheels on the ground always helps with traction. Seeing as you have some MT's coming and you're looking at something less spendy...

Maybe see if you can find a 2" budget boost in one of the Classified forums? I know I have seen some recently. This will give you some needed lift for short money until you can get a real lift. And you can always re-sell it when you're done with it. ;)
With the rocks that are typical on New England trails more lift is always helpful. :)

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not on the front for sure, and I'm pretty certain the different spline count on the rear may cause some issues.

I'd do the quick disconnects next, it's cheap and you need the flex.
I expected that the e-locker would not transfer from the D44 to the D30 but I was hoping the rear one might work. Mine has the towing package with 4.10 gears if that matters. Don't know if the spline count goes up with the tow package or not. Anybody?

As far as the disco's go, this seems to me like a lot of bang for the buck. I like that idea since I am most definitely on a tight budget (and a short leash :D). Any recommendations on a manufacturer?

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
how about an Aussie locker for the front? $230 (plus shipping) and its pretty easy to install
Is an Aussie selectable or automatic? This thing is our DD, so whatever I get needs to be unnoticeable in street driving.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Phil is on with the flex that the quick disco's will give. Keeping the wheels on the ground always helps with traction. Seeing as you have some MT's coming and you're looking at something less spendy...

Maybe see if you can find a 2" budget boost in one of the Classified forums? I know I have seen some recently. This will give you some needed lift for short money until you can get a real lift. And you can always re-sell it when you're done with it. ;)
With the rocks that are typical on New England trails more lift is always helpful. :)
I am looking for anything (lockers, armor, tires, lift etc.) that is a screaming deal. I got my wheels cheap when someone else upgraded. On my budget this is the only way I can afford a build up. I regularly look at ebay, craigslist, uncle henry's and the for sale sections of the forums. With any luck (and a little patience) I hope to build a Rubi but for a lot less money. :D

Quick question about New England trails............where are they? :D I've asked around up here and the response was that (in NH anyway) you could only wheel on private land. :bawling:

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Hey Skibum,

I would have to say, without a doubt, if I wanted to do a mod with the most bang for the bucks, I would go with the Teraflex 2-1/2" Budget Boost with shock extensions.

Armor is important, but so is picking that big fat belly up, expecially on the 4-door. I ran that lift on my Rubi with stock wheels and tires for several months before I went bigger.

It's only a couple hundred bucks and something, but it makes a huge difference in the clearance department.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Skibum,

I would have to say, without a doubt, if I wanted to do a mod with the most bang for the bucks, I would go with the Teraflex 2-1/2" Budget Boost with shock extensions.

Armor is important, but so is picking that big fat belly up, expecially on the 4-door. I ran that lift on my Rubi with stock wheels and tires for several months before I went bigger.

It's only a couple hundred bucks and something, but it makes a huge difference in the clearance department.
Hey Rotor,

Appreciate the input, but I'm not sure that my vertically challenged wife is going to like the idea of a lift very much. She's already whining about the Jeep getting higher offf the ground when I pick up the new tires. :D That said, you never know..... Does the Teraflex BB do anything about the track bars? I've read that a number of the BB kits come with track bar relocation brackets that are causing problems with axle mounts breaking.

BTW, how did you know I had a big fat belly?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Is an Aussie selectable or automatic? This thing is our DD, so whatever I get needs to be unnoticeable in street driving.
auto locker and only engages when in 4wd. Several people in my club run it and they say there is no problem and the only way you even know there is a locker in the front while street driving is you might hear a slight click noise at full turn

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
A buddy of mine just installed an Aussie in his TJ D30, said it was a real easy install and it works great. He can barely tell it's there on the road, but it does the job great on the trail.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
So it looks like the wife may relent soon and actually let me get some BFG MTs (32s) for my Unlimited X. As someone new to wheeling (always owned 4X4s just so I could get to work) what would you guys suggest as the next mod? I'm leaning toward a rear locker (OX maybe?) or manual swaybar disconnects. Any input would be appreciated, and if these are dumb ideas, please feel free to set me straight. :)
SKIBUM you should of asked.... Well I love the tera flex now that I ironed out all the issues. The biggest issue you will encounter is the new rear links and the rubbing on stock rims. The backspacing is 6.25" and you will have rub no doubt. Only solution is to add spacers, keep the stock links where they are or get new rims with less backspacing. By the way, yes I'm that guy that still has the lugnuts....

Anyway's the key is to get out on a trail or two. I went with a friend twice now in the snow and realize with even the taller tires & tera boost you still hit bottom on occasional rocks. I'm thinking my best two investments left are rubi rails (I'll race you to them) and an engine/oil pan skid plate.

I'd love to upgrade to the 5.13 gears to accomodate the heavier tires but I can't see it right now until I go out allot more.

Lockers would be sweet and I know that Mopar will do it for you so you should call Gil's and inquire about it to see what the difference is. I bet they'd give you some advice on the matter. When I bought my jeep the dealership tried to convince me to add the rubi lockers. So my guess is it can be done.

If you get the teraflex let me know as I'll help you install the kit now that I've gone through mine so many times. I think You wanted one of my bumpers anywho. :jeep2:

Gil's by the way might have take off's as I checked it out before. I'll keep my eye out and let you know if I see any around.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I am looking for anything (lockers, armor, tires, lift etc.) that is a screaming deal. I got my wheels cheap when someone else upgraded. On my budget this is the only way I can afford a build up. I regularly look at ebay, craigslist, uncle henry's and the for sale sections of the forums. With any luck (and a little patience) I hope to build a Rubi but for a lot less money. :D

Quick question about New England trails............where are they? :D I've asked around up here and the response was that (in NH anyway) you could only wheel on private land. :bawling:
There are a few Trails around... I have been using some trails down towards pembroke.. snowmobile trails and 4wheelers trails... You can get lost very easy but the gps works great 4 that... nothing is posted and others have been using them. I here there is a lot of trails in Hillsboro area. maybe we can hook up this spring or something..

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There are a few Trails around... I have been using some trails down towards pembroke.. snowmobile trails and 4wheelers trails... You can get lost very easy but the gps works great 4 that... nothing is posted and others have been using them. I here there is a lot of trails in Hillsboro area. maybe we can hook up this spring or something..
Sounds good. Maybe I'll have the new tires by then and I won't be embarrassed to be seen in public. :D

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
SKIBUM you should of asked.... Well I love the tera flex now that I ironed out all the issues. The biggest issue you will encounter is the new rear links and the rubbing on stock rims. The backspacing is 6.25" and you will have rub no doubt. Only solution is to add spacers, keep the stock links where they are or get new rims with less backspacing. By the way, yes I'm that guy that still has the lugnuts....

Anyway's the key is to get out on a trail or two. I went with a friend twice now in the snow and realize with even the taller tires & tera boost you still hit bottom on occasional rocks. I'm thinking my best two investments left are rubi rails (I'll race you to them) and an engine/oil pan skid plate.

I'd love to upgrade to the 5.13 gears to accomodate the heavier tires but I can't see it right now until I go out allot more.

Lockers would be sweet and I know that Mopar will do it for you so you should call Gil's and inquire about it to see what the difference is. I bet they'd give you some advice on the matter. When I bought my jeep the dealership tried to convince me to add the rubi lockers. So my guess is it can be done.

If you get the teraflex let me know as I'll help you install the kit now that I've gone through mine so many times. I think You wanted one of my bumpers anywho. :jeep2:

Gil's by the way might have take off's as I checked it out before. I'll keep my eye out and let you know if I see any around.
Hi Greg,

1. Thanks for the info on the lift. I'd like to talk to you about it in depth. Maybe when I pick up the lug nuts. :D

2. Gil's tells me the stock Rubi lockers won't work with my axles. :bawling:

3. While I'm recovering from my back surgery, I have nothing but time on my hands.............I will beat you to any Rubi rails that pop up within driving distance. :thefinger: I will keep my eyes open for two sets though. :)

4. Yes, I do want that bumper if you end up using the Orfab...........Wayland might be pissed though.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts