JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boys and girls,

Appreciate the input as I am trying to make a decision on my next JK. I am debating between a new off the lot or a used 2012 JK. Hear me out and appreciate input.

I was able to find a new 4 door JK 2016 base 4x4 for about $25K plus tax etc, so lets say about $28K. Yes, it would be great to get a Virgin zero mileage Jeep, however it will it directly my planned budget for the build. (plan is one tons long arms, etc, and I am factoring in under $10K doing the work myself and using some parts I already have, including wheels and tires, etc)

I came across a pretty clean salvage 2012 60K miles auto JK 4 door Sahara 4x4 loaded with options for about $15,500K. It had a light front impact, no damage to the frame, but grille, bumper, front fenders are toasted. Airbags were deployed, what is not a biggie (I normally disable them anyway). It will give a good excuse to replace the fenders, bumper and can throw in an aftermarket grille or replace with a stock one.

As the Jeep will be wheeled and beat on anyways I am leaning towards salvage...decisions decisions?

Appreciate the input and suggestions,

Thanks!

Gui

·
Registered
619 Posts
If I had the cash for the salvage one I would probably go that route.

·
Registered
768 Posts
That's a tough call.. I would probably look for a different salvage. The one you found is "loaded with options" but if it's a trail rig who needs 'em?

Given only those 2 choices I would be more likely to get the new one cause I could get a very low interest rate financing new and keep my cash in hand to build it. I don't feel the $10k savings on the salvage jeep is worth the hassle of fixing it and dealing with a salvage title.

For me to go salvage route I would want to be into it closer to $10k and not $15k. What does a non salvage 2012 similarly optioned go for?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you don't buy the salvage JKU send me the info. :beer: My answer is in the response above. lol
Thanks! hehe I am definitely debating but will keep you posted.

I am seeing non salvage 2012 JKU's with similar mileage for about $25K (kinda crazy as I found a new 16 at the dealer for $25K plus tax :)) A sahara JKU 12 and up is going in the $27K range.

Thanks for the input guys

·
The Wheelin Man's Friend
8,651 Posts
Thanks! hehe I am definitely debating but will keep you posted.

I am seeing non salvage 2012 JKU's with similar mileage for about $25K (kinda crazy as I found a new 16 at the dealer for $25K plus tax :)) A sahara JKU 12 and up is going in the $27K range.

Thanks for the input guys
What part of the country are you in?

After reading what you said again, I'd probably have to buy a new JKU for $25K if it was real and not a bait and switch. That seems like a very aggressive price compared to what I've been seeing. My wife wants a JKU and I wouldn't mind having a street friendly Jeep again so we've been poking around.

·
Registered
101 Posts
If it's going to be a dedicated trail rig, it doesn't matter.

If you plan on driving it much on the road (may have to fix stuff you could otherwise leave alone or remove outright) or ever selling it, you may want to avoid the salvage complications.

80% of the value of the vehicle (in damage) is usually required to merit salvage by underwriters. Just sayin.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
RCO, no problem and hope you can get the new JK, that is the lowest national price I found and it is in my backyard :)

Dustin, good points, it woudl be a bit of both, minor daily driving and trail rig. Right now my dilemma is I have a one ton TJ that is "street legalish" kinda, and a one ton lifted truck and a trailer. The goal would be to have an all in one rig that coudl be used for the trail and daily driven whenever. The space on a 4 door JK is the main selling point as it will allow the family to fit perfectly.

I have just come across a JK 4 door tub for a couple grand...hmmmm could always frankestein a JK 4 door tub on my Tj......

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Knowing what I know now, I'd get a gutted, rolling chassis, toss all the electrics, and go from there...
A burn victim might be just the ticket.

·
Registered
683 Posts
That's a tough call.. I would probably look for a different salvage. The one you found is "loaded with options" but if it's a trail rig who needs 'em?

Given only those 2 choices I would be more likely to get the new one cause I could get a very low interest rate financing new and keep my cash in hand to build it. I don't feel the $10k savings on the salvage jeep is worth the hassle of fixing it and dealing with a salvage title.

For me to go salvage route I would want to be into it closer to $10k and not $15k. What does a non salvage 2012 similarly optioned go for?
agree with this 100%

·
Registered
109 Posts
My initial thought when I hear the word "salvage"

Significantly reduced resale value & Increased insurance difficulties (inc. cost)

(at least in my neck of the woods, based on my personal experience) "Big Insurance" would rather not insure salvaged vehicles of any kind, period.

May (probably will) be different in other areas of the country....

·
Registered
662 Posts
Go with the new one

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
I recently got a salvaged JKUR back on the road. 14' Rubicon 6spd with just under 7K miles with front end damage. (lockers and sway bar disco are all that sets it apart from a sport with PW & locks) Replaced everything forward of the motor, passenger fender, and windshield. I'm all in for under $30K, includes paint and frame work, a Metalcloak Game-Changer lift (Rocksport shocks), Metalcloak front bumper, and 5, 35" MT/R-K's. I could have spent less on parts, went "mopar" as much as possible. Except for the windshield, they want an extra $200 to put the jeep in the lower passenger corner and grill above the mirror!

Is it perfect? No....from all but straight on it's an 8 or 9. I've got a 1/2"-3/4" gap between the driver side fender and the grill that I'm trying not to let bother me. It's everything I wanted and then some: 3.6, manual, 4:10's, lockers, not beat to crap (other than the accident), looks almost brand new inside and out, able to build it to run around town when its nice and wheel it when I'm able to get away. All without trashing a $36K+ vehicle before goodies. Does the salvage history hurt my resale, yes. Not planning on selling it anytime soon... For my first Jeep, I feel like I came out ahead.

·
Registered
247 Posts
New vs. salvage

There's a local guy who repairs and sells cars with salvage titles. After the complete repair (looking as-new), his sell price is 66% of KBB.

Although, a friend who buys his cars from ths shop said that he recently asked, and was told that Wranglers are virtually impossible to get.

Just though I'd toss that out there, as a rule-of-thumb from these parts.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts