JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New guy. Never owned any thing other than sporty type cars. :beer:

Bought a one owner 2008 JK Unlimited from a relative with 50 k miles. All stock. Tires worn out so I bought this stuff today.

Rock Krawler 3.5 Max flex kit with an optional horizontal Blisten short shock for the front.
x4 5100 Blisten shocks
x5 Nitto Trail Grapplers 35" 12.5x17"
Poison Spider wheel spacers
Tom's front driveshaft
3" bump stops for the front and rear

Going to use the stock 17" rims for now.
Anyone know if the AEV Procal will work for this year to reprogram the speedo?
Sort of excited right now. :D

JD

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a stock crystal red rock colored JKU. I threw a pics up in the welcome section. I am thinking of videoing my install only if I can figure out how to "dumb it down" so the file is not so big.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
Welcome. Procal will work. Nice parts list. Good job. Dumb it down? Are you insinuating we are dumb.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Pulled the trigger

Shoot shovel and shut up, witness can't talk under a pile of rocks...

Ooops, guess I should have read more than just the title.

um, Welcome!:D

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
If it has an auto tranny you'll need a trans cooler and a set of 5.13 gears.

Locker of some sort won't hurt either.

And the #1 thing seen on this site....... Big tires will bend your axles :shitstorm:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If it has an auto tranny you'll need a trans cooler and a set of 5.13 gears.

Locker of some sort won't hurt either.

And the #1 thing seen on this site....... Big tires will bend your axles :shitstorm:
Yes. It's an auto. Thanks for the suggestion. Trans cooler is easy enough. Sort of glad it is an auto. I would likely do poorly off road with a clutch. Some place had a chart that had recommended axle ratios based on tire size and I lost it. BTW, do I change both front and rear gears to the same ratio? My next buy is a Eaton E locker for the rear so would likely to change in ratio then.

I was thinking about the axle tube and gusset upgrade though not sure if it would be just better to replace the axles themselves with chrom moly ones.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Yes. It's an auto. Thanks for the suggestion. Trans cooler is easy enough. Sort of glad it is an auto. I would likely do poorly off road with a clutch. Some place had a chart that had recommended axle ratios based on tire size and I lost it. BTW, do I change both front and rear gears to the same ratio? My next buy is a Eaton E locker for the rear so would likely to change in ratio then.

I was thinking about the axle tube and gusset upgrade though not sure if it would be just better to replace the axles themselves with chrom moly ones.
If the locker buy is relatively soon, then fine to wait. 5.13 will change your world on them 35's. Now granted you are new to it and haven ridden on them 35's but it is night and day.

The gusset and sleeves aren't a bad idea but I wouldn't strengthen the shafts. Going to 5.13 makes the teeth small and making the axles stronger, moves your weak point to your ring and pinion. Carry spare axles instead.

Looks like you are doing your research as you know the "buzz" words.

PS. The horizontal shock is a steering stabilizer.:D

-Dan

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Pics. Ready to install.

Still trying to find a front and rear bumpers I like. Maybe Poison Spider.

Posting my eye candy. Wish I could open my Goprohero3+ cam my wife got me for Christmas so I can video. :nono: She is leaving town this weekend. Got an old friend coming to town to help with the install. I see a grill and beers in my future. :)

J

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well the stars are in alignment and it's likely to rain this weekend during my planned install. :bawling: It seems that jeeps may have a different ride height all things being equal but does any one know what the roof to ground height is with my setup? Asking because I am thinking about installing in the garage and don't want to get stuck in it.

RK 3.5 Max travel lift with Nitto 35x12.5x17.

Thanks

J

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Done

Got it installed over the weekend. :bounce: My body aches now though. Got about 1 inch to clear my 6'10" garage opening. I do have two left over parts though. One is a bracket :eek: that I can't find in the manual. It's not the front or rear track bar bracket. It's pretty beefy so it must be important. The other part is two bushings that came in the bag with the zip ties and bolts to relocated the rear sway bar. May have to take pics and post to see if anyone knows.

BTW, love the kit. The instructions? well..... no comment.

J

1 - 20 of 23 Posts