JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Rule of thumb is, if you're buying, be prepared to show Edmunds' numbers.

If you're selling, be prepared to show KBB numbers.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I think you are looking for truecar.com to give you what the dealer invoice and holdback values are.

KBB always values higher than the rest of them and when I was trying to trade in my truck the dealerships wouldn't bother with what anything on the net said. They only wanted to trust the black book numbers or in one case a dealer had an iphone app that scanned the barcode on the door of my truck and it told him what similar trucks were selling for at auction. Only problem with that is it didn't differentiate between trim levels and my truck is fully loaded. I digress...dealers will always try to screw you.

·
Registered
6,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, the morons offered me $18k for mine! HA! It's worth more than that with NO MODS! Eh, no worries. I wasn't planning on trading it in anyway, but thought it'd be humorous to see what they'd offer. Didn't plan on being offended, though!

Anyway, now I'm debating a Ram 2500 6.7L ST. They want $42,860 for it OTD and Edmunds says invoice is $42,796 and the TMV is $43,212. The only problem is, if I get it, I have to buy a trailer to pull my JK back to NJ with.

Hmm...

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Yeah, the morons offered me $18k for mine! HA! It's worth more than that with NO MODS! Eh, no worries. I wasn't planning on trading it in anyway, but thought it'd be humorous to see what they'd offer. Didn't plan on being offended, though!

Anyway, now I'm debating a Ram 2500 6.7L ST. They want $42,860 for it OTD and Edmunds says invoice is $42,796 and the TMV is $43,212. The only problem is, if I get it, I have to buy a trailer to pull my JK back to NJ with.

Hmm...
Do it

Sent from the Island of Misfit Toys

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Do it. Rent a dolly from UHaul for $60.

Part of me wishes I bought a new Cummins and saved for a used 4dr, but no going back now.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
How far away is the dealership? You have a few options depending on the distance. I found my truck at a dealer in alabama and they met me half way and we did all the paperwork at a mcdonalds. If it is too far you can buy a one way plane ticket and drive it back, or check into shipping the truck it might be cheaper than you think. You can also have a local dealership try to get the truck you want by doing a dealer trade for it. Some are more willing than others to do this.

·
Registered
6,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do what? Take $18k for it? Heck no!

haha...

Anyway, I think with USAA pricing, I might be able to get them down to around $40k even. Man, I'd love to do it. Dragging the JK home on a trailer would be much better than rollin' 40's all the way (another 1,000 miles) back home. It's not that bad, but the Cummins is just sweet. Funny thing is, I think I'm getting better prices on this than I was gonna get outta the Ford dealer on that EcoBoost I drove yesterday. Hmmm...

I gotta talk to the CFO at home before I do anything, though.

·
Registered
6,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How far away is the dealership? You have a few options depending on the distance. I found my truck at a dealer in alabama and they met me half way and we did all the paperwork at a mcdonalds. If it is too far you can buy a one way plane ticket and drive it back, or check into shipping the truck it might be cheaper than you think. You can also have a local dealership try to get the truck you want by doing a dealer trade for it. Some are more willing than others to do this.
You don't understand.

I'm TDY in AL from Jersey. Drove my JK down here and now I'm thinkin' about buying a truck here. Maybe I should just sell the JK, buy the truck, and then pick up a used 2wd JK to build back up. That'll keep me busy for a while. Haha...

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Do what? Take $18k for it? Heck no!

haha...

Anyway, I think with USAA pricing, I might be able to get them down to around $40k even. Man, I'd love to do it. Dragging the JK home on a trailer would be much better than rollin' 40's all the way (another 1,000 miles) back home. It's not that bad, but the Cummins is just sweet. Funny thing is, I think I'm getting better prices on this than I was gonna get outta the Ford dealer on that EcoBoost I drove yesterday. Hmmm...

I gotta talk to the CFO at home before I do anything, though.
Hell no, come back to my house and strip it and leave all the parts with me before you take 18k for it:D. I was saying "do it" to buying a nice tow rig and trailer the jk home.

·
Registered
6,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I'm getting a quote for a trailer. Thinking of getting an enclosed trailer and putting some sort of shelving in the front part above the hood/stinger when it's pulled in. Maybe just 20', but maybe 24'. Maybe I should ask them if they could make me a gooseneck trailer with a small area where I could sleep on the forward section.... hmmm...

·
Registered
1,102 Posts

Hmm...

I was actually at a a few dealerships yesterday trying to see what I would get for mine. Carmax offered me $17k and then I went to another dealer and was offered $17.5 and I talked them up to $18k for a 2008 JKU stock X. They also had that app that you were talking about and I found out that my Jeep was a fleet Jeep before I owned it. I bought it used in 09 with 8k miles on it. Had no idea it was a rental car or something before I had it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.