JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just sold my F250 diesel and picked up a JK. No regrets and can't wait to hit the beach. Now I need to find a roof rack for my kayak. Thats what brought me to this forum. 10 racks to choose from with 20 opinions about each one. I'm lost. I was leaning toward mounting directly to the hard top with a Yakima. I would like to hear suggestions and pics if possible. Thanks

·
Official Monkey Business
12,215 Posts
Welcome to JKO. I'll have to let others chime in about racks.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Welcome aboard, and good luck on picking a rack! It's confusing for sure. Gobi has the best rep of anything out there. If you attach a rack directly to your fiberglass, you are risking the integrity of your top. I'd surf the vendors thread and fire off some pm's for better info.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Welcome.
I am in a similar boat. Currently I am in the process of mounting the rails from a cherokee onto my 4 door's hard top. Then I have a set of Thule feet that fit the cherokee rails from my old jeep. Once I get it on I will mount my Thule cargo box to hold my skis ect. or I can mount any of the thule carriers like bike racks and ski racks. I am going to fab up some plates and either tap them or tack nuts to them so that I wont be mounting directly to the fiberglass. The bolt will go through the rails, through the top, through the plate and then get a nut. The rails have a plastic gasket that the actual rail sits on but I'll use some silicon sealant to make sure it wont leak. I have full confidence that this will work out great and will be plenty strong.
The only problem I have encountered, which might also be a problem for you if you go with the yakima, is that if I mount the rack only to the rear portion of the top and not the freedom panels I can not spread the load bars wide enough to adequately center my cargo box on the roof. The rails will be too close together to provide a stable base and about 1/4 of the box will hang off the back of the roof. My solution will be to mount a short piece of rail to the freedom top as well. I just need to find a donor vehicle that I can get another set of rails from and then I'll be all set to do the final installation.
Depending on how long your kayak is you may not be able to use the yakima, so take a look at the specifications and see how far apart you can spread the load bars and determine if that will be wide enough for your kayak. If you have a 12-14 foot sea kayak it might not be the best set up for you since to centering it on the bars will leave the whole tail of the boat hanging off the back of your roof.
In that case I'd go with wither the Gobi or the wild boar. Both look real good and can also be used with a soft top. If you want to run a soft top the yakima will be pointless.

·
Premium Member
3,720 Posts
I love my Gobi rack. It's heavy duty and super well built, does not attach to the hardtop(so no holes in your top), bolts solidly to the front windshild brackets and at the frame behind your bumper in the rear, you can use it with a soft top. However, if you like to take you top on and off a lot it may not be for you. Yes, it does rotate out of the way but it takes a little work to do so. All in all, I think it's the best rack out there. I do not use it to haul kayaks but there are attachments that you can add to it to hold them on if you are hauling more than one. If you were only putting one up there I believe you could just strap in on.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Welcome!

I am researching rack systems as well. I have narrowed it down to Gobi and Wild Boar. I hear all positive testimonials on the Gobi, and I have not heard anything negative on the Wild Boar. I do like the Wild Boar's tilt basket for raising and lowering the soft top. I am still undecided at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,720 Posts
Welcome!

I am researching rack systems as well. I have narrowed it down to Gobi and Wild Boar. I hear all positive testimonials on the Gobi, and I have not heard anything negative on the Wild Boar. I do like the Wild Boar's tilt basket for raising and lowering the soft top. I am still undecided at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gobi's tilt as well.

·
Premium Member
3,720 Posts
Yes but they tilt front to back correct? I like the side tilt of the Wild Boar. I do like the Gobi's as well.
Correct, the Gobi tilts front to back. That side tilt thing sounds cool, I'd like to see how that works.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the input. Great idea! I didn't even consider doing a modified installation. I'm going to look into copying your idea. If you could keep me updated on your progress I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Originally Posted by CakemanPa
Welcome!

Looks good. Rust issues? I'm on the coast any rust issues? What about rattle or noise?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Thanks for the input. Great idea! I didn't even consider doing a modified installation. I'm going to look into copying your idea. If you could keep me updated on your progress I'd appreciate it.
If you are writing about my idea, dont hold your breath. I have had the jeep and all the parts for almost two years and only started to mock it up this past December. Too many other projects to work on like axles, on boar air, suspension, dual batteries. I primarily use the jeep for wheeling and we had a 06' Grand Cherokee last winter that we took to the ski hill and this winter... well there hasn't been much snow so we haven't really needed it.
I'll keep you posted though and this just might be motivation to get it done! The Cherokee rails work great because the roof of the Cherokee is relatively flat like the hard top and it works for me because I already had the Thule feet from my 98' Grand Cherokee which fit the Cherokee too. I think I'm using Tracker II feet with the fit kit for the grand cherokee.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.