JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its time for me to start looking into new tires for the jeep and was curious if you guys have any suggestions. would like to keep it cheaper and am looking in the 33-35 inch range on 17r rims. Also so if you have some take offs that fit that size I may also be interested.

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
Don't do it...don't go with 17's. Go with 15's and a C-rated tire. You will be thankful you did. Since you actually wheel your rig it will be a much better tire in the long run. I could recommend the MTR's in a 15 but not a 17. Plenty of the guys around here have also been having good luck with Coopers.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
431 Posts
tons of people wheel in 17's

What is your reasoning in going to 15's?

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I'm with murray. Only do 17's if you're gonna run 37's. C rated tires are a much better ride on and off road. And more cost effective. I saved a couple hundred dollars buying 15" wheels and tires than if I had just gotten 17" tires.

Do 35x15x12.50 You will be glad you did.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Not to mention they look a lot better. Makes the tires look a lot bigger.

It's kinda like trimming your pubes. Makes everything look bigger.

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
tons of people wheel in 17's

What is your reasoning in going to 15's?
On a 15" wheel the 35" tire to sidewall ratio works very well when aired down and wheeling. If you throw a 17" wheel onto a 35" tire the sidewall is nonexistent and you just spent a shit ton of money for a fucked up performer. Of course if all your gonna do is mall crawl then that combo works wonders. In fact you could step it up to 18's or even 20's if your lookin to score some skank bitches while your there...lol

For wheeling in the rocks and off camber shit, the combo of a 15" wheel and a 35" tire is awesome. Not too much sidewall roll when off camber and tons of tire to wrap around and grip the rocks as your crawling through them. Even a 15" x 37" combo is great when crawling through the rocks but on off camber stuff you may start getting a little more sidewall roll and that can be a little bit of an issue sometimes. Just depends on how much you air down, etc..

Just the same there's a lot of 17 x 40 combo's out there too so it just goes to show that sidewall roll isn't necessarily something folks seem to worry about that much anymore. The rubber compound is what really makes a huge difference between a 17" and 15" tire. I really wish these bastards would get off their asses and start making special C-rated 17" tires for offroading. This D-rated bullshit is for the birds...jmho

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
Not to mention they look a lot better. Makes the tires look a lot bigger.

It's kinda like trimming your pubes. Makes everything look bigger.
Yeah mine looks fucking huge when I keep it shaved! Just ask Jim:eek:

·
Registered
188 Posts
I couldn't find a 37" tire on a 15" rim among the good/common tires. 35 is the max.

That said I run 33 & 15 now, 35 & 15 next.

15s are $100 per tire cheaper than 17s for the same size. It adds up.

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
I couldn't find a 37" tire on a 15" rim among the good/common tires. 35 is the max.

That said I run 33 & 15 now, 35 & 15 next.

15s are $100 per tire cheaper than 17s for the same size. It adds up.

Maxxis, Super Swamper...

·
Registered
48 Posts
I thought 15' had clearance issues with break calipers on JK's

I agree, 15 and 35's is the way to go. I had that setup on my TJ.

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
I thought 15' had clearance issues with break calipers on JK's

I agree, 15 and 35's is the way to go. I had that setup on my TJ.
With the correct 15" wheel they work. Even without the correct wheel you can grind down the calipers to fit without much worry.

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
Rich, which wheels are you guys running again?

·
Registered
459 Posts
I run 15" MB Wheels from Discount Tire on my Jeep and the Wifes Jeep without any caliper issues. The backspacing on mine is 3.75 and I think hers is 4. Same brand different design but both are 15" wheels with 35" KM2's. I air them down to 10 pounds and I haven't broken the bead yet. All in all I am pretty happy with the set up. Plus those tires are somewhere around $200 each with is about the cheapest, good wheeling tire you're gonna get. All 5 wheels and tires from Discount Tire out the door is about $2000. If you finance them then you get a year with no interest. Not a bad deal.

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
Great Freaky, thanks for forwarding that info.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Unfortunately they discontinued the MB 72's in black. They have sever others though.

If I'm not mistaken, it is the alloy wheels that clear. The steelies have a ridge that hits the caliper. Some cragar 15's fit but its hit or miss. Try them before you mount any tires to them.

Sent from that damn free autoguide app... Hacked to not suck or have ads!

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
Thanks for the clarification Rich.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Plus the aluminum wheels are an average of 7 to 9 pounds lighter than steelies per wheel. We all know how gutless our Jeeps are. Any weight you can save helps.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Unfortunately they discontinued the MB 72's in black. They have sever others though.

If I'm not mistaken, it is the alloy wheels that clear. The steelies have a ridge that hits the caliper. Some cragar 15's fit but its hit or miss. Try them before you mount any tires to them.

Sent from that damn free autoguide app... Hacked to not suck or have ads!
I just put the MB TKO wheel on Tina's Jeep and they clear everything just fine.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts