JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The stock Infinity system was "ok" but not what quality and loudness I am used to :laughing:
I like to hear my system over mud tires, no top and highway speeds. That and its nice to have a good system for camping/beach.
First thing to go was the head unit. I wanted everything integrated, blue tooth, Ipod, front and rear cameras and nav. I like Garmin so I went with a Kenwood DNX7120. I could have gone with the 8120 but for the extra cash it had nothing I "needed".

Big arse sucker WILL fit :laughing: don't bother with an "install kit" as the plastic included is worthless. just shave the plastic center dash part to fit the cage and cut some plastic for the sides to blend it in. I used some Knydex from my holster making stuff with double sided tape.
a "wiring kit" is worthless as well unless you plan on using the factory amp/speakers. There is one hot pos, a ground and then the wires to the stock amp. You will have to find a switched POS. I use the lighter to switch a relay that is direct fused off the battery.

Oh and cheap chicom backup cameras rock

resolution is great but the color is off due to the CCD being IR sensitive.
The AUX AV will be wired to an under bumper camera in the front for self spotting.

Now amp location is a PITA , no room ANYWHERE but in places that suck

sooooo lets think outside the box. 2 MTX 904 marine amps plus all assorted requirements need to go somewhere....

Figure out where this is?

Yup, on the cage :grinpimp: (cover is not installed in these pics but are covered in the same cloth as the cage)
Problem with this is I can not halfass something like this. I mean I could have just ran whatever tube and been done, but do things right.
So I reinforced the cage in the process.
1.5 .133 wall DOM with 1/4" plates at both end in double shear with 3/4 grade 8 bolts. The existing cage holes are perfect for this.

Amps are mounted on 1/4" aluminum plate using welded on taps.

Next problem is subwoofers and boxes.

2 fosgate 10"s in custom boxes. Boxes are 3/4 MDF that is then coated in fiberglass epoxy, then fiberglassed, then covered in rubber diamond plate. Mounted in 4 places with 3/16" plate, they are waterproof, strong and will NOT move in an accident/rollover.

Not shown is the Infinity Reference components replacing all 4 stock units.

Questions ? Comments? Concerns?

·
Registered
686 Posts
Nice install.

I would like to buy your factory Subwoofer enclosure if it is for sale ..

Thanks ... Dan

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
looks good, only thing i would worry about is theft, but im pretty paraniod since my integra was stolen

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice install.

I would like to buy your factory Subwoofer enclosure if it is for sale ..

Thanks ... Dan
it is but I am not in a shipping mood :laughing:

looks good, only thing i would worry about is theft, but im pretty paraniod since my integra was stolen
Theft is the least of my worry. I have insurance when not at home and firearms when I am.

But :devil:

all amp bolts are nylocked, it was done for vibration resistance but it would bring you a world of suck to steal it :laughing: IF you even think to look up there.
Sub boxes can only be removed if you know where the mounts are. Even with a crow bar you would have a tough time.

The headunit is the weak point. and if its stolen its worthless unless you know the access code.
And removing it is NOT as easy as sliding a butter knife on the sides :D

I used to have a colorful past, I know how to make a thief look someplace easier.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Very nice...

Love the colorful past reference...but isn't that the truth.. when you know how to counteract their thought process.

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very nice...

Love the colorful past reference...but isn't that the truth.. when you know how to counteract their thought process.
I had "morals" in my past stupidity :laughing: so car stereo's were out, but I know the way the mindset works.
You give an easy target and your stuff grows legs.
You make it tough or put things in odd locations and they look elsewhere.
That and people dont look "up"
Its just like people who leave their GPS on the dash and wonder why their car was broke into.

You want my stuff? you have to work for and risk being shot :laughing: Its not like they can disconnect the battery from the alarm, they have to find it first :grinpimp:

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very nice. One question - with the roof on can those amps make your ears bleed ? :D
soft top only, it pisses off the urban youth around here nicely :devil:

but I got to tune it and I think I have a air leak on the passenger side sub, its getting some flutter at volume.

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice install! I'll agree "people don't look up" but white does catch the eye against all that black....
read the post :thefinger: The cover is removed for that pic. they are under a cloth cover that is the same material as the rollcage coverings

Very nice.. could you post up some more pics of the Amp install and wire run to them?
what would you like to see?
RCA's run from the head unit, above the glove box, down kick pannel, under passenger side rocker, up B pillar to cage and then to amps.

Power is from rear batteries, up drivers rear cage tube, across spreader to amps.
ground runs from amps to cage, cage to body. I tried a direct run from ground to battery but it did not change my hum I am fighting so I kept it this way.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Looks good, you may want to play with the sub wiring a bit, when I used to build demo and show vehicles we used to do alot of sub set ups where they fire at each other. Since they are aimed at each other they have a tendancy to cancel each other ouuut somewhat, it looks like you have more than enough space between the two but if you get bored one day take and reverse the polarity of one of the subs, basically working backwar 9087654312

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Sorry my wireless keyboard went nuts. Anyway it may not make a difference with the 10's and you do have a good amount of space between them but wanted to throw it out as a thought. I wish someone would come up with some 10" boxes that go in that location that angled them somewhat forward, and don't ask me I gave that up long ago. I almost got stuck under the dash last week just looking around. :shaking:

·
Registered
438 Posts
How does the whole set up look w/ the top off? Is it just exposed from the top or do you have the top covered?

What kind of material did you mount the amps and wiring to? looks like some sort of metal???

Thanks

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
it is but I am not in a shipping mood :laughing:

Theft is the least of my worry. I have insurance when not at home and firearms when I am.
Is it your auto insurance that covers it or your home owners?

·
Registered
422 Posts
That's SWEET! Good job... Doesn't look like your first rodeo.. lol:)

1 - 20 of 51 Posts