·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Attachments

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I wondered the exact same thing. I'll have one here tomorrow or Wednesday and will post some pics.
From what I read on the "other forum", believe it or not, it attaches with...
Wait for it...
Double sided tape :shaking: :confused:

Seeing as this came from the "other forum" I imagine that this is comparable to emergencies like "Help! can I fit 18" tires on my 17" Rubicon wheels if I attach spacers?..." :laughing:

At the same time you do have to wonder about the safety wire and the lack of other visible fasteners. :confused:

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
At the same time you do have to wonder about the safety wire and the lack of other visible fasteners. :confused:
There are some double sided tapes that are very strong and capable, but I'm not entirely convinced I'd want to use it, although I'd give it a try, maybe...

The safety wire seems to be a waste of time to me, as that could easily get cut off by a rock. Making a few tabs that allow it to be bolt in place would seem to be the logical way to me, but they are not there. We'll see...

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
yeah, I may be wrong but it looks like it would be a pretty simple deal to have a couple of ears coming off and use some longer oil pan bolts.
I guess they don't wanna be responsible for their skid catching a rock and tearing off your oil pan?

some of the other stuff looks pretty cool tho

·
Registered
962 Posts
There are some double sided tapes that are very strong and capable, but I'm not entirely convinced I'd want to use it, although I'd give it a try, maybe...

The safety wire seems to be a waste of time to me, as that could easily get cut off by a rock. Making a few tabs that allow it to be bolt in place would seem to be the logical way to me, but they are not there. We'll see...
I agree about the tape, some of that stuff you can't remove short of applying a smoke wrench.

Not sure I agree with you on the wire, we use a ton of it here at work (aviation, repair and new mfg.). Some of that stuff will dull and nick even the best cutters.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts

Don't take my word on it about the tape. I could be totally off the wall on that. Its just something I read on the "other forum". Its possible that tape is enough to do the trick. I donno. I'd think that the main thing this skid is doing is protecting the pan from crushing forces so its possible that no other fastener is needed. Again, I donno.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure I agree with you on the wire, we use a ton of it here at work (aviation, repair and new mfg.). Some of that stuff will dull and nick even the best cutters.
Maybe it's stronger than it looks, but I'd have thought that should it get between a rock and the skid, the wire will cut.

My concern about the wire is that is it there just because they don't trust the tape? ;)

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don't take my word on it about the tape.
Too late. If it is held on with tape, you will get passing acknowledgment for stating the obvious; if it is held on some other way you will be ridiculed for years ;)

I'd think that the main thing this skid is doing is protecting the pan from crushing forces so its possible that no other fastener is needed. Again, I donno.
I agree, just about force acting against it will be pushing it up.

It's only 1/8" also, but I unless you plan using your oil pan as a sledge hammer, I don't think it needs to be any stronger. I haven't hit my oil pan at all yet, and even if I did it would likely be on an obstacle where I was moving very slow.

·
Registered
962 Posts
The oilpan is so high in the frame I can't imagine hitting it without doing serious collateral damage to other parts the obstacle had to destroy/drag over to get to the pan......

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The oil pan skid plate is held in place with ProSeal Copper XS Hi-Temp RTV Silicone Instant Gasket. The instructions say to hold the skid in place with a jack over night and that it fully cures in 24 hours. The wire (that can be seen in the picture) is optional and not provided, and I suspect not necessary.

It looks stout enough to protect the oil pan pretty well, and is an economical way of adding protection.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The front diff glide plate is a solid looking piece and no doubt will do the job well. I'm not 100% convinced it is needed, but I like the idea.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The front LCA brackets are simple enough, but make for easy bolt protection on in an area that needs it.

·
Registered
420 Posts
The front diff glide plate is a solid looking piece and no doubt will do the job well. I'm not 100% convinced it is needed,

Why do you say that? Not arguing - just curious. It seems like the front of the differential would be somewhat vulnerable without it.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Why do you say that? Not arguing - just curious. It seems like the front of the differential would be somewhat vulnerable without it.
First I try not to ram rocks with my diff, but it does happen from time to time. Second, I have a Riddler diff cover which offers pretty good protection already.

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea, I really do, I'm just not 100% that it is needed, but I'm open to persuasion ;)

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
First I try not to ram rocks with my diff, but it does happen from time to time. Second, I have a Riddler diff cover which offers pretty good protection already.

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea, I really do, I'm just not 100% that it is needed, but I'm open to persuasion ;)
Hey Phil, do you think that would work with the Riddler cover?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts