JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked 5 of these up from Lunatic Customs today! I can't wait to get them mounted....

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I've never done it before but it can't be too hard. Any words of advice?

·
The Wheelin Man's Friend
8,653 Posts
Here's what I did that made life a little easier...

I took a black marker and picked out "top dead center" on one of the bolts. basically, with the wheel laying in front of me the center bolt across from me. Marked that one, counted 8, marked that one, counted 8 marked that one.

I had 4 points on the wheel that were directly across from each other and marked them 1, 2, 3, 4 in my head. Then went around in a criss cross pattern until they were all snugged down. Do this three times, starting at about 10 ft/llbs with the torque wrench.

I did the first one by hand...started the second one by hand and moved on to my 1/2" Dewalt with a socket adapter. By the time I got to the fourth wheel I broke out the impact, choked down the line pressure and went to town.

When all was said and done it took about 12 PSI to seat the bead and only a little pressure from my foot while airing up to get the bead to start to slide across. Nothing violent or crazy IMO, but I've mounted a lot of tires. These were extremely docile.

Take your time and be ready to spend an afternoon in the garage with some good tunes and beverage of your choice. I thoroughly enjoyed the install.

Marcus

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice Marcus -- 'ppreciate it. I figue the first one will take a while but by the time I get to the fifth one, I'll be an expert. I am looking forward to screwing with them this weekend.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
FWIW I found a micro torque wrench in in/lbs is better than using a bigger one in ft/lbs. I use the same marks as marcus, but use chalk on the tire and do 4 smaller marks every 4 bolts. After getting them all snug by hand, I do one pass at 145 in/lbs (12 ft/lbs), then start at 180 in/lbs (15 ft/lbs). For new tires it usually takes me 5 or 6 passes to get them all tight. Then I check them every 4-5 days for about 3 weeks. As the bead gets squished into shape they will torque down some more. A good wheeling trip will usually speed this process up and after torquing them down afterwards they are usually pretty well done.

If you use anti seize adjust your torque settings for wet bolts. The max torque for Grade 8 5/16" x 18 bolts is only 25 ft/lbs, this drops to 18 ft/lbs when wet.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Subscribing. Marcus, tires are here waiting on the wheels.

·
The Wheelin Man's Friend
8,653 Posts
FWIW I found a micro torque wrench in in/lbs is better than using a bigger one in ft/lbs. I use the same marks as marcus, but use chalk on the tire and do 4 smaller marks every 4 bolts. After getting them all snug by hand, I do one pass at 145 in/lbs (12 ft/lbs), then start at 180 in/lbs (15 ft/lbs). For new tires it usually takes me 5 or 6 passes to get them all tight. Then I check them every 4-5 days for about 3 weeks. As the bead gets squished into shape they will torque down some more. A good wheeling trip will usually speed this process up and after torquing them down afterwards they are usually pretty well done.

If you use anti seize adjust your torque settings for wet bolts. The max torque for Grade 8 5/16" x 18 bolts is only 25 ft/lbs, this drops to 18 ft/lbs when wet.
You are the master Phil. You take advice to the next level and I'm glad you're back around! :) :beer:

Guiness...I can't wait to see your crazy wheels and tires installed my brother! Now get back out on the porch!

Marcus

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
You are the master Phil. You take advice to the next level and I'm glad you're back around! :) :beer:

Guiness...I can't wait to see your crazy wheels and tires installed my brother! Now get back out on the porch!

Marcus
Yeah. I would send a pic right now except I dont have the wheels yet and I am sure I will need to spend some alone time with my grinder and sheet metal before all is said and done.:laughing:

And you spelled my name wrong.:thefinger:

·
JKO Dickhead
3,520 Posts
Guiness ---- sweet !!!
SofaKing ---- I hate u !!!

and i mean that in the nicest way....well as nice as a jealous little boy can be when he wants something someone else has....

I NEED some beadlocks !!!

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Good looking wheels. Love mine :beer:

·
Registered
931 Posts
you gotta love it when you receive a pallet of tires! :bounce::beer:

·
Premium Member
2,805 Posts
Guinness- are those going on a dana 30?

And sofaking - i want your wheels! Cant wait to see em mounted up.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I got the spare mounted up last night, it took me a couple of hours. There is a very steep learning curve so the rest shouldn't take near as long. Now I've just got to find time to take the other four to a tire shop to have them broken down.

Here's a pic from my cell phone.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts