JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a schwinn frontier off a guy from craigslist a while back to see if I would like trail/mountain biking and I love it. So I finally made the decision that I was in need of an upgrade. After a day of searching on craigslist again, I had no luck. One guy rebuilds bikes but is selling them way too expensive and wont come down in price at all. The next day while in my college sunday school class at church, a friend of mine tells me "Hey u should buy my dads bike from him." She was like a messenger from God himself cuz I had not said anything to anyone about looking for a new bike. The big man answering my prayers again!!! I asked her the specs on the bike and she tells me its a KHS Full Suspension XC-204 and is being sold for 350 bones. I told her I would do some research and let her know. I made some calls and found out the bike brand new sells for 1200-1400 in store and around 1000-1100 online. I instantly called her and told her I would come get it from her. So tonight I picked it up and i am a proud owner of a new bike. Couldnt be happier. Looks sharp AND i got a sweet deal. Now off to find some clip in shoes!!! :beer::beer::beer: If u have any advice on what shoes to get it would be greatly appreciated. This is the first bike i have owned that requires clip ins. Thanks.

·
CalmerThanYouAre
9,377 Posts
I have Sidi for mtb shoes and a set of crank brother egg beaters.
Not a downhill bike though. Litespeed pisgah
What pedals you have?

·
Registered
563 Posts
We are in "Honeymoon Limbo" until the boat leaves on Sunday. :thefinger:
And you can't think of anything better to do than post on JKO? You need to work on your priorities. :grinpimp:
Congrats by the way Hit. Wishing you a lifetime of happiness with your new bride :beer:

</hijack>

Airmech - congrats on the sweet deal. I know nothing about bikes, but it sounds like you definitely scored.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have Sidi for mtb shoes and a set of crank brother egg beaters.
Not a downhill bike though. Litespeed pisgah
What pedals you have?
Idk to be honest. I dont think he changed them so whichever ones came with the bike. But my buddy just got some crank brother pedals for 40 bucks and the reviews are really good so I'll probably get them cuz these have a little rust.
And who says God doesn't listen!!!

Nice bike..:innocent:
Thanks man. And I know he is always listening. Thats y he is so awesome.

·
CalmerThanYouAre
9,377 Posts
Crank brothers are made in USA too.:beer:

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And you can't think of anything better to do than post on JKO? You need to work on your priorities. :grinpimp:
Congrats by the way Hit. Wishing you a lifetime of happiness with your new bride :beer:

</hijack>

Airmech - congrats on the sweet deal. I know nothing about bikes, but it sounds like you definitely scored.
Thanks. Im very happy with my purchase. The last guy kinda ripped me off. Oh well. Im selling my old one for half of what i paid.
Crank brothers are made in USA too.:beer:
I'll support anything made in the good ole USA!!!

·
Registered
871 Posts
Congrats on the bike! When I bought my first set of shoes I was told to spend the money on a nice pair of Sidi take care of them and they will last forever. 2 years later they still look new. Check out chainlove.com there are some good deals there if you watch it for a while.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Egg Beaters or SPD pedals are both good. If you get the Egg Beaters make sure you get the 2011 design and I would spring for the Egg Beater 3. I switched to Egg Beaters from SPD pedals this summer and rode 4+ days a week - the pedals took a beating and worked great. The material on the Egg Beater 1 & 2 is cheaper and does not seem to hold up as well. Enjoy the new bike - our season is quickly coming to an end here in the midwest.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Can't go wrong with the egg beaters. Lots of float so you won't kill your knees and easy in and out so you might not fall on your head during the learning curve. Good deals can be found on shoes at the end of the season if you don't need the latest and greatest. You didn't mention a helmet, if you don't have one already make sure you try on several and buy the one that fits the best. They all have to meet the same minimum standards so fit and comfort are more important than spending a bunch of dough.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
cant believe noone has asked for pics yet!

lets see it man!!!!
Let me put a pic on my computer and I'll upload them in a sec for u guys.

Congrats on the bike! When I bought my first set of shoes I was told to spend the money on a nice pair of Sidi take care of them and they will last forever. 2 years later they still look new. Check out chainlove.com there are some good deals there if you watch it for a while.
I talked to a guy at Outdoors Inc and he told me to pick between Sidi and Shimano and I wouldnt go wrong. Just a little pricey but he said the same as u, if I take care of them they will last forever.

Egg Beaters or SPD pedals are both good. If you get the Egg Beaters make sure you get the 2011 design and I would spring for the Egg Beater 3. I switched to Egg Beaters from SPD pedals this summer and rode 4+ days a week - the pedals took a beating and worked great. The material on the Egg Beater 1 & 2 is cheaper and does not seem to hold up as well. Enjoy the new bike - our season is quickly coming to an end here in the midwest.
I found out I have Crank Bros Candy 1s on there and bought a 15 dollar rebuild kit. I figured I would see how I like the clip in pedals before I bought new ones. That rebuild kit was very simple. They were gonna charge me 20 bucks to do it for me lol. And yea it sucks its starting to get colder but I'll ride in the cold lol.

Can't go wrong with the egg beaters. Lots of float so you won't kill your knees and easy in and out so you might not fall on your head during the learning curve. Good deals can be found on shoes at the end of the season if you don't need the latest and greatest. You didn't mention a helmet, if you don't have one already make sure you try on several and buy the one that fits the best. They all have to meet the same minimum standards so fit and comfort are more important than spending a bunch of dough.
Yea I def need to get a helmet. I have had a few nasty falls here and there but LUCKILY I havent busted me head open. The bike store by my house closes really early so when I get off I have to drive very fast to get there. Not risking that with these shitty memphis drivers out there.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My bike and the pedal. Sorry about the size of the picture. I dont know how to make it smaller.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Nice bike, enjoy it!

I just recently made a huge upgrade to an Epic comp 29er love it.

Just a tip for everyone running crank bros.

Get these to save you $$$ shoes...
http://www.crankbrothers.com/accessories_shoe_shields.php

My shoes are almost seven years old and the soles show no wear where the beaters contact them. I actually have the OG "beater blockers" fromt he guy whos first made them before crank bros bought him out. Great 10.00 investment.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nice bike, enjoy it!

I just recently made a huge upgrade to an Epic comp 29er love it.

Just a tip for everyone running crank bros.

Get these to save you $$$ shoes...
http://www.crankbrothers.com/accessories_shoe_shields.php

My shoes are almost seven years old and the soles show no wear where the beaters contact them. I actually have the OG "beater blockers" fromt he guy whos first made them before crank bros bought him out. Great 10.00 investment.
Thanks. I'll look into those man.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I have the original egg beaters, 9 years strong, they have outlasted my bikes.

I wear shimano shoes cuz they fit my feet better than the sidi MTB shoes. which is weird because my motorcycle boots are sidi.

my .02 get shoes with at least the top rachet strap, stays tight all ride long, the Velcro starts to give up some hold after awhile.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I also run egg beaters. The nicest thing about them is no adjustment. I previously used shimano SPDs and just never got them adjusted to my liking. personally I hate SIDI's for shoes. I had a pair of them and because I have marginally wider than a tiny Japanese woman's foot they fit poorly and would just hurt after a bit. If you have one near, try buying shoes from REI. With their return policy you can afford the trial and error.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have the original egg beaters, 9 years strong, they have outlasted my bikes.

I wear shimano shoes cuz they fit my feet better than the sidi MTB shoes. which is weird because my motorcycle boots are sidi.

my .02 get shoes with at least the top rachet strap, stays tight all ride long, the Velcro starts to give up some hold after awhile.
Im thinking about getting these: http://www.zappos.com/shimano-sh-m161g-gray-black?zlfid=111&recoName=zap_pdp_sub

I also run egg beaters. The nicest thing about them is no adjustment. I previously used shimano SPDs and just never got them adjusted to my liking. personally I hate SIDI's for shoes. I had a pair of them and because I have marginally wider than a tiny Japanese woman's foot they fit poorly and would just hurt after a bit. If you have one near, try buying shoes from REI. With their return policy you can afford the trial and error.
Yea I heard the sidi shoes r really narrow. I dont like narrow shoes. I was told the shimano shoes r wider. Check out the link I posted. I like those plus they have the cleats on the front. Not top of the line but I just need some decent ones.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.