JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been lurking on here and reading quite a bit, beings we're supposed to do this social distancing crap now i figured i'd introduce myself. Ive had a ton of XJ's over the years, and even a TJ. After a 6 year hiatus since my TJ, I bought a 2013 JKU this past October from a Salvage Auction and have slowly been working on rebuilding it.



-Greg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,359 Posts
Welcome.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,558 Posts
Looks like a fun platform to start with. Keep us posted on what you do to it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
702 Posts
Welcome to JKO and good luck with your rebuild.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the welcomes! I guess i'll post a little update to as to the rebuild.

Its a 2013 Sahara with 46k miles on it.

So upon getting it home on the trailer and putting it on jack stands, i started investigating. It looked to have an AEV 3.5" lift on it, but most of the front end components were bent and springs rusty leading me to believe it spent a bit of time at the beach, as it came out of NJ. The axle had a significant bend in it along with the brackets for the upper and lower control arms being ripped off on the passenger side, and steering shaft coming out of the box was sheared clean off along with severely bent tie rod and drag link. Passenger side flare was gone, and fender had a small dent in it which would largely be covered with a flare anyway.

First things first, i needed to get this thing off the trailer. I lined the bent sheared off mounts up on the axle as best I could and welded everything back together. Found a like new steering box on craigslist for $ 100 and ordered new moog tie rod and drag link off rockauto, threw the spare on and had a semi-driveable jeep.



So the next logical step would have been to find an axle, but instead i decided to do some cosmetic upgrades before I messed with that. Quadratec was having a sale on some bumpers, so i ordered smittybilt xrc gen 2 front, gen 1 rear, and flares.




This at least left it more presentable looking sitting in the driveway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
A couple of weeks later I stumbled upon a burnt 2013 Rubicon coming up at auction, alas, some axles. So I bid on it, and won.



And proceeded to rip out the parts I needed.



Front axle got stripped down and rebuilt completely.



Its now sleeved, gusseted, with artec lower control arm mounts and shock mounts welded on. Teraflex ball joints, and yukon 4.88 gears. Also Yukon chromoly front axle shafts. Decided at this point to order a Metal Cloak 3.5" Game Changer lift kit.

Here is the rebuilt axle in the Jeep.



Finished off with some larger brakes.



I had a hard time deciding which wheels to go with, but ultimately ended up with a set of Mopar Offroad wheels wrapped in BFG AT's 37x12.5r17 tires.



Front axle got buttoned up and wheels installed. I pulled the rear out of the sahara and put it on the rubicon, and started to rebuild the rubicon rear inside where it was nice and warm. Ended up selling the rubicon to recoup some cash in the next few days.



I think the teraflex hinge happened somewhere around this point also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A few late nights later and rear was rebuilt, again with yukon chromoly shafts and 4.88 gears, new brakes, etc.



Very first trip to the gas station since I bought it.



Now I was starting to get excited!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
At this point, I should have been happy/content with what I had, but what I had didn't necessarily match the picture of what I wanted in my head. The smittybilt bumpers weren't bad for the money, but the front wouldn't fit my warn winch without significant modification. The spare tire on the teraflex hinge would hit the rear bumper, and the flares just didn't do it for me. Back to the drawing board.

Upon much deliberation, I sold off all the smitty stuff and ordered a pile of poison spyder. Brawler Lite front Bumper with skid plate, Rockbrawler II rear bumper, brawler rockers and crusher steel flares in their wide option.

Started installing parts when they showed up.

Rockers


Flares


I got the flares fitted, had some qc issues with them and ended up with replacements for both front and rears, but in the end everything was taken care of.

Here are the fronts primed, and the oem rears thrown on temporarily so that I could run down to MD and pick up a hardtop.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Eventually the flares were cleaned, sanded, seams sealed and finally epoxy primed.



Next came basecoat



And finally clearcoat

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So here it is, mostly done. Still a few odds and ends left like wiring up the e-lockers and new front driveshaft needed, but its driveable and finally looks like what I wanted in the first place.

Had some death wobble driving around with the moog tie rod and drag link, without steering stabilizer. Ended up ordering Yeti XD Tie Rod and flipped drag link, drove around with them for a few days with no wobble. Then I installed the steering stabilizer. Also some JW Speaker headlights and chinese turn signals.





 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The next phase of this build will be an LS swap. I'm currently gathering parts for it, and likely wont happen until the end of the year. This is part of the reason I have held off on driveshafts.

Now i'm undecided whether to put this on my G8 or save it for the Jeep...

 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top