JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think of this 6" side mirror design? It's a fully spring loaded break-away design. It could have an optional wide angle high intensity LEDs mounted in it for side/frontal vision.

Thanks for any feed back.

Attachments

·
Random Dude
3,039 Posts
IMHO, the break-away is idiotic compared to the factory mirrors that always FOLD AWAY when I smack 'em on something.

Personally, I prefer the larger field of view of the rectangular factory mirrors.

LEDs in the mirrors - meh, not where I'd put 'em - looks like a VatoZone or RuggedRidge trinket to me.

If you can market it, more power to you, but I have zero use for any of that.

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
If you're pimping your shit you need a yellow star...

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Yellow star only if actually selling shit, it is ok to check the water.
I think the mirror is a horrid idea, and leds on jk mirrors are just dollars waiting to be smashed.
Bling is bad, mkay?

·
Registered
619 Posts
There is a market for mall crawlers.

Would be too fragile for anyone that wheels their Jeep.
Yip I personally wouldn't buy them but Ill bet they would sell a lot of them.

·
Super Moderator
6,194 Posts
it is the base mount that is the culprit and design-element that is flawed ; my mirrors can break-away or flop shut as the OEMs do but the extruding base where the sheet metal has the bracket affixed is the damage point . These offer no more or less protection than the stock , albeit in a nice looking , round option. a tree or rock wall is gonna smash that mounting point cover where it mates to the body just as it will the stock mirrors.

·
JKO Dickhead
3,522 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I have a gold star on Pirate 4x4 , does that count? :flippoff2:
Thanks for the input. I'm not trying to sell anything, rather getting a feeling before pulling the trigger on $15k molds.

Injection molded plastic mirrors evolved from mirrors I am currently making.
They originally were made for Ultra 4 cars but a lot were sold to TJ, JK and were mounted to the A pillar.
They have some wind noise and people back east were concerned about mud packing in them. So this is why the more street-friendly version.
After OEM, there's not a lot of choices for door mounted mirrors.

Here's another question: A pillar mounted mirrors are geared for people that take the doors off. Most of you are probably hard core but for the general population, I don't think they ever take the doors off.
Should I stay focused on the door mounted mirror or make it A pillar mounted? (the downside to mounting the mirror on the windshield frame is that for in order to have the door clear the mirror on the passenger side, visibility is reduced unless the door limit strap is shorten)

Here's the kind of mirrors I've made so far, 100 were made by hand and they all sold.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,194 Posts
now, that yellow TJ mirror and mounting to a pillar- guard /light bar bracket is cool and I would /could use that. It's exactly what I am looking for, albeit a little more complex ....I just want two ultra4 car mirrors that can fold mounted to the pillar as those are ....still, looking closely it appears that is going to damage the A-pillar if it hits something at the base where it mounts but it appears to be very heavy duty as far as housing ....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
^ It's tig welded .080" 4130 chromo. The knuckle is stainless. The knuckle will mis-align 90 deg. in any direction and return to the original position. It's supposed to do that before the a-pillar gets bitched.

·
Registered
646 Posts
They originally were made for Ultra 4 cars but a lot were sold to TJ, JK and were mounted to the A pillar.
They have some wind noise and people back east were concerned about mud packing in them. So this is why the more street-friendly version.
After OEM, there's not a lot of choices for door mounted mirrors.

Should I stay focused on the door mounted mirror or make it A pillar mounted? (the downside to mounting the mirror on the windshield frame is that for in order to have the door clear the mirror on the passenger side, visibility is reduced unless the door limit strap is shorten)

Here's the kind of mirrors I've made so far, 100 were made by hand and they all sold.
The kind you have made 100 of so far, I would take a set just like that if you had a mount for the factory location on a JK.

I leave my doors on when I wheel cause in the southeast there is mud everwhere. Plus I feel safer with them on when I wheel. They have taken some hits. The stock mirrors are gone due to those hits.

·
Registered
3 Posts
For the doorless crowd or those with windows down, I would like to see an off road mirror that mounts to the A-pillar INSIDE the rig. Something that folds in and out in a simple way. Something with a convex mirror that is easily adjustable.

When you know something is coming, you can pull the mirror in, if something surprises you, it will fold in and nothing on the A pillar is going to catch.

·
Random Dude
3,039 Posts
. . . getting a feeling before pulling the trigger on $15k molds.

Just an idea, semi-independent of your injection-molded version:

Tooling would be cheap to make a thermoformed plastic shell for the fabbed steel version.
A simple, aerodynamic shape like a half-teardrop or an avocado peel is a breeze to vacuum mold.
Could address the wind noise and mud packing for about ten bucks a pair retail (five bucks to make, depending on volume).

If you need to visualize the concept, suggest making fresh guacamole:

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
I run soft doors all the time so I can take them off whenever weather permits. (We get multiple seasons in one day here in SC) I have the Rugged Ridge circle mirrors that mount to the pillar that I like, but I can't see crap out of them. I have to use tiny stick on blind spot mirrors to see other drivers behind me. I think if you adapted the design to work with multiple mounting points, (door, pillar, inside like someone mentioned) with mirrors that you can clearly see what's behind you, you might have something that would appeal to multiple different Jeepers and have multiple uses.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just an idea, semi-independent of your injection-molded version:

Tooling would be cheap to make a thermoformed plastic shell for the fabbed steel version.
A simple, aerodynamic shape like a half-teardrop or an avocado peel is a breeze to vacuum mold.
Could address the wind noise and mud packing for about ten bucks a pair retail (five bucks to make, depending on volume).

If you need to visualize the concept, suggest making fresh guacamole:
I made a batch of thermoformed mirrors made with a Delrin knuckle. It's a cheaper way to go but is limited on how the shell is formed.
Turns out even using 1/4" ABS the shell was not rigid enough and would flutter in the wind.

I have considered making the wind/mud shell to go over the metal "cross" bodies of the 2nd gen aluminum mirrors.

At this point, it doesn't look like I'm going to pull the trigger on the injection molded mirrors. The best option is to make a A pillar mount to adapt the 2nd gen aluminum mirrors to a JK/TJ.

Here's the spring loaded thermoformed mirrors that were done:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,194 Posts
I will buy a pair of those with that bracket for mounting if you have them for sale. I like that.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts