JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my first Jeep recently. It is a 2015 with new 35 inch tires and what I believe is a body lift. ( FYI....I know nothing about lifts/jeeps/etc so please no rude comments). Just looking for suggestions... The steering is very loose and wonders especially when I am above 45-50mph. If I hit a bump or anything in the road, I have to make multiple corrections. At this time, I am scared to take it on the interstate or anywhere but back and forth to work. Help please...

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Pictures would really help. With what you've described, it could be any number of things: misalignment, bad hub bearings, improperly installed body lift, loose bolts somewhere, mismatched steering components, out of whack steering geometry, unbalanced wheels, unevenly worn tires, or you could have a steering box going bad. When I say "steering components" I'm referring to your drag-link, tie-rod, track-bar, etc. When you lift a vehicle, you must also account for the change in geometry of the components that work together.

If you can shoot some pictures of/ under the front end that would help greatly. It could be simple or complex but it's next to impossible for anyone here to advise you without some more detailed information and/ or pictures.

Just to familiarize you with some of the components that I'm speaking of...

·
Registered
31 Posts
You might take it to a mechanic, put it on a lift and see if front wheels move (in ways they are not supposed to move). For me, what you are describing turned out to be bad ball joints.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts