JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody.
I don't currently own a Jeep, but I am looking to try to get one by the time the summer is out. Currently I am trying to work out how much it will cost to build to see if my timeframe is correct or if I need to find another job to reach my goal. I'm looking at various lifts trying to decide what is best for me. Honestly, I don't know how much off-roading I will be doing, but I'm one of those guys that likes to have the best that I can afford. So, I'm looking between the Rock Krawler 2.5" lift kit and a Teraflex 2.5" lift kit. Now, I've read some threads about the debate between these two, but what I want to know is, should I purchase new shocks with the lift, or are the stock ones capable enough? I plan on putting on 33" or 35" tires at some point during my build, if this changes anything.
Thanks for your input.

· Registered
6,149 Posts
Hey everybody.
I don't currently own a Jeep, but I am looking to try to get one by the time the summer is out. Currently I am trying to work out how much it will cost to build to see if my timeframe is correct or if I need to find another job to reach my goal. I'm looking at various lifts trying to decide what is best for me. Honestly, I don't know how much off-roading I will be doing, but I'm one of those guys that likes to have the best that I can afford. So, I'm looking between the Rock Krawler 2.5" lift kit and a Teraflex 2.5" lift kit. Now, I've read some threads about the debate between these two, but what I want to know is, should I purchase new shocks with the lift, or are the stock ones capable enough? I plan on putting on 33" or 35" tires at some point during my build, if this changes anything.
Thanks for your input.
Out of the two the 2.5 RK max travel. I really like progressive springs and you will need shocks. The Bilstein 5100's work well with that kit.

Jason

· Comfortably Numb
12,287 Posts
One thing that's been done before if you're on a strict budget is to buy a two wheel drive model and then start building your rig from that base. lots of options for you. buy a jk sport or just get it over with and save up to buy a rubicon jku and add stuff as you can afford it being that you'll be working 6 jobs in one week for the goodies. JEEP. just empty every pocket. welcome to our world and enjoy. good luck.

· Registered
322 Posts
X2 on RK.. and X2 on buying a 2wd. No sense in paying for parts you plan on replacing anyways. I'm currently working on converting my 2007 JKU. Welcome aboard!

Sent from my SHG-M919 using Tapatalk 4 beta

· Registered
173 Posts
We'd like a little more info from you to help us with answers, like what part of the country are you from (so we know what type of roads you'd be driving on mostly). Are you planing on just camping/hunting? Also with either 2.5 lift a 33 may look a little small with that lift unless you keep your stock fenders. I love my RK 2.5 max. lift, like my Fox's (non-adjustable) their better off road than on but most of that I think is due to the D load range tire than the shocks.
Btw welcome,
Mike

· Premium Member
1,452 Posts
BB 2.5

I have the Tera-Flex 2.5" BB Lift on my 2008 Rubicon for 5 years now. I have 98K on it. My wife and I put that lift on it in our driveway 2 weeks after we purchased the jeep. We were able to install it in an afternoon and take it out offroading on Sunday. I have the factory shocks and have not had any problems with the lift or the shocks. Of course there are advantages to new shocks, but everything is an option and $$$. I've been running 205/70R17 Goodyear MTR's I'm getting ready to put some 35/12.50 MTR's on it now.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
One thing that's been done before if you're on a strict budget is to buy a two wheel drive model and then start building your rig from that base.
and X2 on buying a 2wd
I have a 99 4runner that's 2wd and it's built exactly the way I want... but I want to upgrade to a 4wd.

We'd like a little more info from you to help us with answers, like what part of the country are you from (so we know what type of roads you'd be driving on mostly). Are you planing on just camping/hunting? Also with either 2.5 lift a 33 may look a little small with that lift unless you keep your stock fenders. I love my RK 2.5 max. lift, like my Fox's (non-adjustable) their better off road than on but most of that I think is due to the D load range tire than the shocks.
Btw welcome,
Mike
I'm from NC, but I'm moving to the appalachian mountains in the fall. Not really sure what it's like there most of the time, but from the minute amount of snow and ice we get here in Charlotte, I can tell I'll want a 4wd for when I'm in the mountains. (Spun out and almost crashed a few times last winter) I'll mostly be camping. Maybe some trail riding. I was thinking about a 35" tire but I thought that a 33" would do better on the road, since that's mostly what I'll be doing.

· Registered
322 Posts
I have a 99 4runner that's 2wd and it's built exactly the way I want... but I want to upgrade to a 4wd.

I'm from NC, but I'm moving to the appalachian mountains in the fall. Not really sure what it's like there most of the time, but from the minute amount of snow and ice we get here in Charlotte, I can tell I'll want a 4wd for when I'm in the mountains. (Spun out and almost crashed a few times last winter) I'll mostly be camping and hunting. Maybe some trail riding. I was thinking about a 35" tire but I thought that a 33" would do better on the road, since that's mostly what I'll be doing.

2wd to 4wd is a rediculously easy swap on the JKU. Several on here have done it.

· Official Monkey Business
12,216 Posts

· The Wheelin Man's Friend
8,661 Posts
Jason @ Trail Concepts is right on the money with his advice.

The budget boost is another good option that won't break the bank.

Swapping from 2WD to 4WD will cost a lot of cash out of pocket. It is doable if you have expendable income, but you'll need a couple thousand or more laying around. If you're on a budget just keep things simple and buy what you want up front. :)

Marcus

· Registered
1,260 Posts

Swapping from 2WD to 4WD will cost a lot of cash out of pocket. It is doable if you have expendable income, but you'll need a couple thousand or more laying around. If you're on a budget just keep things simple and buy what you want up front. :)

Marcus
Agreed

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Marcus
That's the thing; I don't have a ton of cash. So I don't know if I need the max travel system or if I can go with something a little less expensive. If that's the bes way to go, though, I'd rather do it right the first time. I think I'm pretty much fixed on buying a 4wd up front, since that's what seems to be easier to find. (Especially if I get the rubicon as others have suggested).

· Premium Member
1,289 Posts
You are going to get a ton of different opinions. IMHO, you need to go for a drive with someone that has the Jeep built like you are considering. They all look good on paper. One lift height to the next with little changes are all going to ride different.

Since you are looking in that 2.5" range and 33's or 35's, I see no reason to build from base 2wd model and build it up as you can afford. Building a higher end Crawler, it makes sense to start with a cheaper Jeep since you will be replacing most parts. In your case, try to find a Rubicon (new or used) that's fits your budgett. If you end up with a 2012 or newer and get 410 gearing, you're set for up to 35" tires. 2011 and older Rubicon models with 33's still run just fine without gearing, but do run a bit slower. Gearing is prefered on the older models, but you can get buy. Drive both a newer 2012 and an older model and wee what motor/ trans fits your build.

I have driven JK's with both suspension kits you are looking at. They both ride great. The 5100's are what I have ran on my last two JK's. They are a good shock and have been reliable for me. Don't rule others out yet either. once you ride in different rigs, your opinion will change from one to the next on ride quality.

If you are buying a used JK, don;t forget to set money on the side for any maint or reconditioning that may need to be done. nothing worse than picking up a Jeep and than finding out your mod funds need to be used on fixing current issues first.

I'm not sure where you are located, but post your location up. I'm sure someone will offer up their info to take you for a ride.

· Registered
1,368 Posts
Here's my take. If you are on a strict budget, you are never going to be able to get "the best". Then again, you probably don't need "the best" either. Jeeps are super capable and you will be more than surprised at what they can do.

A Rubicon is a great choice, but consider how likely you are to need front and rear lockers. These JK's have a lot of nice electronics that prevent wheels from spinning when they lose traction so even without lockers they are more capable than older vehicles. For me I couldn't justify an additional $3-4k pricetag for lockers and a larger front axle.

For suspension, the cheap route which is also still capable is to get a budget boost (spring spacers mostly) and move up in tire size. That will give you the look you are after and still be pretty good on trails. They also include shock spacers so you can reuse your factory shocks. Rough Country makes the most complete kit for under $200.

You didn't say if you want a 2 door or 4 door, but an option if you want a 2 door is to get some take off Rubicon springs/shocks off a 4 door for about a 1-1.5" lift. The ride is a bit stiffer but that is what I am running it's not bad at all. Cost is around $150 for the springs and shocks used.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Thanks for the advice, everybody. I'll try to test drive some different model Jeeps and see what works best for me. Also, I'll update my profile with my location. I'm really looking at a 2 door. Also, would I need the max travel setup from RK or could I get away with the stock mod system?
Thanks

· Registered
173 Posts
If I'd do it all over again I would buy a Rubi as it's a great starting point, and it'll about anything you'd need it to do. I went with an X thinking I'd build it up but life happens and it's not going as fast as I like. The great thing about RK lifts are they are upgradeable so you can start with the stock mod and put arms on later.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.