JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm new here. I just bought my first jeep, 2014 wrangler unlimited sahara white, and I'm loving it. I have to hide my wallet to keep from draining my bank account from ordering parts and accessories lol. Anyhow I'm looking to install LED strip lights under the dash for the front footwells, under the front seats for the rear foot Wheels, in the rear cargo area, and underneath on the driver and passenger sides for lighting the ground. I want it all to come on whenever the dome light is on. So whenever I hit the unlock on the remote or whenever the door is opened or whenever I manually turn it on from the switch on the steering column. I was planning on running a fuse tap in the fuse box to power relay that will switch the lights. I found the yellow wire with white stripe in the passenger footwell behind the plastic guard. What I have read is that this wire controls the dome light. When I put my meter from that one to negative I am reading any where from 4.5 to 12 volts. My question for you guys is what size relay should I get that will properly switch these lights from that dome light circuit? Or should I use a different wire? I was about to get a standard 12 volt relay but I doubt I can use that since this wire has some really odd voltages. I Already have all my other supplies needed with the exception of this relay.
Forgive me if this question has been asked and answered in this forum before. I tried doing my research but I just wasn't able to come up with anything specific. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,098 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Yeah search for it. I believe it is orange with gray stripe or gray with orange stripe. That is the dimmer one. I would highly suggest tapping into the dimmable wire. I put 2 squares with 4 leds in each footwell and those things are crazy bright. I have to always keep the dim on the lowest setting. With it being the dimamble wire as well, they come on with the headlights as well.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thanks, I'll search for it. I went with these led strip lights instead because they have the 5050 smd LED instead of the standard 3528 smd, which is not as bright as the 5050. And they have more even light spread.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts