JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So now that the LS3 swap is done I can move on to the new cage. I have no intention of doing this myself just due to the time constraints. SO in looking around there was really only one guy in Phoenix that does the craziest cages, and that is Hunter Offroad. John is an artist with tube work.

Here is another cage he did recently on an LJ.

The plan is as follows:

Third row seating - I have 4 kids
New fully intergrated cage, through the dash
Cage over the third row
Coilovers
Custom full extension drawer under third row for tools
New air system to replace the CO2 I wont have space for (Probably 2-3 ARB Dual compressors or an Oasis if I can fit it.)
Custom soft top

The plan is that the new cage will go over the third row. I am doing a custom soft top to allow the rear window to be more vertical, so that I can get an additional 3-5 inches of legroom in the third row.

Here it is when I dropped it off, and when he pulled the stock stuff out.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Definitely want to follow this one. I am following your same track. Working on the V8 swap now, but will be doing a cage to protect my kids shortly thereafter. Good luck with the cage build and keep the pics flowing.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Slowly but surely it is coming along. The shop has had a few other projects they needed to do before mine, which is fine.

You can see the sweet plates for the D. Pillars

This shows how we are moving the rear of the cage back to give some extra room for the third row.

·
Premium Member
3,720 Posts
Slowly but surely it is coming along. The shop has had a few other projects they needed to do before mine, which is fine.

You can see the sweet plates for the D. Pillars

really like that plate for the rear. Great idea

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A few more pics of the progress.

The main thind that I wanted in this was increased height for headroom. Most of the aftermarket cages are designed to run with hard tops. Since I will only be ever running a soft top, there is a lot of extra headroom you can get by putting the crosspieces up higher.

B-Pillar tie ins.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Nice, been looking forward to your updates on the cage, looks like its turning out great! Is the plan to stop at the plates, or will there be plates on the bottom and stringers tied into the frame as well? A,B,C pillars using plates at floor as well or cutting through the floor to get to the frame?

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Looks good, but will the top bows clear that back corner? I ran into some clearance issues there as I was building my cage.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks good, but will the top bows clear that back corner? I ran into some clearance issues there as I was building my cage.
I am doing a custom top. I wanted the third row to have as much space as possible so the best way was to make a new soft top.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Hunter is really doing a nice job for you.
Never been down there.
But may have to stop in next time I need some work done.

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,956 Posts
John did the cage is Mike's white TJ and it turned out killer, I would definitely like to have him give my Jeep the full treatment.

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,956 Posts
I am doing a custom top. I wanted the third row to have as much space as possible so the best way was to make a new soft top.
Just do a buggy style aluminum skin and call it good. :D

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Very nice. Was just trying to help prevent an oh shit moment!
Thanks. I see you are from Chardon. My uncle lives there and I was there over Christmas.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Following. Just had our third son last October and need to expand my seating options. Also, what are you using for the third row? The Teraflex brackets and a 2-dr rear bench?

1 - 20 of 94 Posts