JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally got rid of the white body shocks....

After putting on a set on my Expy I knew I had to have a set for the JK. Here's a couple more pix. Now just gotta scrounge up some duckets for the little billet clamps. BTW: These things ride great. Gonna take it out this weekend and hopefully test out da shocks on the trails since the kids have been buggin' about wheelin'......

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
I KNOW this has got to be a stupid question...but what in the world is that thing attached to your rear diff housing? I know it should be obvious to me but ? Those shocks look great. You need the 2.0 Fox stabilizer to complete the look...oh... "da look".

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I KNOW this has got to be a stupid question...but what in the world is that thing attached to your rear diff housing? I know it should be obvious to me but ? Those shocks look great. You need the 2.0 Fox stabilizer to complete the look...oh... "da look".
That's a brace that came with the Skyjacker kit. I guess there were some issues in past about the rear track bar mounts breaking off so they added a brace for it. Kinda leaning towards the BDS dual stabilizer kit right now and don't know if I'll be able to fit 2 Fox stabilizers. BTW: updated "da" spelling since I've been getting a lot of spelling responses. Are you familiar with "DA KINE" product from Hawaii?:thefinger:

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
yup...Check mate! just bustin chops...

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
They look pretty sweet, what is the overall travel on the setup? Also did you check out Poly's brackets for the trackbars? There are a few nicely designed brackets to resolve the issue you've mentioned. It's a criteria on the lift that I'm selecting.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
They look pretty sweet, what is the overall travel on the setup?
They have 10.5" of travel which works great with 3-4.5" of lift.

Jeep Wrangler JK Front - 980-99-382-A - Ext: 27.28" Col: 16.78"
Jeep Wrangler JK Rear - 980-99-383-A - Ext: 27.59" Col: 17.09"

I can't tell from the pics, are those CD adjustables or non adjustable?

I have the adjustables and love them. The ability to adjust them makes them much more flexible

FWIW I had some issues with the front tires catching the reservoirs when flexed at the front. I have 4.75" BS rims and they will catch the reservoirs and mess them up when wheeling. I installed some 1.5" spacers that cured the problem, but some rims with 3.5" - 4" BS will likely work fine.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you don't need dual stabilizers.
Why not? Steering is not what I am used to. Would like to get further info...

They have 10.5" of travel which works great with 3-4.5" of lift.

Jeep Wrangler JK Front - 980-99-382-A - Ext: 27.28" Col: 16.78"
Jeep Wrangler JK Rear - 980-99-383-A - Ext: 27.59" Col: 17.09"

I can't tell from the pics, are those CD adjustables or non adjustable?

I have the adjustables and love them. The ability to adjust them makes them much more flexible

FWIW I had some issues with the front tires catching the reservoirs when flexed at the front. I have 4.75" BS rims and they will catch the reservoirs and mess them up when wheeling. I installed some 1.5" spacers that cured the problem, but some rims with 3.5" - 4" BS will likely work fine.
Thanks Phil! The ones I have are the non adjustable ones. The set that I have on are actually from the Pro Comp Kit which accomodates 4-6 inch lift, according to Fox. Been doing some research on how the resovoirs can be mounted so that they are out of the way during flex. Once I can afford the billet clamps I think I will mount them more to the side closer to the frame.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Once I can afford the billet clamps I think I will mount them more to the side closer to the frame.
You have the latest version of the front shocks, with the body/reservoir on top, they changed them twice as they had clearance issues, but you just need to watch for clearance when flexed the wheels are stuffed and rotated to full lock.

I have the Mk 2 version, body/reservoir down on a 6" flex hose, the Mk 1 version used a fixed short 90° connector. The problem that happens is that if the tires catch the reservoir, the reservoir may either be rotated outward or pushed inward. If it gets pushed inward then on the compression cycle it will catch on the brake hose bracket and potentially cause damage to the shock.

With low enough backspacing on the rims it is not an issues. I moved the brake hose brackets out of the way so they were no longer a problem, but ultimately had to install some spacers to keep the tires off the resrvoirs.

As far as i understand the shocks are for 3-4.5" of lift. I know Fox say 4-6", but I think that was due to all the problems they had with the reservoirs initially. With 5.25" of lift at the front, my shocks are about 1/2" from fully extended at full droop. With 6" of lift you would be using the shock as the limiting factor and I'd personally prefer not to do that, although many do.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I have the adjustable models and they are great. I have them on "1" right now for the daily drive, and they are great. Good investment. I second the "dual steering stabalizer" you dont need it. Get a FOX 2.0 and call it good.

A

·
0 Posts
I have the adjustable models and they are great. I have them on "1" right now for the daily drive, and they are great. Good investment. I second the "dual steering stabalizer" you dont need it. Get a FOX 2.0 and call it good.
X2 on the above, I have the same.

I set mine on 7 to start with :eek: and it was a little bone shaking :shaking: Now they are on 2 :D I jack them up to 4 on some wheeling trips like Moab.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You have the latest version of the front shocks, with the body/reservoir on top, they changed them twice as they had clearance issues, but you just need to watch for clearance when flexed the wheels are stuffed and rotated to full lock.

I have the Mk 2 version, body/reservoir down on a 6" flex hose, the Mk 1 version used a fixed short 90° connector. The problem that happens is that if the tires catch the reservoir, the reservoir may either be rotated outward or pushed inward. If it gets pushed inward then on the compression cycle it will catch on the brake hose bracket and potentially cause damage to the shock.

With low enough backspacing on the rims it is not an issues. I moved the brake hose brackets out of the way so they were no longer a problem, but ultimately had to install some spacers to keep the tires off the resrvoirs.

As far as i understand the shocks are for 3-4.5" of lift. I know Fox say 4-6", but I think that was due to all the problems they had with the reservoirs initially. With 5.25" of lift at the front, my shocks are about 1/2" from fully extended at full droop. With 6" of lift you would be using the shock as the limiting factor and I'd personally prefer not to do that, although many do.
Thanks. Great info. Definitely gonna keep this in mind as I take it out to the trails and relocate the reservoirs.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
I set mine on 7 to start with :eek: and it was a little bone shaking :shaking: Now they are on 2 :D I jack them up to 4 on some wheeling trips like Moab.
I started low on the road, but have increased them. I now run at 5 and although they are a little firm over potholes/bumps/etc, I find the ride to better on the highway with less wallowing and wandering.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I just saw there new 2.5 shocks for 880 for a set of four.

Still to much for me at this point in life. But awesome shocks from the reviews and nice looking too.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Nice shocks but I would have those reservoirs trashed after one run through the box!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I just saw there new 2.5 shocks for 880 for a set of four.

Still to much for me at this point in life. But awesome shocks from the reviews and nice looking too.
I've been all over the site and have not seen them yet. Nice price however for the 2.5 shocks. Throw in free shipping and I'll get one of these sets NP.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Makes them just a little more expensive than the 2.0 reservoir shocks, but if you are going to spend that money on shocks, spending the extra form CD adjustable ones is well worth it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts