JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi y’all,
First post on here so my apologies if this is the wrong section or anything.
I have a ‘07 JK 2dr that had been throwing a p0430 code for about a year until I finally had the time with this virus to actually swap the cats. My buddy is throwing in an LS in his so he won’t be able to use his old cats, so we ripped them out of his and put them on mine.
His wasn’t throwing any codes and they looked fine- upon visual inspection of mine there was a massive hole in one in the honeycomb with a ton of metal shavings all up in there.
We cleared the codes after the swap and everything was fine, but low and behold the light came back on, p0430 bank 2 under efficiency, after about 50 miles.
Did his suddenly break when we threw them on mine? Is there something wrong with my engine? Do I really need to buy a brand new y-pipe and if so, what brand/manufacturer do you suggest?

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
Can you post up pics of the bad cat? Metal bits, doesn't sound good for your engine...

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
I'd do a complete scan using a tool like Bluedriver. Might be other codes pending.

Could be bad o2 sensors...

If no other clear issues, then I'd check the plugs, maybe run a borescope in the cylinders through the spark plug holes. Or just take it to a mechanic.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd do a complete scan using a tool like Bluedriver. Might be other codes pending.

Could be bad o2 sensors...

If no other clear issues, then I'd check the plugs, maybe run a borescope in the cylinders through the spark plug holes. Or just take it to a mechanic.

We did a scan and P0430 was the only problem code. No o2 sensors issues, infact one came up right after we swapped but we fixed that one immediately.
I’ll take it to a mechanic if that’s my last option, just really trying to fix what I can before I bite the bullet on those costs.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Couple of thoughts, before buying new cats:
1. Are you sure that the "new to you" cats are seated properly on the manifolds? No air leaks.
2. It is possible that the shaking during the uninstall and reinstall may have broken up something inside the donor cats.
3. Are the old O2 sensors clogged? Was the bad sensor on bank 2 (driver side)?
4. Did you try to clear out the memory (capacitor discharge) so the comp needs to relearn the curves?
5. Does your scanner allow you to see the voltage inputs while running? If so, are both sides even +- or is one showing numbers out of the ballpark.

·
Banned
702 Posts
A quick internet search would lead you to the following:

And a quick search here shows the following links:

And the following link show the search term I used:

All of which for the most part repeat what @rockystock and @BLAKJAK stated. So what I'm saying here is try searching for your issue first. Then if you still have your issue, post up exactly as you have and include exactly what you've searched for along with what you've tried. This truly helps everyone to help you.

In addition, if you're going to stick around then post up a new thread in the Welcome Room introducing yourself. This gives us the opportunity to welcome you to this madness.

Good luck... ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts