JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aussie Locker announces the availability of the XD13227 Dana 30 Aussie Locker for JK front diffs. The XD13227 is based on the very successful Dana 30 Aussie Locker and is in stock at www.aussielocker.com.

Aussie Lockers have a solid reputation for exceptional performance both on and off road.

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
I have been running the Aussie locker in my D30 for almost a year now. I was using the XD-13027 model.

Here is my install
http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1906

What are the specific differences between the JK specific model and the d30 model I am running?

When I installed it, some of the gaps where out of spec. After talking to a Aussie tech I found it was because of the concave shape and extra thickness of the JK thrust washers. It set the locker up a little tighter then spec but due to the give of the concave shape it still works fine. The tech mentioned Aussie may start includding replacemnet thrust washers for the JK. Is this the only difference?

BTW, welcome to the forum! We are glad to have you guys here.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been running the Aussie locker in my D30 for almost a year now. I was using the XD-13027 model.

Here is my install
http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1906

What are the specific differences between the JK specific model and the d30 model I am running?

When I installed it, some of the gaps where out of spec. After talking to a Aussie tech I found it was because of the concave shape and extra thickness of the JK thrust washers. It set the locker up a little tighter then spec but due to the give of the concave shape it still works fine. The tech mentioned Aussie may start includding replacemnet thrust washers for the JK. Is this the only difference?

BTW, welcome to the forum! We are glad to have you guys here.
The "crush washer" used in the JK Dana 30 differential is not appropriate for a locker installation. The "give" in the washer causes the locker to lose symmetry and as you noted the spacings are outside of the specifications for proper operation and long term reliability. An XD13027 installed using the concave washer and outside the specifications as called out in the manual would not be covered under the warranty should the owner experience a problem caused by this installation.

The Aussie Locker XD13227 is designed to properly fit in the Dana 30 JK differential, have the proper spacing and as a result maintain the design symmetry necessary for the proper operation, long term reliability and full warranty coverage.

We appreciate the welcome to the site and we will do our best to respond to questions here or at [email protected]

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
So it sonds like the main difference is the thrust washer.

Am I able to order just the new thrust washers now that they are available?

·
Registered
520 Posts
can't find a price...

·
Registered
479 Posts
Holy crap-I'm in need of some edumacation. They still put D30's in some of the 07-09 wranglars? I thought they were all second generation heavy duty D44's.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Holy crap-I'm in need of some edumacation. They still put D30's in some of the 07-09 wranglars? I thought they were all second generation heavy duty D44's.
2007- MOST got a D44 rear, D30 front. A few got a D35 rear though
2008- D44 rear, D30 front
2009- D44 rear, D30 front

Obviously the Rubicon has D44 front and rear.

·
Registered
479 Posts
2007- MOST got a D44 rear, D30 front. A few got a D35 rear though
2008- D44 rear, D30 front
2009- D44 rear, D30 front

Obviously the Rubicon has D44 front and rear.
Thanks for the info. So Rubicon model 2007-2009 has D44's front & rear?

·
Registered
962 Posts
So it sonds like the main difference is the thrust washer.

Am I able to order just the new thrust washers now that they are available?
x2 on that, I have one as well, my measurements were the same as Scott's. Can we get new washers separate?

·
Registered
520 Posts
does this affect daily driving at all?

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
does this affect daily driving at all?
only slightly. Most of the time it is invisible. When you are in 2wd, you only will notice it when you are turning very sharply. Like when you are turning into a parking spot. It will kind of "click". I actually switched to 140 gear oil and now I can't even really here it then.

Otherwise it is invisible

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
only slightly. Most of the time it is invisible. When you are in 2wd, you only will notice it when you are turning very sharply. Like when you are turning into a parking spot. It will kind of "click". I actually switched to 140 gear oil and now I can't even really here it then.

Otherwise it is invisible
But its really smart enough to lock up out on the trail? I ask, because its a tone cheaper than an ARB or an OX...

would it be advisable to put one in each axle?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Will there be a JK D44 version of the Aussie Locker available anytime soon?

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
They do not make one for the rear axle. They have sent one to Australia for R&D so hopefully we will see one soon.

They are certainly not as nice as a OX or ARB. A selectable locker is for sure the way to go...if it is in the budget. That is why I got the Aussie. It is FAR cheaper and works really well. It is tuff. It does lock up. When in 4x4 it is just as locked as anything else.

It has never slipped on me, however, I do have it set up on the tight side. With the new thrust washers included with the JK specific model I would expect you would get less of that "clicking" when turning sharp. They do pretty good R&D so I would be surprised if it slipped at all with the new washers

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
But its really smart enough to lock up out on the trail? I ask, because its a tone cheaper than an ARB or an OX...

I have a front Aussie. Pretty much invisible on the street. But I bet the rear would not be as invisible.

If you read the Aussie website, it says that they only lock up when there is torque being applies. Obviously in 2wd, there is no torque being applied to the front wheels, so it doesn't lock. The rear however is going to have torque applied at all times. That is why I went Aussie in the front, and selectable (OX) in the rear.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Yea!:bounce: I have talked you you guys a few times awaiting the release. Should be getting a call from next week!

·
Registered
962 Posts

Put an auto in the front and selectable in the rear. If you ever get locked up somwhere, just unlock the back and roll out. The ability to unlock the drivetrain from the seat is great. Auto's front and rear would be a real hand full on a technical trail.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I would expect you would get less of that "clicking" when turning sharp. They do pretty good R&D so I would be surprised if it slipped at all with the new washers
More or less clicking? I would think more, since you and I are set so tight we get a kinda "bind click bind click" in a tight turn. I know EXACTLY what that feels like. Rocks the Jeep a bit, right Scott;) Wouldn't a looser setup allow more clicking (sliding teeth-click click click click)? Slipping in a tight turn in 2WD is good.

Anyways, I haven't had a lick of trouble out of mine. If it craps out I'll get the one that they suggest. I'd sure like to know the difference between the two..........wonder if they'd sell an upgrade kit to those of us that supported the product, knowing it may not work???

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
The "clicking" is the locker unlocking. You saw how it is designed when you installed it so you know what is going on inside. When it is setup looser, it unocks easier so the clicks are too faint to detect so you don't realize it is even happening. I had one in my XJ. It was not nearly as noticeable as it is in the JK. That "cupped" thrust washer or "crush" washer as Aussie called it is just barely letting it open.

BTW, put some 140 gear oil in the front. I was amazed how much it made that go away. The cicking does not bother me. I just wanted to have the same oil front and rear. I park in a parking garage Downtown Denver everyday so it is really amplified. I almost completely disappeard :beer:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts