JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '10 2 door Sport. It has been broken into 2 times in the past few months and I will be buying myself an alarm for an xmas present. I am looking at quite a few different alarms. So I am reaching out to the JKO community to find some people with hands on experience to help me choose one. I dont have power locks/windows and in the summer time the top and doors stay off most of the time. Something with proximity detection is a must. I am a DIY kind of guy and have a few friends that have installed alarms in other vehicles just never a Jeep. I have read on sites that some vehicles need an additional module like Xpresskit or something to go along with the alarms. I am currently looking at these 2 as my top choices:

1. http://www.amazon.com/Viper-5901-Feature-Alarm-Remote/dp/B0044FMBP4/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1323151001&sr=1-3
2. http://www.amazon.com/350-Responder-Security-Keyless-4-Button/dp/B00445TG52/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1323154851&sr=8-2

The proximity detection is an add on available for both of those. Remote start would be nice to have during the winter months but is not necessary. Does anyone have any experience with these? Is there something else you would recommend? If you installed it yourself did you need an extra control module?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
496 Posts
Proxy sensor can be a bitch to set up. If you get alarm get a 2 way that way if it goes off it will tell you what is sensor is going off.

If you have a hard top get glass break sensor as well

If you have a soft top you pretty much can only use the proxy. Most places only warranty the unit if they install it. Atleast that is how compustar.

as far as brands go, I say go with a unit that is not DEI (viper,phython, cliffor etc.) I prefer compustar units by far.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I had a Clifford system with proximity sensor in my last Jeep (2006 LJ Rubicon) and I have to warn its more trouble than its worth. You're going to get more false alarms and people just love to mess with it. Sometimes, depending on temperature, top on or off, the sensor would go off if someone was simply walking next to the Jeep, sometimes it wouldn't go off at all. and if you have a soft top, the material moving with the wind will set it off too.

I would suggest going to the simple approach and just laying it all out there for would-be thieves to see. Swap to the clear windows (if applicable) and leave your glove box and center console wide open when parked. Don't keep anything of value inside and start carrying your registration and insurance in your wallet or under the rear storage compartment.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.