JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally pulled the trigger - picked up a black on black '13 JK Wrangler - had it for about a month now, total sh*t eating grin on my face - BIG step up from many years of conservative Honda driving.

I love it, amazing and unique vehicle - I'm a convert for life - and definitely happy I chose this over a Patriot or Compass, yeah the 18.1 MPG hurts especially coming from a rice burner, but it's worth it for the North GA scenery.

Couple of things I have noticed - not problems, just observations:

- The top was kinda hard to figure out, not getting it down - getting it back up seemed very stiff - I assume this changes with time. For now it's been down because the weather has been perfect. I did notice the frame is chaffing the rollbar pads over the rear windows - the scuffs do come out with a little spit and rubbing. The dealer was helpful with my top 'lesson' but it was really trial and error - getting more confident with it, although last time it looked a little askew when I had it up.

The driver seat creaks a bit, this is recent especially in corners - you can really only hear it when the top is up - slightly annoying for a new car but livable. Any ideas?

The drivers side airbag
underframe is noticeable through the dash, like you can see a pretty distinct outline of it - is this normal, again no huge deal - just looks like the dash plastic has melted around it after sitting on a lot for months in this GA heat.

Sirius Radio/Bluetooth - love it, but I have yet to crack the manual on these, just learning about the advantages of hands-free. I really like satellite radio but is it just me or does 'streaming' music sound like low-quality MP3's really in the high ranges like cymbals.

Bugs, I have never owned a vehicle that has taken a pounding like this one has from bugs - is it the angle, it's height? I know tis the season but it's a daily battle - any deflectors worth looking @?

So @ roughly just under 3K in miles those are my thoughts, I am still 1000% percent on this thing - I'm usually someone who shuns daylight, this thing has converted me - it's a great battery recharge.

oh and my lady friends love it.

Anywho, I think I'm going to go stock for @ least a year to get to know the vehicle then look @ off-road mods - until then basic upgrades like security items first would be important since I have business in Atlanta.

I did get the wheel locks, any suggestions for gas cap, hood and doors?
Also I have the standard security package - but damn a motion sensor would be great for people poking around without opening a door.

Photos to come - I will scan the window sticker as well, it's the Sport but with all of the goodies/rear axle etc.

·
Registered
330 Posts
The top should be easier to put back up when it's warm. The material will be more stiff in colder temperatures.

Sirius/XM does have a lot of compression on some channels making it sound like an MP3 from 2000.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Congrats.

On the top, it will only be a matter of time and you'll have it up/down in a few minutes. As mentioned it's easier when its warm out.

Everything else you described is normal, excepting the creaky seat. Depending on your personality type you might be able to ignore it, if it drives you batshit then take it to the dealer and have them fix it. I personally go nuts over creaky seats even though other noises don't bother me.

Satellite radio is not of high quality audio. I'd describe it as passable but nowhere near CD quality as not as good as local compression formats like MP4. I suspect it has to be compressed so heavily that the decompression algorithm can't restore some of the nuances. I often notice percussive high frequencies (such as cymbals like you mentioned) are out of phase on satellite transmissions. For those non-audiophiles this basically sounds like the high frequencies are under water a bit. But I'm an audio freak.

Have fun with the Jeep.

·
Registered
52 Posts
They are a blast for a daily driver....congrats on your purchase....

Don't ever, ever keep anything in a jeep....ever......keep the doors unlocked and the jeep clean and clear of anything on the interior......don't give anyone a reason to cut your top and try to use a screwdriver on your door, too many idiots out there.....don't give anyone a reason to ever get in it....

·
Registered
351 Posts
Finally pulled the trigger - picked up a black on black '13 JK Wrangler - had it for about a month now, total sh*t eating grin on my face - BIG step up from many years of conservative Honda driving.

I love it, amazing and unique vehicle - I'm a convert for life - and definitely happy I chose this over a Patriot or Compass, yeah the 18.1 MPG hurts especially coming from a rice burner, but it's worth it for the North GA scenery.

Couple of things I have noticed - not problems, just observations:

- The top was kinda hard to figure out, not getting it down - getting it back up seemed very stiff - I assume this changes with time. For now it's been down because the weather has been perfect. I did notice the frame is chaffing the rollbar pads over the rear windows - the scuffs do come out with a little spit and rubbing. The dealer was helpful with my top 'lesson' but it was really trial and error - getting more confident with it, although last time it looked a little askew when I had it up.

The driver seat creaks a bit, this is recent especially in corners - you can really only hear it when the top is up - slightly annoying for a new car but livable. Any ideas?

The drivers side airbag
underframe is noticeable through the dash, like you can see a pretty distinct outline of it - is this normal, again no huge deal - just looks like the dash plastic has melted around it after sitting on a lot for months in this GA heat.

Sirius Radio/Bluetooth - love it, but I have yet to crack the manual on these, just learning about the advantages of hands-free. I really like satellite radio but is it just me or does 'streaming' music sound like low-quality MP3's really in the high ranges like cymbals.

Bugs, I have never owned a vehicle that has taken a pounding like this one has from bugs - is it the angle, it's height? I know tis the season but it's a daily battle - any deflectors worth looking @?

So @ roughly just under 3K in miles those are my thoughts, I am still 1000% percent on this thing - I'm usually someone who shuns daylight, this thing has converted me - it's a great battery recharge.

oh and my lady friends love it.

Anywho, I think I'm going to go stock for @ least a year to get to know the vehicle then look @ off-road mods - until then basic upgrades like security items first would be important since I have business in Atlanta.

I did get the wheel locks, any suggestions for gas cap, hood and doors?
Also I have the standard security package - but damn a motion sensor would be great for people poking around without opening a door.

Photos to come - I will scan the window sticker as well, it's the Sport but with all of the goodies/rear axle etc.

Congrats on the Jeep...

...and save your money for windshield repairs, you'll be doing them at least once per year. :beer:

·
Registered
2 door 2010 JK sport
913 Posts
I have the mopar one. Is okay at best. I still get the bug splattered window, however if I keep things to 100/60 on the highway, the bugs are usually just on the upper half/third of the window.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts