JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my first post shouln't be a compliant about our new rig...but I've searched and no success on it yet.

We just purchased this past weekend a new 2013 JKU, and getting underneath it to get familiar - as I've always been a Land Cruiser guy....

There is so much unpainted surfaces on the axles, knuckles and undercarriage - it's already surface rusting.

Is it typical to see bare metal around the nuckle housings, axle tube and differnentials? Really poor QC work I'm guessing - as I'm going to take it back to Jeep on Weds and ask them to do a quick- paint touch up on the undercarriage - it's really noteworthy.

Thoughts, ideas??

· Registered
109 Posts
what state are you in? i believe that might have a little something to do with it.. if you live near the ocean, but i would go ahead and get some good quality rattle can and undercoat the belly.. and putting a fresh coat on the axle housing wont hurt at all. This will also help when you go to clean it up after a offroading trip.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm in Colorado...truck has less than 100 miles on it - the Dana front axle is the rusty one. I know the driveshafts are going to rust...as there is no coating on them at all.

I'm thinking POR15 on the undercarriage - as I have it on my FJ's... Just can't get over it that the assembly plant neglected so many areas of bare metal on the frame and suspension bits too. I'll post up a pic when I get home from work.

Not complaining...just curious if its a common complaint.

· Registered
6,203 Posts
Unfortunately it is pretty common and everybody just either handles it themselves or chocks it up to "it's a jeep thing" lol. The Dana axles aren't painted that well compared to some other vehicles I see.

If it is really bad you might be able to get them to do something. Otherwise you are probably on your own.

· Registered
132 Posts
Just wait. I have an 07 and my lower windshield brackets are rusting in a couple areas on both of them. They didn't paint the back side or bottom of them, and since I live right on the coast they are rusting.

I basically hit everything with por15 now. I always get aluminum if I can, or bare steel to por15 before powder coating. Its a bitch.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.