JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into getting my first hand gun (forums here have been helpful), so my brother and I went to an outdoor range today so that he could show me the ropes on a Glock 19. I don't know much about ranges as this is the first one I've been to in maybe 20 years, but at one point after we had just arrived I think to myself "so this is all it takes to start a range, huh?" Things seemed to be a little sloppy / not well kept, but overall nothing obviously unsafe about the facility. There aren't many of us out there, maybe 5-7 shooters max at any given point. Better for me anyway as my brother and I stop frequently to talk about mechanics, basic safety / common sense, etc. The range officer is a nice enough guy and (again from my noob perspective) seems to be on top of things. My brother would later mention that he should have been actively moving up and down the range checking on things instead of barking orders from a bench in the back while smoking and eating bbq.

Anyhow, we go through about 150-200 rounds, enough for me to start to get an understanding of the basics. We decide that's enough for day 1 and start to head out. We stop by the front desk, about 25 yards away, so that my brother can show me what to buy as far as cleaning tools. He's going to loan me his Glock 19 so that I can learn how to take it apart and clean it. On the weekends, I'll shoot with him. When I'm I'm comfortable on my own, I'll return it.

After he shows me what to buy later at Wal-Mart, we head back out to the parking lot to make the exchange- and we hear screams. Very loud and distinct. Two, maybe three men. Chaotic. My brother and I exchange glances, not sure what to think. In a raised, hurried voice he tells me to call 911, right now.

Seconds later, the range officer (older fellow), comes hobbling into view, points in our general direction and yells "TELL 'EM TO CALL 911!". Two more guys come into view, one of them has both hands grasping his stomach like he's feeling sick.

I open the door, and tell the 2 guys and one older lady behind the counter (owners?) that there's been an accidental shooting and they need to call 911 (my phone is in the Jeep). They hesitate more than I would think I would in the same position, and one asks me if I'm serious. I tell them their buddy the range officer is yelling for it and is right outside the door, walking this way.

By the time one of these owners finally gets on the phone, my brother is already deep in conversation with 911 and is describing the scene as it's unfolding. The range officer, guy holding his stomach, and guy's buddy come up to the front. Guy's buddy says "HOLY FUCK MAN, I'M SO FUCKING SORRY! I THOUGHT IT WAS UNLOADED".

Looking at the scene, at first I thought maybe he got hit with a recoil somehow and the wind got knocked out of him. Then I thought maybe there was an argument and this guy took a punch to the gut.

Turns out, guy holding his stomach had taken a round direct to the gut. I looked at his back- no visible exit wound through his shirt. My brother said he saw blood on the guy's hands. He was still standing and able to walk.

We didn't see exactly what happened, but from what I gather, these two guys may have either been packing their stuff up or potentially reloading or unloading their pistols. At some point, one of these idiots either pointed the pistol at the other, or may have potentially pointed it towards himself. Not sure who the shooter was, but the gun discharged and someone took a direct hit point blank.

The guy who was shot, we had seen earlier on the range. Younger guy, maybe 20s. He was shooting his piece with one hand (yup), so my brother guessed that it was a .380 or maybe even a .22. The range officer said later it was a "one of those piece of shit jennings".

Anyhow, between my brother on 911, the "owner" on 911, the guy moaning and hunched over, his idiot friend in hysterics, and the range officer trying to answer everyone's questions as to what happened, it was a total shit show. These owners seemed to be more interested in arguing amongst themselves then giving a shit about what happened and actually dealing with the situation.

Finally, these two guys decide that they're better off driving to the hospital themselves than waiting for cops or ambulance. They speed off, and we tell 911 what vehicle they're driving so that the cops can help out if / when they see them barreling down the road. We wait for about 20 minutes for the cops to come by anyway (per the 911 dispatch's request), but they never show. By this time, everything was back to normal on the range like it never happened.

Craziest thing that I've seen in a long time. Still can't believe it happened. Honestly, up until the point that my brother said he had actually seen blood, I still wasn't sure that what had seen wasn't a fake. I just can't imagine what kind of idiocy had taken place for that kid to get shot in the gut with his own fucking gun.

Needless to say, the respect I had already had for gun safety has been magnified ten-fold after today. I'm so glad that my brother and I decided to leave when we did. We both have had newborn children in the last year and a stray bullet from these idiots is unbearable to think about.

Safety first. An unloaded gun is a loaded gun. Be careful out there.

· Registered
117 Posts
Once the police report is filed I'd be surprised if that range is still in business. Idiots like that give responsible owners a bad name. Hope that experience doesn't keep you from owning. Find a range you are comfortable with and good luck with your own purchase.

· Registered
101 Posts
The guy who was shot, we had seen earlier on the range. Younger guy, maybe 20s. He was shooting his piece with one hand (yup), so my brother guessed that it was a .380 or maybe even a .22.
Whats that mean? I train constantly shooting one handed. Strong hand and off hand. And thats with all calibers. everything from my pocket .22 all the way up to my .45 and .357mag. Its a pretty serious part of LEO training.

· Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would pick another range to learn at if I were you.
Yup- we already decided to never go back there again. Luckily there are plenty of ranges to pick from, we just decided on this one because it was midway between our homes.

Whats that mean? I train constantly shooting one handed. Strong hand and off hand. And thats with all calibers. everything from my pocket .22 all the way up to my .45 and .357mag. Its a pretty serious part of LEO training.

Didn't mean to make a judgement there, again I'm a total noob. But I have a good feeling that how you and other serious enthusiasts shoot / train is night and day from what these guys were up to. Put it this way- these guys probably spent more than a few rounds holding the gun sideways. Think lowered POS with spinners, way too much bass, and wife beaters as standard issue.

· R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
5,187 Posts
If he meant to insinuate anything towards you in particular he would have stated that the guy was shooting one handed with a limp wrist and kept wiping his brow with a pink hanky... :thefinger:

:D

Wow, that is scary. Every range I have utilized have all had the same rule, weapon ALWAYS faces down range at all times. Plus, most good ranges will initiate cease fire periods for range inspection. Sounds like this place was bad news...

· Registered
5,527 Posts
happened at my range, but luckily nobody was hurt.

they sounded the all clear to change your targets (during which you are not permitted to touch your firearm) and a bunch of morons were anyway. They were packing up to leave. One of them "dry fired" his pistol into the ground. Well he never checked the chamber and put a bullet in the dirt.

i thought he was going to get his ass kicked for sure.

· Registered
101 Posts
Only ones I've seen we're at our annual qualifications at our police range. One of the LEO was trying to load in his car (after being told not to) accidentally shot through his pant leg, grazed his calf and went through the floorboard and into the ground. Second one, one of the guys managed to shoot himself through the hand with a .40. Wasn't too bad tough. I mean there was a hole, but fortunately it was a FMJ round used for training and not the hot JHP rounds we carry on duty.

· Registered
1,827 Posts
I was at a calendar shoot this weekend. Bikini girls, trucks and one picture with guns. Someone handed a dumb bimbo a LOADED gun. I left shortly thereafter.

Girl on the bottom left with the Glock:

· Comfortably Numb
4,192 Posts
Wow, sorry that happened. But look at the bright side.
You got better safety training by viewing that than most people do. I'm sure every time you pick up a gun you'll have that in the back of your mind.

· Premium Member
3,109 Posts
people are stupid no matter how well a range is managed. I have told people "You need to fucking leave" at "public" military ranges. Shit, the only time I have drawn on a person was at a indoor range :laughing:

2 people learned some very valuable lessons :laughing:

Shot dude learned his buddy is a mouthbreather.
shooter learned he has no clue on ANY of the rules of gun safety.

· Registered
46 Posts
people are stupid no matter how well a range is managed..
X2!!! I am so damn sick of walking in to a Sporting goods store and watching people, including sales people, waving firearms around totally unconcious of where the muzzle is pointed!! All supposedly by firearm enthusiasts!!!!
I personally KNOW a gun dealer that shot himself in the foot with a 7MM Mag while talking trade with a customer. He opened the bolt, then thought he looked in the chamber, then closed the bolt, and was resting the muzzle on his foot and absentmindedly pulled the trigger while talking to the customer--- BOOM--- the round went thru his foot, into the concrete floor, and concrete then came back up into his foot!!!
FIRST RULE OF FIREARMS SAFETY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ALWAYS MAKE SURE MUZZLE IS POINTED IN A SAFE DIRECTION

· Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
WOW - It was a 14 YEAR OLD and HIS DAD

http://kgnb.am/news/boy-14-recovering-after-accidental-shooting-local-gun-range

(New Braunfels, TX) -- A 14-year old boy is at a San Antonio hospital recovering from an apparently accidental gunshot wound that he suffered at the hands of his father.

The incident happened around 12:45 Sunday afternoon at the Dietz Gun Range in the 41-hundred block of Range Road, which is off of Hwy 46 West about a mile past the county’s recycling center.

Comal County Sheriff’s Office investigators say a father and son had been at the gun range on Sunday firing weapons and were packing up for the day when the father attempted to clear a handgun that he believed was already unloaded.

But the weapon fired a single round which struck the 14-year old boy in the abdomen.

New Braunfels Fire and EMS crews arrived at the scene within minutes and transported the 14-year old to Christus New Braunfels Hospital.

He was later placed on an Airlife helicopter and taken to a San Antonio trauma center for further treatment.

Comal County Sheriff’s Office officials say the shooting was accidental and no charges are expected to be filed against the father. But they also urged all weapons owners to be cautious with firearms, and always treat a gun as if it’s loaded.

· Registered
193 Posts
I was at a calendar shoot this weekend. Bikini girls, trucks and one picture with guns. Someone handed a dumb bimbo a LOADED gun. I left shortly thereafter.

Girl on the bottom left with the Glock:
At least she does have the sense not to have her booger pickin' finger on the trigger!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.