JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
I Put the FU in FUN
4,253 Posts
I looked at both. I went with the 12.5s
They stuck out a bit, but I thought they looked perfect. I think there is still a pic or two in my albums.

·
Registered
461 Posts
What is the backspacing on the rims? With 15's, you should be looking at a 4.00 BS or less, which will push the tires out further, but also lessens the likelihood of rim/caliper contact.

Assuming you are in that 4.00-3.75 range, you will have no issues with the tires rubbing, so it is just a matter of personal preference on the tire width. My vote would be for the 12.50's.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I'd run 35x10.50s if I could find them. Personally, if you're keeping it stockish, I'd go 10.50 from a performance standpoint.

While the 12.50 will potentially grip better on rocks, a 10.50 will dig in the mud. When you see people spinning in mud then grip and go it's because their wide tires had trouble digging to the bottom. The 10.50 would clean out better and cut to the bottom more readily, making it a bit easier on you.

Here's my junk on 34x10.50-15 LTBs with 3.75" backspace. They pretty much measure 33.4x10.50 out the molding. I loved them but the bias ply was killing me so I went to radials.

10.50s will have less load so slightly better fuel mileage, cut through slop quicker, and significantly less clearance issues.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
How much lift are you running? With a Teraflex level lift and the 34x10.50s I was tearing the shit out of my stock flares. I'd hate to know what a 12.50 would have done.

·
Registered
10,344 Posts
I'd run 35x10.50s if I could find them. Personally, if you're keeping it stockish, I'd go 10.50 from a performance standpoint.

While the 12.50 will potentially grip better on rocks, a 10.50 will dig in the mud. When you see people spinning in mud then grip and go it's because their wide tires had trouble digging to the bottom. The 10.50 would clean out better and cut to the bottom more readily, making it a bit easier on you.

Here's my junk on 34x10.50-15 LTBs with 3.75" backspace. They pretty much measure 33.4x10.50 out the molding. I loved them but the bias ply was killing me so I went to radials.

10.50s will have less load so slightly better fuel mileage, cut through slop quicker, and significantly less clearance issues.

10.50s do have a lot of advantages and they do tend to bite pretty hard

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Odds are you're buying wheels and tires with the intention of further modifying the rig. I'd suggest going with the 12.50s and calling it good!
All due respect, I don't see where further modification warrants a 12.50 over a 10.50.

I guess some times appearance is the deciding factor.

OP, good luck. I hope the new tires work for you. Don't forget pictures when you're all mounted up! Just start looking at getting a level lift. Marcus at RCO or Jason at Krawl can take good care of you on a budget.

·
The Wheelin Man's Friend
8,650 Posts
All due respect, I don't see where further modification warrants a 12.50 over a 10.50.

I guess some times appearance is the deciding factor.

OP, good luck. I hope the new tires work for you. Don't forget pictures when you're all mounted up! Just start looking at getting a level lift. Marcus at RCO or Jason at Krawl can take good care of you on a budget.
I said that because a couple of replies were based on the Jeep being stock. Odds are if she was buying larger wheels and tires there is a bigger picture that we needed to take into account.

The JK doesn't have a problem growing into it's wheel and tire choice so I was thinking in terms of helping her buy tires once. The alternative might mean she buys what fits now and is disappointed when she lifts it and has to regroup.

Also, a 33/12.50 would be easier to resell than a 33/10.50 IMO. ;)

I should have clarified before, my post was a bit vague.

Congrats on the new wheels and tires! You'll love them!

Marcus

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I said that because a couple of replies were based on the Jeep being stock. Odds are if she was buying larger wheels and tires there is a bigger picture that we needed to take into account.

The JK doesn't have a problem growing into it's wheel and tire choice so I was thinking in terms of helping her buy tires once. The alternative might mean she buys what fits now and is disappointed when she lifts it and has to regroup.

Also, a 33/12.50 would be easier to resell than a 33/10.50 IMO. ;)

I should have clarified before, my post was a bit vague.

Congrats on the new wheels and tires! You'll love them!

Marcus
Thanks Marcus, what you said is spot on. I want to keep it relatively stock. I am definitely in the market for a leveling kit though.

I would have loved some 35s but I don't see my finances allowing for gears, bigger lift, or a tire carrier/bumper combo for at least 2 years (paying off my student loans). Unfortunately, I am too conservative even though I would love to have a "screw my loans" mentality :)

I really want to start getting my feet wet now. I think I can have fun until it is time to replace the tires. I am too embarrassed to go wheel with the horrible Sport tires it came with so I haven't even been out yet.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.