JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 07 Sahara with 4.10s and a d30 up front and a d44 in the rear. i currently have a rock krawler 3.5" with 35s. i am ok with the gearing for my driving. gas mileage isn't an issue as its not our DD. (although, between the wife and I, it gets driven almost everyday!)

i am looking to get front and rear lockers as i think it will some of the trails i want to start going on.

i can get a mopar rubicon front and rear d44 axle with the electric lockers and electric hardware for $2600.

or i can get the aussie upfront for $250 and a different locker for the rear - I have no clue which one.

i am wanting to get into going on some trails, but nothing SUPER hard - just fun stuff.

if i had some offers on the stock axles, it would be an easy decision, but so far no one seems interested in my stockers.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have an 07 Sahara with 4.10s and a d30 up front and a d44 in the rear. i currently have a rock krawler 3.5" with 35s. i am ok with the gearing for my driving. gas mileage isn't an issue as its not our DD. (although, between the wife and I, it gets driven almost everyday!)

i am looking to get front and rear lockers as i think it will some of the trails i want to start going on.

i can get a mopar rubicon front and rear d44 axle with the electric lockers and electric hardware for $2600.

or i can get the aussie upfront for $250 and a different locker for the rear - I have no clue which one.

i am wanting to get into going on some trails, but nothing SUPER hard - just fun stuff.

if i had some offers on the stock axles, it would be an easy decision, but so far no one seems interested in my stockers.
If you are not doing anything "super hard, just fun stuff" you don't need anything except what you have.

If you want to get the most bang for the buck, the front Aussie Locker you mentioned would kick ass, as a front locker makes an enormous difference, more of a difference than a rear locker.

Overall, a selectable front locker is better, but, for the price, you can't beat an Aussie Locker....and, its MORE street friendly than its lunch box counter parts like Lock-Rites, EZ Lockers, etc.

If staying with 35's, the D30 should be fine...if going taller than that...upgrading to the front D44 would be good.

As you already HAVE 4.10 diffs...you have the option of only doing the front swap if you wanted to....and seeing how that worked out for you....

But if the D44's are for larger tires than your 35's, for 37's etc....the 4.10 ratio will be less and less satisfactory off road (Not a DD, so mpg savings are not of concern...and you won't have the Rubi 4:1 T-Case either, etc...)

Again, for what you describe, the $ for a double axle swap seems like over kill....but if cost is no object...it would work of course great.

:D

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
seems like i will do this - get the aussie locker for now - i eventually want to do 40s, so a bigger lift, full axles, and new tires are down the road. however that won't be for a few years as my 3 1/2 year old can barely climb in as it is. The possible wasted $$ for the aussie isn't an issue.

a friend of mine told me to run it until it breaks, then buy new s**t... sounds like a plan :)

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Where do you live. Aussies aren't that great of an idea if you're in snow and ice country. Do you have the limited slip rear? You're not gonna gain much with rear lockers over the JK limited slip (and I don't mean the BLD.)

·
Registered
771 Posts
[QUOTEDo you have the limited slip rear? You're not gonna gain much with rear lockers over the JK limited slip ][/QUOTE]

The rear LSD is crap. i have it and wished i didn't. it is nothing like a locker.

get the aussie locker for now
Good inexpensive locker. i have one in the front. I also drive in the snow. Have never had a problem. Just don't drive it like a sports car.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
"The rear LSD is crap. i have it and wished i didn't. it is nothing like a locker."

I have yet to see a Jeep with a locker go where I can't. I added in a front selectable and really appreciate the maneuverability an open front offers in tight spaces.

·
Registered
128 Posts
There is nothing worse than compromising and having to upgrade to what you new you wanted in the first place. I would suggest putting 35 spline chromoly's in your rear w/an ARB (axles of non rubi are same length so you only need 1 spare) or a dana 60. I think leaving the front open you will save a lot of breakage until you can afford to upgrade it. I put the rubi 44 in the front of mine with chromoly's. Not being able to control when your locker locks up sucks. I have been side ways in the ice to many times in my old YJ because it would decide to lock up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.