JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My old picture tube TV is circling the drain and I will soon be in the market for a new one. I'm a total noob when it comes to the ins and outs of the new flat screen TV's. So since I know that TV is second only to Jeeping (well actually drinking is probably second to Jeeping) I figured I ask you guys for some help. What should I be looking for as far as type and brand. Good, bad, other wise. Not looking for a huge 70" home theater type, something a little smaller. Any brands to look at, or avoid? Edjumicate me.
Thanks in advance:)

·
Registered
659 Posts
I like Samsung the most... go flat LED...

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk

·
V8 dreams
3,573 Posts
My brother and I just got mom n dad a 46" insignia led from bestbuy for $600. Picture looks good, tv looks good, and it has a 2 yr warranty that you don't have to pay extra for.

I would love to have gotten the Samsung but this saved us $200 and our parents could care less about name brands

Vandy

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Samsung LED has a great picture and one of the best on the market, and if you think you need it, their "Smart" LED t.v. is a pretty cool feature

·
Registered
159 Posts
Insignia actually Best Buy's brand and for the money are quite good. Nice thing about it being a house brand is if something goes wrong the repairs are fast.

I have a 26" tv/DVD unit for the spare room and the DVD play failed. I sent it out on a Monday and it came back that Friday. That includes 2 days of shipping!

Anyway, the one thing I would suggest is the extra warranty. It is at the entry level price point, which you can have a few more problems with.

As for other brands, you can't go wrong with Samsung or Sony for LED/LCD. Second to them would be Sharp or LG.

For Plasma, Panasonic is the top dog, but Samsung isn't a bad option for that either.

·
Registered
159 Posts
My old picture tube TV is circling the drain and I will soon be in the market for a new one. I'm a total noob when it comes to the ins and outs of the new flat screen TV's. So since I know that TV is second only to Jeeping (well actually drinking is probably second to Jeeping) I figured I ask you guys for some help. What should I be looking for as far as type and brand. Good, bad, other wise. Not looking for a huge 70" home theater type, something a little smaller. Any brands to look at, or avoid? Edjumicate me.
Thanks in advance:)
Didn't read your whole post.

Does the room the TV is in have a lot of windows? Yes? I would shy away from Plasma or glossy LED panels, you will end up having a fair bit of glare.

Doesn't sound like you are looking to go too big, but just keep in mind the distance you will be sitting from the TV. If you are too close to a big screen it can bother some people. Also, if you are going from an old tube TV (4:3) the same "size" widescreen will seem smaller. As an example, if you have a 32" tube, you will want to get a 37" or 40" for it to visually appear to be the same size.

Figure out what features are important to you.
Full HD, 3D, Smart TV.

Have a look at them and figure out if it is something you may want, whether it's for right now or a little while down the road. Spending a little extra now could save you wanting to replace the TV before its needed.

Anyway, that's all I have off the top of my head and I feel like I'm rambling on this phone.

If I think of anything else I will post again.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Have to join the choruses here on recommendations. Samsung LED are the tops for LED setups. Tons of cool features, great picture and cool app that allows you to control your Samsung components with your smart phone (great for messing with people haha).

My main TV though and as mentioned by Astrax is a Panasonic plasma. Plasma TVs use a lot more energy than an LED or LCD, but for picture quality they cannot be beat. Darker blacks and warmer colors than the other two mediums are capable of. I prefer it over LED.

Distant third is LCD. Cold picture, lousy darks... LCD isn't really bad when seen by itself and there's nothing else to compare it to, but seen side by side with a plasma and PED the difference really shows.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have a Panasonic I wish I never bought...I will, however, say that the 4yr extended warranty we purchased with it from Best Buy has allowed this thing to last longer than the 15mos it would've crapped out at. Although, we hit the 4yr mark in about a week and we now need to call Best Buy tomorrow for a FOURTH service call.

Apparently my wife misplaced the receipt. Panasonic will consider replacing the TV since this is the 4th problem we've had, BUT, they must have a receipt to do it. Even though Best Buy knows we have the warranty and will keep coming out to fix it! (and best buy can't find the receipt in their system...just our luck).

But never again will I purchase another Panasonic (we have a tube tv/dvd/vhs combo we bought 6yrs ago...it had to be repaired at the 11mo mark and the DVD/VHS portions stopped working about 6mos after that)

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have a Panasonic I wish I never bought...I will, however, say that the 4yr extended warranty we purchased with it from Best Buy has allowed this thing to last longer than the 15mos it would've crapped out at. Although, we hit the 4yr mark in about a week and we now need to call Best Buy tomorrow for a FOURTH service call.

Apparently my wife misplaced the receipt. Panasonic will consider replacing the TV since this is the 4th problem we've had, BUT, they must have a receipt to do it. Even though Best Buy knows we have the warranty and will keep coming out to fix it! (and best buy can't find the receipt in their system...just our luck).

But never again will I purchase another Panasonic (we have a tube tv/dvd/vhs combo we bought 6yrs ago...it had to be repaired at the 11mo mark and the DVD/VHS portions stopped working about 6mos after that)

·
Registered
6,283 Posts
as i install tvs for what some may call living i see alot of brands and alot that break. 95% of the tvs i install are samsung leds, the 6000 series is a good middle of the road tv. the samsung 8000 series plasma has a awesome pic but cannot be in a bright room (there will be a lot of glare) my second chioce would be a lg led. if you go plasma look at panasonic or samsung. Now you do need to add HD service to get the best pic, if you dont depending on the tv you get the old one may look better, i also suggest getting a blu-ray player, they are cheap now and will play your reguar dvd's. alos dont let the sales guy talk you into a expwnsive hdmi cable, a cheap one will be fine for satellite or cable hd but get a little bit better one for a blu-ray player.

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Just bought my 4th Sony (not due to any problems or anything, just sold one (to upgrade to bigger) and bought 3 for 3 different rooms!) All Bravias: LCD's- 27 (720), 32 (720), 52 (1080), and now a 55" LED (1080), love 'em!

Only thing I would say is get a high refresh rate for a big TV, if you don't it'll visibly shudder in certain movie scenes (like when they pan across a scene at a certain rate). My current ones are 32"@60hz (despite the low rate, it's small enough that I have never seen it shudder), 52"@120hz (on occasion you can see it shudder but VERY seldom), 55"@240hz. (no visible shudder) I would never buy a big 60hz TV!!! (though lots of people sell them)

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the info! You guys rock!:bounce: So it would be safe to say that I want to go LED and not LCD, and since my current TV is a 36" tube I should look at least a 40" flat screen. Now my room does have lots of windows so I want to get one with low glare, is this brand dependent ( some worse than others) or are only certain types prone to glare.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I chose to stick with a digital CRT TV. 30" diagonal; 1080i; 16:9; HDMI; etc, etc,.

I just couldn't find anything with a better picture. And it's quite a bit less expensive than the other types.
Samsung TX-T3093WH

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I've got a Panasonic Plasma and a Sharp LED... both are great TV's and the picture is just as good. I like the picture on the plasma better than an led or lcd. the refresh rate is much faster and you don't get any of t he pixillation. IMO

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
I had a hard time deciding between Sony and Samsung. In the end I got a package one day deal at best buy on the Sony, with 3d package, and ps3.

I pick Sony because their tones are more realistic to me, Samsung seamed to brighten everything up way too much for my taste.

Best picture tv I have had, plus it didn't break the bank.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.