JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

I've been driving myself a little crazy trying to figure out which tires I should run on my rig as I'm building it up.

Here is my current (relevant) setup:

2017 JKU
BFG KM2 35x12.5R15
Dynatrac ProRock 44 Front (all options, 4.88 /w MT)
Dynatrac ProRock 60 Rear (all options)
Adams Extreme Duty 1310 Front & Rear DS
3.5 RockKrawler Lift (yielded about 4in)
Stock Control Arms (Front lower are RK)
Yeti XD Tie Rod
Yeti XD Drag Link
RK Track Bar

So now my KM2's are coming to their end-of life, they were added when I was still stock on a D30+D44. What I'm trying to avoid is having to replace my lift, put in hydro or do other expensive upgrades on top of it all.

Here are the choices I'm considering atm - Jeep is an occasional daily driver but mainly offroader in CO/UT with lots of Moab and mountain time, so road manners aren't super important. For wheels I'm just going to use steel ProComps like I have now, cheap, will get beat up

Choice 1: BFG KM3 37x12.5R17
Safe choice, love BFG, but KM's tend to run a bit small - my 35's are only slightly over 33

Choice 2: Milestar Patagonia M/T 38x13.5R17
Cheap with $250 apiece, runs true to size, keep seeing them without much negative feedback, don't know brand

Choice 3: BFG KM3 39x13.5R17
Expensive choice, would love the size (might run more like a true-to-size 37), major concerns are can I use my existing lift, do i need hydro, really needed...

What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Hi guys,

I've been driving myself a little crazy trying to figure out which tires I should run on my rig as I'm building it up.

Here is my current (relevant) setup:

2017 JKU
BFG KM2 35x12.5R15
Dynatrac ProRock 44 Front (all options, 4.88 /w MT)
Dynatrac ProRock 60 Rear (all options)
Adams Extreme Duty 1310 Front & Rear DS
3.5 RockKrawler Lift (yielded about 4in)
Stock Control Arms (Front lower are RK)
Yeti XD Tie Rod
Yeti XD Drag Link
RK Track Bar

So now my KM2's are coming to their end-of life, they were added when I was still stock on a D30+D44. What I'm trying to avoid is having to replace my lift, put in hydro or do other expensive upgrades on top of it all.

Here are the choices I'm considering atm - Jeep is an occasional daily driver but mainly offroader in CO/UT with lots of Moab and mountain time, so road manners aren't super important. For wheels I'm just going to use steel ProComps like I have now, cheap, will get beat up

Choice 1: BFG KM3 37x12.5R17
Safe choice, love BFG, but KM's tend to run a bit small - my 35's are only slightly over 33

Choice 2: Milestar Patagonia M/T 38x13.5R17
Cheap with $250 apiece, runs true to size, keep seeing them without much negative feedback, don't know brand

Choice 3: BFG KM3 39x13.5R17
Expensive choice, would love the size (might run more like a true-to-size 37), major concerns are can I use my existing lift, do i need hydro, really needed...

What do you guys think?
Sounds like you've already built the thing for 40s but you will probably want hydro for anything over 35.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think 40’s are out for sure since I doubt my lift, control arms and 1310 drive shafts would even remotely support it.

As far as hydro goes, what do you guys think about those $500-$600 west Texas kits? Trying to avoid going the full 2-3k PSC route for now

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
I would think the 37" KM3's would be a good fit since they tend to run a bit small and you can get by without doing assist.
When you did axles did you get stock width or were you smart and got them in the 68" width?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got the stock width axles since I upgraded the front first (I had a d30 that pooped). Haven’t finalized the d60 order yet so I got some options though it’s going to stay stock width as well

·
Registered
526 Posts
It really depends on how you drive it, and also do you have a deep offset on your wheels, or are you running spacers?
I ran 37” Nittos on mine for about 20,000 miles. They are a really nice tire, rode great, and i didn’t find them annoying. I also have the PSC big bore box, but no hydraulics. (Yet).
At the end of this summer i went to the Patagonias in 38”. They are a little harder to balance, but do ride well. You need to run a little higher air pressure in them, per milestar, so that they run on the crown or center of the tire to get maximum mileage on the street. They also need frequent rotations, like every 2500-3000 mile rotations, if you are concerned with maximum mileage. As far as Offroad, they ride great, stick great and work well everywhere i have been with them. They have seen the Rubicon, Moab, SandHollow, and Arizona for local stuff. I am pretty happy with them. I don’t think you can go wrong with either tire. You will need wheels with 3.5” backspace, or spacers to un them on stock width axles, though.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm getting new wheels with the tires as my current ones are 15's - I'll make sure to keep that in mind! Thanks on the feedback about the Patagonias, they are very tempting especially at that price point

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good call on the 3.5 backspacing which will cause some pain, hate the idea of spacers ...

Another question I thought of
- what do you guys think I could possibly sell my old Rear D44 for? It's of a 2017 with roughly 20k miles, LSD locker, PS Cover, 4.88 gears and no damage
- what do you think my old tires/wheels could be worth? BFG KM2 35x12.5R15, 15k miles, good condition

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
You really should order the rear axle in a 68"-70" width. I would get it in the full float version not the semi float. Just run adapters up front to make up for the width. You are spending some good money there on the axle so do it right. If you put a semi float on your rig you will really regret it in the future, trust me. I would also recommend that you talk to Dan at Fusion 4x4 on your axle order. You can get a full float 60 for around $500 more than the Dynatrac semi float. Thats cheaper than a rear brake upgrade and Fusion uses massive brakes. You will want at least a 17" wheel with the 8x6.5 bolt pattern and 4.5" back spacing. Get a 5x5 to 8x6.5 adapter up front. Dans axles are top notch and generally has a way better lead time on orders. He uses industry available parts that you can get in just about any car part store like seals, bearings, and brake pads. I run a PR60/80 combo now and if I were to do it again I would go with Fusion.

you might get $500-800 for the rear axle since it has been re-geard. Tires $200 maybe if you find the right person. The 15" size is not going to be helpful in selling.

Good luck.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hijack
Anyone ever gone ahead and put a 14 bolt / 60 in the rear and ran the 44 up front with adapters for a while? I'm talking stock built 44, not a dynatrac or anything.
I'm contemplating that. Got the 14 bolt, but can't pull the trigger on the front just yet.

·
Administrator
996 Posts
Hijack
Anyone ever gone ahead and put a 14 bolt / 60 in the rear and ran the 44 up front with adapters for a while? I'm talking stock built 44, not a dynatrac or anything.
I'm contemplating that. Got the 14 bolt, but can't pull the trigger on the front just yet.
I considered the same thing, chose to wait until I can do both at the same time.
The build is slow going :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.