JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bent my stock tie rod, ordered a stock replacement and was going to put it on tomorrow. Out of sheer curiosity I decided to measure my toe in since even with it bent the jeep still drives perfectly straight, no pulling whatsoever. Anyway, Toe in is exactly 1/8"! I dont think I am going to replace it. I think I will abuse it a little more and now I have a spare. What do you all think? The bend is not bad but obvious.

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
I bent my stock tie rod, ordered a stock replacement and was going to put it on tomorrow. Out of sheer curiosity I decided to measure my toe in since even with it bent the jeep still drives perfectly straight, no pulling whatsoever. Anyway, Toe in is exactly 1/8"! I dont think I am going to replace it. I think I will abuse it a little more and now I have a spare. What do you all think? The bend is not bad but obvious.
I ran with mine bent for about a year. Upgraded on my terms.

If it's not giving you bad effects then I say roll with it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
a bad toe setting will not cause a pull but will chew up tires. if you feel good about your measurements run it. if you are not sure and care about tire life have the toe checked. or you can keep an eye on the edge wear of the tires and that will tell you if something is wrong.

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
a bad toe setting will not cause a pull but will chew up tires. if you feel good about your measurements run it. if you are not sure and care about tire life have the toe checked. or you can keep an eye on the edge wear of the tires and that will tell you if something is wrong.
Yep... that is something that you should be keeping tabs on regularly. You can eat a set of tires pretty quick when something is off.. even just a little.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After my lift and bigger tires I never adjusted my toe. Inch wise I'm not sure what stock is. But now it's right at the 1/8" recommend for larger tires so heck with it. I will run with it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but if one side had more toe than the other it would pull right?
Nope. Cant have more toe on one side, as the toe is relationship between the front tyres when pointing straight ahead. If your draglink adjustment is also out and you do the measurements based on the steering wheel being straight, then yes, one side will be different to the other, and with the steering wheel straight it will pull to one side. Let the wheel go and if everything else is correct the wheel will go back to one side and the vehicle should pull straight again.

In other words, if you increase toein by bending the tie rod, this will require both wheels to move in slightly to continue in a straight line (whilst increasing tyre wear from scrubbing). As this will also push the draglink across slightly then your steering wheel will also turn slightly to the new straightline position.

But on its own, toe in will not cause a vehicle to pull to one side, this is the result of camber, caster or front to rear misalignment issues.

Personally I believe 1/8 to be a little on the high side, from memory stock is 0 to 1.3mm total (I dont have my docs on me at the moment to confirm though) which is about 1/2 what you have. This would make sense as the small bend will start to increase the toe in.

Personally I would just adjust the toe-in out a fraction and leave it unless anything is starting to rub.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I bent my stock tie rod and ran it for a month. Then I bent it some more and still ran it for another month. Third time I bent it and the drag link and just barely had enough adjustment to get the wheels straight. Then I ordered the Poly Performance drag link and tie rod and have had no more problems with bending, though I did manage to wear out a set of rod ends on the tie rod (probably due to death wobble issues, now finally resolved).

I would run with what you've got until it gets bent again and carry the new one as a spare. Or better yet, sell the Mopar tie rod and get something that's not likely to bend. I can vouch for Poly Performance. Others may also be good, though I'd avoid Teraflex; based on my experience with a Teraflex trackbar, I'd be wary of their tie rods as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.