JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

i currently live in louisville KY and have a job opportunity in fort lauderdale which will pay more than double my current pay. whole family is louisville (im 24), but its hard to turn down the pay increase. what i wanted to know was where in fort lauderdale would be a good place to live, what are your opinions of south florida (Ft lauderdale specifically), and any other words of wisdom.

any and everything is greatly appreciated.

cheers :beer::beer:

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
Your young I say get out and have an adventure! Your family will still love you especially if you buy them a web cam and show them how to skype.
If you are unattached FL is a great place to live but it is also just fun because the beaches are nice, the weather is acceptable but often to hot during may-oct. on the bright side that keeps the women from wearing lots of clothing and you would have more opportunity to drive naked.

·
Registered
327 Posts
near the fort lauderdale area , i've always enjoyed hollywood.

the increase in pay will be nice, but make sure you factor in cost of living. i don't know how expensive your current area is... but this is a neat tool.

it lets you compare your old city and new:

http://www.bestplaces.net/col/default.aspx

·
Registered
62 Posts
South FL is a culture shock for sure. It's very crowded and very expensive so be sure and factor that in when making your decision.

That said, FL in general is awesome, weather is great, beaches are fantastic and lots of trails and mud!

·
Premium Member
2,791 Posts
Moving from Nashville Tennessee to Florida back in 06 I moved for the same reasons. Same company better opportunity. Hated the Winters, couldnt take it anymore. Left all my family behind and left for Florida. Its what you make of it. Florida is a melting pot of culture. Crime is higher, cost of living is higher, road rage will set in on you eventually but beautiful? Nothing is better than Winter in Florida. It beats the hell out of the snow, ice and cold. When your calling your family in January and its snowing there and your walking around in shorts, tshirts and flip flops in mid to upper 70's nothing is better. Summer is hot but the chicks are hotter. Love bugs suck and so does the every day rain if you keep your junk outside. Going topless? Totally opposite than what you are use to. Topless summers in Louisville will turn into topless Winter in Florida. Dry season is your friend. So are the toll roads. You wont go back home as often as you are planning right now so dont use that as a selling point to your family. It just wont happen. Download Southwest Ding and fly back when you can. Otherwise its been interesting living here. Ive met some cool people that I otherwise wouldnt have. Hitmoney and the guys down on that end can show you the ropes. Good luck...

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm 31 and I moved here 10 years ago, almost to the day, by myself with my family 1000 miles away... and I've never regretted for a single second. The weather is always summer/spring, the women are gorgeous, cultural diversity at every turn, tons of beaches, bars on every corner, golf course on every other corner... there's a lot of fake/materialistic/douchebaggy people, but if you're selective, you can find some great ones, too.

I say go for it... worse case scenario, its not like you don't have a home to go back to.

·
Registered
45 Posts
South FL is a culture shock for sure. It's very crowded and very expensive so be sure and factor that in when making your decision.

That said, FL in general is awesome, weather is great, beaches are fantastic and lots of trails and mud!
BTW... ccb_Dan, I gotta find out about some of these trails and mud you speak of... I'm only on day 4 of JK ownership, but I'm already jonesin' for it. Let me know some good local spots and/or if you're heading out next if I can tag along!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Do it

Been in south Florida for about a month working on a pipeline project. It's a zoo but I wish I had more time to explore and mingle. I'd say go for it and make sure you put a louder horn on your JK.:D

·
Registered
916 Posts
Your still so freakin young, take the leap and enjoy the adventure. South Florida is what you make of it. There are so many cultures and so many events going on at the same time, that you can always find something to do.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts