JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 11 Sahara and want to get a Sony dual din touchscreen put in, my question is do I need a dash kit or will it fit without a dash kit?

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,956 Posts
I have an 11 Sahara and want to get a Sony dual din touchscreen put in, my question is do I need a dash kit or will it fit without a dash kit?
The only thing needed is a set of appearance fillers on the sides of the DD unit. I believe you will be cutting a support bar behind the stereo to get a deeper unit to fit also...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Ok. Here is my list. I installed a JVC double Din in my 2011. I just removed/cut the bar inside the dash to make it fit easier.
-Steering wheel controls
Axxess AWSC $42
-Antenna Adapter
Metra 40EU10 $10
-Receiver Double Din Mount
Metra 956511 $10
-Harness Adapter
Axxess XSVI-6522-NAV $47
All prices from Amazon. If you want to keep Sirius let me know, there are other parts
Chris

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a lot Cajun, I just ordered everything, I'll make sure to post pics once I get everything installed

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I was gonna tell you to give crutchfield a call but you already ordered your stuff. Maybe for a future reference if you need some advice on stereo stuff. They gave me great advice and sent vehicle specific instructions for those who have never put in a radio (like myself).

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
I believe you will be cutting a support bar behind the stereo to get a deeper unit to fit also...
I completely removed that support piece when I changed out my system, it is was easier than cutting it up.

FWIW I used the Scosche CR1291B install kit and a PAC C2R-CHY4 interface. The Scosche antenna adapter did not fit, so I picked one up locally.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I completely removed that support piece when I changed out my system, it is was easier than cutting it up.
Phil,can you explain how you removed the support piece? I was going to cut mine but if there is an alternative, I would probably rather do that. It may be self explanatory once I get the pull the dash to put in the new stereo but I would rather go in armed with the info and save time. Thanks.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Phil,can you explain how you removed the support piece? I was going to cut mine but if there is an alternative, I would probably rather do that. It may be self explanatory once I get the pull the dash to put in the new stereo but I would rather go in armed with the info and save time. Thanks.
Once you get the dash off and factory radio out it will be fairly self explanatory. There's just a couple screws holding it in.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Once you get the dash off and factory radio out it will be fairly self explanatory. There's just a couple screws holding it in.
X2 It is easy to see how it comes out, although it is not exactly easy to get out. I cut it in half with some bolt snips to make it easy to pull out. As far as I can see the only purpose of the piece is to support the rear of the factory head unit. As most aftermarket units are going to "sit" on the plastic base in the opening, it really isn't needed and is in the way anyway.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Thanks, I'll check it out. I'll see if I can remove it without cutting it though. That way if I decide to sell the Jeep ever (will probably never happen), I can put the stock head unit back in.

·
Registered
127 Posts
X2 It is easy to see how it comes out, although it is not exactly easy to get out. I cut it in half with some bolt snips to make it easy to pull out. As far as I can see the only purpose of the piece is to support the rear of the factory head unit. As most aftermarket units are going to "sit" on the plastic base in the opening, it really isn't needed and is in the way anyway.
Thanks, I'll check it out. I'll see if I can remove it without cutting it though. That way if I decide to sell the Jeep ever (will probably never happen), I can put the stock head unit back in.
Not sure if PhilD has a 2011 or not ( edit: looking at his pics, he does not have a 2011). I do, and the bracket does not need to be cut or bent to come out. Plenty of room to unscrew, twist and move it any way you need to to get it out in the 2011's. The dash is totally different pre 2011.

Cajun01 gave you good information on the parts. I didn't use any of those parts except the antenna adapter. I installed new speakers at the same time. I just hard wired the radio and ran new speaker wires for the dash tweeters from the crossover that came with the new component front speakers.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Not sure if PhilD has a 2011 or not ( edit: looking at his pics, he does not have a 2011). I do, and the bracket does not need to be cut or bent to come out. Plenty of room to unscrew, twist and move it any way you need to to get it out in the 2011's. The dash is totally different pre 2011.
Mine's old, 2007. It was a square peg round hole thing trying to get it out in one piece. It may have have been possible, but my ADD kicked in, so I snipped it in a couple of places and it came straight out.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Mine is a 2007 also. I took the brace out last night. I managed to get it out in one piece without bending or cutting. It was like trying to fit a square peg through a round hole. Took some prying and coaxing but I got it out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok. Here is my list. I installed a JVC double Din in my 2011. I just removed/cut the bar inside the dash to make it fit easier.
-Steering wheel controls
Axxess AWSC $42
-Antenna Adapter
Metra 40EU10 $10
-Receiver Double Din Mount
Metra 956511 $10
-Harness Adapter
Axxess XSVI-6522-NAV $47
All prices from Amazon. If you want to keep Sirius let me know, there are other parts
Chris
With that Axxess adapter are you using the factory amp or the one from the new H/U?

Thanks!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts