JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Rubicon isnt AT ALL handling correctly after my Poly tierod/ stab reloc bracket/ Fox 2.0 stabilizer install (ALL OF THESE COMPANIES THINGS ARE GREAT-THIS IS MY FAULT). It has to be an adjust issue but i need to get a better idea of how bad off things are before i take it to be aligned. I had the jeep lifted this year and have wheeled her pretty hard since. No real issues besides some front end squeaks and rattles during hard turns while fully compressed on opposite side...I think front spring clips wouldve helped quiet it a little, but no major binding or noise. Also...the RE lift uses a drop bracket (off the frame side) that extends track bar location as well as replaces w adjustable tb. The RE kit also relocates the drag link to the top pass side knuckle & is adjustable as well.-FORWARD TO CURRENT ISSUE- I hated to remove anything from the RE kit but I was pretty concerned about (the shape of) the adj track bar- contacting the stabilizer and/ or drag link during full travel situations.I KNOW IVE GOT TO POST PICS. I installed the stock track bar now (w shims) at dropped location and it semmed to fit like when stock. Tie rod/ reloc bracket and stabilizer relocated easy enough as well, BUT Im wondering... #1.(on the Poly reloc. bracket) if i might mount stabilzer body on the left-most hole instead of the one onthe right side of the bracket? #2. Another concern is that jeep seems to kinda "hop" now when driving (at only 5-10mph).I cant tell fer sure but she seems to sorta want to push or drift to the left as well...Alignment? #3.When jeep is just sittin there-I can turn the steer wheel all the way left /all the way right & the sway-bar discos will pull the front end of the jeep downward...I dont remember it being like this before? Swaybar angle looks almost horizontal w/ framerail- Theyre maxed allthe way short but could be lengthened a bit (feels like that wont address the issue.) I need to slow down and and keep things as close to the way it was before the install. Please HELP w/ any advice or maybe somthin i've overlooked...anything incl PICS would be so appreciated. I realize that ive got to try and get pics posted...doing bout ten things at once right now though.:pissed:

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
I'm not exactly certain what your issues are or even what components you have, as your post is very hard to read, but I think you just need to take a moment and check out the geometry of everything you are doing.

1. Steering - Drag link and track bar need to be parallel to each other, (preferably raised at the axle end), otherwise you will get bump steer. You mention the Poly relocation bracket and tie rod, but not the high steer drag link?

2. Track - If the front and/or rear tracks are off you will get adverse steering/handling. How far is the track off front/rear?

3. Alignment - You can get the toe close enough with a tape measure, certainly close enough so that it won't be causing any issues when driving down the street.

A photograph of your steering would be most useful...

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
are you sure you don't have the pressure in the fox stabilizer too high and it is causing the steering to push? it should be mounted in the hole furthest on the driver's side. you also might have it extended or compressed too far. if it is bottoming out, that could be your problem.

nothing you've done should change the way the swaybar links work. when setting the length on these, park on level ground, then make sure the swaybars are parallel to the ground and set the links to the length to fit that.

so, let me make sure we understand this - you removed the RE draglink and put the stock one back on, in the stock position - knuckle under?

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The RE adj drag link is still in place on top of the pass side knuckle & has not been adj at all.I did adj the Poly tierod & think the toe/ align is better now than at first. Youve confirmed that Ive mounted the stabilizer to the correct hole in the Poly reloc bracket as well. I can turn the steer wheel full left/ full right and stabilizer doesnt contact the diff cover. I simply compressed the shaft about half way and mounted it to top of tierod. Location looks like other pics ive seen...so that looks OK. The RElift utilizes a drop bracket off of the the drie side frame rail & I am using it so as to keep the RE set-up as it was intended.The concern is that i have ditched the RE trackbar & reinstalled the stock unit ( in the dropped location) as clearance looked rather tight. The stock track bar mount location WOULD put the draglink & trackbar more parallel w/ one another, but the RE lift wasnt intended to utilize that location. Swaybar links w/ RE liftrelocates the discos a few inches higher off the axle than the stock tabs...similar to what the Poly Perf set-up uses...so I left them alone as well. I still cant see why (when turning steering wheel to left and right) the front of the vehicle pulls downward? I also am not sure i understand about the front/ rear track being "off" (as suggested) or how to go about checking that? Obviously, I shouldve paid better attn in geometry class...

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
so, you don't have your trackbar mounted in the higher position on the poly trackbar bracket?

if not, you need to do so. that is the whole point of the bracket raising it - to raise the roll center of the steering, when you raised the draglink to the knuckle over position.

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes its relocated in the top ctr hole of the relocation bracket. The relocation issue is on the drivers side ( at the RE dropped bracket) in terms of mounting it at stock location (or) in the dropped RE bracket location. The RE lift and RE flipped drag link was installed long ago and was done correctly but RE doesnt want to advise since the Poly reloc bracket/ tie rod/ stabilizer didnt come from them...and i certainly see their point.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
okay, you are talking about a dropped pitman arm! if you are using the poly high-steer setup, you don't need the dropped pitman arm. take it off and put the stock pitman arm back on.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
The RE lift and RE flipped drag link was installed long ago and was done correctly but RE doesnt want to advise since the Poly reloc bracket/ tie rod/ stabilizer didnt come from them...and i certainly see their point.
Not sure on the details of the RE drag link deal... Do they flip it on top of the steering knuckle like we do....? If so they should not be dropping the trackbar at the frame. Are you using a drop pitman arm..? If so take that **** off.

I think you will be cool if you are using our front trackbar bracket, RE drag link (if it mounts on top of the steering knuckle). Just make sure you are not using any type of drop pitman arm or drop trackbar bracket at the frame. Get what I am sayin...?

Post a pic of what you got going on and we call all help you out alot better.

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The pitman arm is stock but like you said, im afraid ill have to scrap the dropped trackbar bracket on the drivers side.If i go back to the stock location it WILL put the trackbar and drag link in a more parallel relationship with one another. I just hope that doing so doesnt jeprodize the integrity of the RE lift...I think RE might throw me to the wolves if i scrap any part of the long arm lift due to the way the RE components are supposed to all work in conjunction w one another. You guys dont know how much i appreciate this help considering how frustrating it must be to have to visualize this whole thing w no pics. The dropped bracket also will be a b***h to remove since my installer decided to reinfoce the thing with welds.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
The pitman arm is stock but like you said, im afraid ill have to scrap the dropped trackbar bracket on the drivers side.If i go back to the stock location it WILL put the trackbar and drag link in a more parallel relationship with one another.
This is what you need to do.

I just hope that doing so doesn't jeprodize the integrity of the RE lift...I think RE might throw me to the wolves if i scrap any part of the long arm lift due to the way the RE components are supposed to all work in conjunction w one another.
The RE guys are cool. I am sure they won't do that. They are a good group over there.

You guys don't know how much i appreciate this help considering how frustrating it must be to have to visualize this whole thing w no pics. The dropped bracket also will be a b***h to remove since my installer decided to reinforce the thing with welds.
Do what you gotta to do man. :rasta:

·
Registered
592 Posts
Those pics were the key, you just need to remove the RE frame trackbar bracket and it will be perfect! I also noticed your sway bar discos, you can remove the pass side RE relocation bracket and put the sway bar mounting pin in the side of your PP track bar bracket so you can disconnect it.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
i don't see anything that looks unusual, except that from the way your springs are bowed side-to-side, i think your axle is shifted over towards the driver's side a fair amount. that probably isn't causing the problem, but it could be compounding it.

the swaybar links look like they are installed correctly.

you need to get an adjustable trackbar and get rid of that trackbar drop mount.

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
you need to get an adjustable trackbar and get rid of that trackbar drop mount.
I can't see the pics ? but if you are removing the track mount I'd see where the axle sits before getting an adjustable track bar, although it sounds like it may be needed.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Okay, I see the pics now. X2 on what everyone else said, get rid of the frame mounted track bar bracket, then see if you need an adjustable track bar.

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm thinking that at least temporarily i might get by w leaving the bracket in place but just move the RE adj trackbar back to the stock location. im guessing that if its not contacting anything, it might be ok...maybe not?

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
That would certainly help, just use the upper hole, and you could easily cut the bottom piece of the bracket off. See how the track bar and drag line line up then. Draw an imaginary line from bolt to bolt on the drag link and the same for the track bar and they should be parallel to each other.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Why not use the RE track bar bracket, track bar, and steering stabilizer relocation bracket as designed by RE?

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
the RE lift came w the adj track bar but the bracket relocates the frame side mount location 3" down from stock. This makes the trackbar less than parallel w the hi-steer draglink in place.I didnt know that RE made a st. stab. reloc bracket...Wouldnt it be about the same height/ location as the Poly Perf bracket? I will say that one issue im facing is that the RE (heavy duty...adjustable) track bar is too wide (@ the heim-joint) to put back in the stock mounting bracket location...which is also why im trying to use the stock/ non-adj track bar..........hmmmmm.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts