JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for some reasonably priced rock sliders / side protection for my 4 door. I don't like the idea of drilling into the body per se but would be willing to hear anyone out on this subject. Anyway I would appreciate some real advice on purchasing a slider / side protection. Ease of install, ruggedness and value for the money. Can anyone suggest a vendor? Thanks all!

·
Openly Hostile
6,981 Posts
How hard do you wheel? I have been beating the crap out of my stock rubicon rails for over a year, and they are holding up really well. You can pick them up pretty cheap too. If you are looking for something more than those, there really are a ton of options depending on what your budget is.

·
Registered
689 Posts
As stated, it depends on how you wheel. I beat the heck outof mine, so I upgraded to the Poly Performance setup (high quality and rugged), but these may be overkill if you just do really mild wheeling.

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
I gave my stock rubi rails a few pretty good whacks last time out at katemcy rocks and they shrugged it off like nothing, pretty impressive
I'll prob still upgrade to something else for aesthetics at some point, but for protection, rubi rails hold up better than I figured.
they can usually be found pretty cheap too

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
I have been impressed with the stock sliders as well. I have seen a couple people whack 'um pretty good and I didn't expect them to stand up but, they did!

I think the only drawback would be body protection. They don't stick out very far.

RedRock just came out with an option on thier sliders if you are looking to save a few bucks. They make some nice, high end ones with a removable skin which is what I will be getting but, they recently released a "skinless" version which are pretty cheap for how beefy they are. I have had a chance to see these in person and they are built very strong. They are frame mounted so they will be very strong and you don't have to drill the body.

Anyway, take a look at these pics...They don't have any up of the "skinless" version yet but they have pictures of the skin version with the skin off. The difference is instead of the box suppports there wil be about 3 tube supports.

http://www.redrockfab.com/shop/jk-rocker-guards/4-door-jk-rocker-guards.html

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
I agree...the stock MOPAR rock rails are more then sufficient, and less costly as well...

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Rugged Ridge. Uses stock holes, serves as a step as well and is a good price. I have a set on my 2 door and i have beat the heck out of them and no issues.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have been impressed with the stock sliders as well. I have seen a couple people whack 'um pretty good and I didn't expect them to stand up but, they did!

I think the only drawback would be body protection. They don't stick out very far.

RedRock just came out with an option on thier sliders if you are looking to save a few bucks. They make some nice, high end ones with a removable skin which is what I will be getting but, they recently released a "skinless" version which are pretty cheap for how beefy they are. I have had a chance to see these in person and they are built very strong. They are frame mounted so they will be very strong and you don't have to drill the body.

Anyway, take a look at these pics...They don't have any up of the "skinless" version yet but they have pictures of the skin version with the skin off. The difference is instead of the box suppports there wil be about 3 tube supports.

http://www.redrockfab.com/shop/jk-rocker-guards/4-door-jk-rocker-guards.html
Those look a lot like the Warn ones I have on but without the skin. I put them on after bashing in the rail just under the passenger door (which was off, fortunatly) on the Big Sluice on the Rubicon. I had the factory sliders on but they didn't come up quite high enough. I did hear from one other Unlimited owner who did the same thing at the same place and, like me, the only body damage afer several runs through there and other wheeling.

The Warn's, and I am sure others, have that higher bar on there for a purpose. I would have welded a similar bar to the stock Rubicon's Rock Rails but got a very good deal on the Warn ones, which bolt onto the same mounting points. They have been though 3 times, last time yesterday, and have saved things more than once.

So, the stock rails are very good and adaquate for most. Jeep had their act together on them. However I and at least one other guy can attest that just a little more protection may be needed if you spend a lot of time in the rocks.
BTW, I still have the stock ones cluttering up the shop. Verrry good deal if someone can get to West Sacramento. I'll keep them until someone comes and gets them. PM me if interested.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I'll be getting my atozfabrication guard/sliders in about a week and once I install I will write a review. I've seen them on a few jeeps and I heard they are very soild. I like these ones also with the skin. Not sure they could be use as a step though.

·
Registered
899 Posts
The stock ones are pretty good but they can be easily damaged in/on the rocks. I bent my driver's side slider on a rock and the hit wasn't really all that hard, or at least it didn't seem that hard. The damage included some slight scratches to the body near the area where other parts of the rock touched as well as setting of the driver's side side airbag from out of the seat. Needless to say, later that day I ordered a set of Shrockworks.

I chose the Shrockworks because they go under and mount to the frame as opposed to the body. From what I have seen they would appear to be about the most stout slides out there.

The downer is Shrockworks is 6-8 weeks out from date of order. I am expecting them anyday now though, can't wait to get them on. Until then, I was able to get a pair of stock take-offs from Teraflex Plus (they wouldn't break up a set) for $100. Not bad, I figure that I should be able to sell them after I install the Shrockworks for the same $100.

·
Premium Member
3,985 Posts
Put me on the list of guys who like the stock rubi rails. I wheel the $hit out of my rails and they work good. Scrogg is the first that I have heard of that has wrecked a set.

There are some good aftermarket ones that are tough and give you some extra body protection and maybe a step.

Best bang for the buck= stock rubi rail

Attachments

·
Registered
254 Posts
my stock rubi modified DirtyFAB rails are holding up good! they are more than adequate for wheeling. the only reason I want to upgrade someday is to get a frame mounted set to use for hilift jacking. but since there aint any jacking going on, who cares for now!:laughing: i say, get some stockies and weld a rail/step on to em for some more body protection and then slam em and drag em on some rocks:thefinger:

·
Registered
313 Posts
Just got my RockHard Rocker Guards delivered today. Judging by what they weigh and RockHards rep for over-building everything they should do the job.

Frankly, I didn't want to spend quite that much money but my wife was a "little" unhappy with the RE 3.5 Lift (that netted 4 3/4 in the front) and the 35"s that made it hard for her to get in and out of so I wanted something that incorporated a nice step.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts