JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting a 09 rubicon unlimited 4dr in a few days and would like some input and PICS! I'm trying to decide between 3 and 4 inch lift. I want to put 35's on it. It will be a daily driver with some off road use. I don't want to have to climb up into it (i'm 6' tall), I don't want it to look like a monster truck. I have no budget just wanna get it right. I'm going with a BDS lift because that's what my off road center suggests. Also should I be concerned about the drive shaft? Guy says Rubicon will be fine for either lift. Lastly I'm looking for a cool Black rim with some chrome, but not too much chrome maybe just on the outside. Please help me, my eyes are blood shot from searching the internet for answers!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
How many times are you going to post this same thread?

First off, no budget? If no budget the BEST lift you can buy is a Poly Performance lift, period. Forget what your shop is trying to push because they get a kick back from them, go Poly.

Second, are you sure all you want are 35's? No chance for 37's? If not then you might look into doing more along 3" of lift with heavy duty springs when you add bumpers.

At 4" of lift I would replace the drive shafts. I am sure you can get away with 3" and the stocks but people tear the boots all the time, some even while at stock height.

How about gears, thought about doing a regear for the bigger tires? Just something else to figure in the budget (or lack of).

Search around the forum, there are tons of post and pictures to answer your questions.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks

sorry about the posts, i thought i had to put it in different forums. So poly is the way to go? I will call him and tell him thats what i want. Wouldn't 37's make it really high off the ground? I am adding a rear bumper to hold the bigger tire and may add ave front bumper later, he never mentioned anything about springs or gears. How important are new gears with 35's? and lastly should i be concerned with exhaust and a chip? Thanks any help is greatly appreciated since i'm new at this.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I'll x2 what Bigjerm said. I love my Poly lift and doubt that you'll find anything out there with better quality, engineering, and attention to detail.

I'm running 35's on my Poly 4.5" lift, but thats just because I already owned them. If I were buying new tires and wheels I'd spring for the 37's. If you ever wheel your JK in the rocks you will eventually want them. Too much is never enough. Really, it isn't. Once you're bitten by the bug you will always want more. OBTW, Its better to buy the right things the first time. Its cheaper that way.

Unless everwhere you go is downhill you will want to regear.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
I don't want to have to climb up into it (i'm 6' tall), I don't want it to look like a monster truck.
I'm 6' and have a Poly Performance 4.5" lift and 37's and have no problem getting in and out at all.

Also should I be concerned about the drive shaft? Guy says Rubicon will be fine for either lift.
He's wrong, although it will likely be okay in the short term. The front drive shaft will usually get the slip joint boot ripped off, and the boot at the t-case end of the front shaft may also split from the angle. They've also been a few instances of total driveshaft failure.

If you go with aftermarket shafts you will need adjustable control arms, so that you can set the pinion angle right, otherwise you'll run into premature failure issues.

It is not necessary to replace the shafts, but more than likely you will end up doing so sooner or later.

Lastly I'm looking for a cool Black rim with some chrome, but not too much chrome maybe just on the outside. Please help me, my eyes are blood shot from searching the internet for answers
Make sure you get the back spacing low enough. I started with 4.75" BS and it wasn't enough and I ended up adding some spacers. Around 3.75-4.25" would be good.

FWIW These are ProComp 7189 rims, 17x9x4.75BS, black with satin rim (now rock polished). The silver colored rim helps not show all the gouges and rock rash.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Rotorhead needs to post some pics of his rig but he 4.5" (I think) on 37's and it is tall yes but I could still get in the back seat of his 4 door with little problem and the back seat is way harder to get in than the front.

Sounds to me like you need to SLOW down and just shop man. Sounds like your shop doesn't know much and for the money you just spent on this Jeep do you really, REALLY, want to trust a shop with your rig + even more money when they seem confused too? Just slow down, wheel it stock, it wont kill you. I have been rocking my new JK stock since I got it just shopping around.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
if one of you get a chance, tell me what you would do....lift (4.5 poly)...drive shaft? gears? springs? tires(low street noise) ? wheels (17 or 18)? if you give me a list I can take it to him to do. the only other add ons will be front bumper and winch and back bumper to hold tire.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
if one of you get a chance, tell me what you would do....lift (4.5 poly)...drive shaft? gears? springs? tires(low street noise) ? wheels (17 or 18)? if you give me a list I can take it to him to do. the only other add ons will be front bumper and winch and back bumper to hold tire.
Off road tire and low street noise are not terms typically associated with one another. Of those I'd recommend either BFG KM2's or Toyo MT's as the most quiet. Go with a 17" wheel. You'll have more tire options available.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I agree with Bigjerm, you need to slow down. You need to do some research. Find a local Jeep club and wheel it stock for a little while, figure out what you need and want. Plus the club members will help you find what will be best for you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You guys are right, sorry I guess I got over excited, just wanted to get it finished right away. Now that I think about it and here from you, I think I'll wait a few weeks drive it stock and do alittle more reseearch. I wish i knew someone close to here (Olean, NY) that had one done that I could see. Anyway thanks alot for slowing me down, and probably saving me alot of money and head aches for now.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Thats you best bet. It would suck to order a kit that ended up not doing what you want, or getting wheels and tires only to find out you need spacers and so on.

I had a 2 door, 2.5" of lift and 35's and it was great. Got the 4 door and had my sight set on 37's and had I jumped I would be neck deep in mod money right now. Glad I sat back and just wheeled it. I will probably end up with 2.5" and 35's and flat cut the fenders, maybe not, but I got time to figure it out.

:beer:

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Patience is a virtue H-bomb. Figure out what you realistically want to spend. I guarantee I could spend $15000 of your money in a heartbeat, not even trying hard. If you can do that and have no qualms about it then more power too you. But I think you'll find that its better to research some and figure out what others have tried, had good luck with, loved, or conversely just plain hated.

Theres a good amount of experience here and unlike Eddies 'lil village of misfit toys, everything is fair game. Use the search function and look in the write ups section.

Don't worry, your orgy of spending and modifications will happen soon enough :laughing:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
couldn't wait

Ordered and set build appt for 09 black rubicon. Went with 3.5" BDS Lift with premium shocks, Jesse James Black Widow 18's with 35 Bf's x 5. AVE front bumper with warn winch, skid plate, rugged ridge rock sliders, warn rear bumper and tire holder, rear brake light re-mount, IPF lamps. Pictures to follow. Build is November 5-6th.

·
Premium Member
15,301 Posts
Christmas came a little early this year, huh? :D Please post up some pics and feedback after the mods are done.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
almost done

My Build will be done tomarrow, can't wait. I saw the Jesse James Black Widow wheels, they look awesome. Hope it turns out good. I'll post pics as soon as I have some and can figure out how. Can't wait to get it muddy.
:bounce:

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Where are you located?

Have you ever used the shop that is doing the work? If not, my first suggestion would be to check some references on them to make sure they are up to the job.

Ask them for a couple of references you can contact, etc...I would not be as concerned about the installation of the lift (although that is important too), but if you do gears and some of the other technical things, I would want to make sure the shop perfroming the work is good.....all of the other suggestions above are right on...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.