JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://youtu.be/jJzQcRhAdbk

This is the first time that I've heard this noise. I have had some trouble with the Jeep starting about three other times. But never anything this bad and nothing while I was driving before.

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,098 Posts
Sounds like something on the front of the motor since it is speed dependent. Could be belt tensioner, power steering pump, alternator, air conditioning pump or water pump. But since you say that it is having problems starting, I would start with the starter itself. Take it off and have it tested.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
x2 what USMC said. Just guessing over the interweb I would say PS pump or Alternator.
Maybe try taking a video while stopped and with the hood up, walking from one side of the engine bay to the other to try and pinpoint which area the noise is coming from.

AMP

·
Registered
288 Posts
tension pulley? did you recently get it really wet or muddy? otherwise what they said.

mine went after doing this (picture attached).

mine started out like a whine, and got louder and louder.

·
Super Moderator
6,222 Posts
agreed: check the tensioner pulley for wiggles & dont forget that as the temp drops , belts begin to loosen-up ever so much which can exacerbate problems that weren't noticeable when weather was warmer ... belt could even be slipping a bit ? it's a totally different noise after you stop/start it and the 'after start' sounds like a loose idler pulley where the pre-restart sounds like belt slippage .
just my ¢.02
<edit: alternators going bad this time of year (cooler) are very common if it isn't the starter as mentioned >

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like it coming from the trans area. I'll have to check again but I did get a couple videos

·
Registered
278 Posts
If it sounds like trans area, check where the exhaust crosses over and make sure it's not laying on the skid bar underneath it. I keep bending that bar up in to my exhaust, but never get a noise like that. Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
195 Posts
An old Mechanic's trick to pinpoint a sound from an engine or hear it better is plug on ear really well and touch the engine (while running) with a long screwdriver. Then put the handle to your unplugged ear. Just pay careful attention to belts, pulleys and other moving objects when you lean into the engine.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Mines was squealing pretty good. Dealer replaced my water pump today.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea that was what they guessed for mine too. Appointment is tomorrow but I dropped it off yesterday.

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,098 Posts
Yea that was what they guessed for mine too. Appointment is tomorrow but I dropped it off yesterday.
Is it under warranty?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Turns out the starter was malfunctioning and still making contact with the flywheel. It was all replaced under warranty no problem. I still have the 50,000 mile powertrain warranty left.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts